PDA

View Full Version : Tapered roller bearings and carriers?

K-Dub
11-21-2005, 03:23 AM
My axle bearings went out sat, and I wanna go with a tapered roller bearing setup. I think the RPM set is probaly the best. Can I use the stock axle with the RPM carrier and bearings also the stock axle lock nut? I know the stock axle lock nut is not very good but I cant afford a billet nut right now. So can anyone tell me what I need besides the carrier, bearings and seals to go to a tapered setup?

chad502ex
11-21-2005, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by K-Dub
My axle bearings went out sat, and I wanna go with a tapered roller bearing setup. I think the RPM set is probaly the best. Can I use the stock axle with the RPM carrier and bearings also the stock axle lock nut? I know the stock axle lock nut is not very good but I cant afford a billet nut right now. So can anyone tell me what I need besides the carrier, bearings and seals to go to a tapered setup?

yes. just the carrier

K-Dub
11-21-2005, 06:27 AM
Thanks Chad.

CdaleXtreme
11-21-2005, 08:24 AM
With the tapered setup you lose alot of adjustability, and I believe it may require a special caliper bracket.

So you replace standard twin row bearings once maybe twice a year, and I have heard of people having to replace their tapered bearings much more often than that.

I personally dont see the advantage in spending the extra money.

shamisc
11-21-2005, 09:05 AM
I don't like tapered carriers. Too much maintenence. The twin row carriers always worked good for me. I had one for 3 years on my 400ex and the bearings are still good. As long as the seals are good and seal surfaces are good, the bearings will last a long time!;) Plus, they're cheaper than tapered carriers.

chad502ex
11-21-2005, 09:33 AM
i disagree. tapered carrier require a lot less maintenance than dual radial carriers. one of the main reasons they last a lot more time is that they have more roller surface area to distribute the pressure across the roller vs. a radial ball bearing single point. I've ran the tappered for years across PA rocky mountain terrain for years and these type are the only ones that hold up to the abuse.

The rad tappered carriers are shipped pre-assembled and with the brake caliper bracket.

K-Dub
11-21-2005, 02:06 PM
The RPM set Im looking at came assembled with caliper bracket on it also. Thanks for all the replys. I was looking at the tapered for my wieght, as I wiegh equal to the bike and was looking for the added strenght.