PDA

View Full Version : help-how to put a k&n jet kit in

honda 400ex 69
06-23-2002, 06:08 PM
i am getting the t-4 slip on pipe and the k&n jet kit does ne one know if its hard to re jet with the jet kit

if ne one has ne tips i will take them? like what do i need to take off?

06-23-2002, 06:38 PM
i have the same question but on a 300ex not a 400ex
thanx
patrick

TheChknhwk
06-23-2002, 07:18 PM
Answer to what you need to take off is - EVERYTHING. You have to take the seat off (no big deal). Then you have to take all of the plastic pop rivets out of the front fender assembly, then remove the 4 bolts under the front fender wells, and then flip the fender assembly forward. You could take it completely off if you wanted to undo the headlight wiring - I did not.

Then you have to disconnect the rubber hose from the gas tank to the carb & take the gas tank off. The clip that holds the hose on the carb is a pain in the dick to get off & on, but then again, I'm a retard. Then take the gas tank completely off & now finally you can get to your carbuerator, which coincidentally you might as well take right out.

At this point you can start following dynojets instructions which leave all of those previous details out. Oh yeah, the directions from dynojet suck! They give info on the needle jet, but have no instruction on the main jet, only a picture really. BTW, the mainjet & fuel mixture screw are on the bottom of the carb & almost impossible to adjust when it's all put back together. Luckily mine runs great w/the stock fuel mixture. Seeing that I forgot to adjust the fuel mixture like they said before I put it all back together & didn't want to take it apart.

I'm riding in MI below 1000' elevation w/the airbox lid off & the 160 main jet, needle clip on 3 & I have to say this was worth the 140 bucks. I smoke my old man's 400 which is brand new & mine is 2 yrs old.

I might be over stating the difficulty of installing this kit due to my mechanical defficiencies, but someone who knows their bike & has good tools could probably do this in under 45mins. It took me more like 3 hrs, LMAO!

06-23-2002, 07:23 PM
not to be rude, but if you don't know how to put a jet kit in then you shouldn't be doing it because it won't be jetted right in the end anyway. my .02 cents

TheChknhwk
06-23-2002, 07:38 PM
Was that a flame? LOL. My motto is you can't learn anything if you don't try it... The only good directions Dynojet give w/this kit is the jetting instructions. They tell you where to put the needle clip & what main jet to use depending on elevation, whether you have stock exhaust, w/& w/out lid & w/performance exhause w/& w/out lid. In that regard it was easy to make the jetting decisions, just had to read the damn paper...

06-23-2002, 08:05 PM
I didn't mean to flame anyone, but like if you don't know where jets go then .. iunno. But don't listen to the instructions it'll jet your bike like **** .. that was my experience anyway