PDA

View Full Version : Is Compression Adjustment Necessary? How about new A-arms?

04TRX400EX
11-21-2005, 12:23 AM
So I have been trying to figure out what I am going to do for my front suspension and have a couple of questions. Quad is a '04 Honda 400EX. I was originally looking at some Elka Rec Series for the front, then started looking at the Sports/Race ones cause they have piggybacks and compression adjustment. Plus the people at Elka suggested the Sports/Race ones from the little survey I took online. Here's my questions:

1. Do you really need compression adjustment for recreational-type trail riding? I don't do any MX or anything, I just have fun riding and jumping. I know the piggybacks help with shock dampening fade, but I don't know about compression.

2. How are the stock Honda a-arms? When I get new shocks should I upgrade those too?

I am just trying to figure out the best setup for me. I don't have an unlimited budget and the Elka Rec series are like half the price of the Sports/Race ones, then there's the a-arms too.

Colby@C&DRacing
11-21-2005, 08:52 AM
if your bushings and balljoints are good in the stock arms then you don't need to replace them and if later on down the road you do get different arms (wider) you can have the shocks revalved for that.. as for needing the compression adj it is a nice feature but if you don't want to spend the money get the economy shocks now if you feel in the future you need the adjustment either sell the economies or up grade them with ressivors.

04TRX400EX
11-21-2005, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the reply Colby. That sounds like a definite possibility of what I am going to do to start.

Anyone else have any experience with Rec Series vs. others with or without new a-arms?

Smoker
11-22-2005, 07:07 AM
The compression will give you that little bit of extra tuning but for hard play riding, but you will be more than happy with the rec shocks. When I bought my 400 I bought a used pair of works for the front and it was an eye opener as far as the difference suspension plays in making a bike more rideable and making you faster everywhere. I would save money and buy the rec shocks, and use the money to get your back shock set-up, it will feel like you went from a 400ex to a 250r as far as the handling changes. The stock arms are fine, until you decide to get +2's and an axle, because spending the money on arms won't be worth it until you do all of that. You can always send your rec shocks in the get the rezzie added later anyway.

parkers30
11-22-2005, 07:19 AM
my Dad's Z has Rec series on Factory A arms and when we go on long rides he wont stop talking about them, if he switches to the 400ex he won't stop complaining. They are a great upgrade, and if you feel you need more later, you can upgrade them again, although it may be more cost effective to sell and buy the race series