PDA

View Full Version : Mods for an 04 EX

jjohnst03
11-20-2005, 10:18 PM
I am looking at some mods for my bike.

I want the basics.

Air Filter
Jet Kit
Pipe(Would like a full system, but I dont know if I have the money for it.)

I am also thinking about the Curtis Sparks Timing Key.

What pipe would you sugest to run with the timing key? I was looking at either the Dr. D slip on or an HMF slip on. I dont really want to spend over $500.

Thanks for any suggestions.

KOG
11-21-2005, 06:44 AM
i have a hmf on my z400 and it really helps at top end and bottem end but i wouldnt get a full pipe unless u are going to do alot more modding

Colby@C&DRacing
11-21-2005, 08:26 AM
the degree key works well with any pipe as for which one they are both good slipons. You can do these mods for $345 shipped or under depending on the pipe the HMF is a little less.

jjohnst03
11-21-2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
the degree key works well with any pipe as for which one they are both good slipons. You can do these mods for $345 shipped or under depending on the pipe the HMF is a little less.

Which one do you prefer the Dr. D or the HMF? I was also thinking about GT Thunder. Do they make a slip on?

400EX QUADER
11-21-2005, 08:44 AM
I sent you a pm..;)

04TRX400EX
11-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Definately go with the Dr. D! I have one of my '04 with a K&N air filter w/Outerwears and it runs great. I had to slightly increase my main jet size (148-150) but that's it. I love the way it sounds and you can feel the power difference. I think that HMF makes a great pipe too that will actually give you a little more power, but they are really freakin loud compared to the Dr. D. As for the jet kit, unless you are going to be riding in varying conditions and elevations, you really don't need to spend the money on an entire kit. Just go to your dealer and pick up a couple different sizes for like $2 each.

jjohnst03
11-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Loud isnt that bad. I dont ride anywhere that requires a certain sound level. I do ride around the house, but the neighbors wont say anything unless its really late at night.

I have never jetted a quad before and I heard that the dyno jet kit makes it easier to do it. As far as picking the sizes for the jets and stuff. I have no experience with any of them though.

Thanks for the replies.

2004exrider
11-21-2005, 08:14 PM
I'll try and make it a little easier for ya, so you dont have to buy a jet kit. The main jet (the one youll have to replace) is located on the bottom of the carb, there is a 17mm cap. Unthread that, underneath it there is a brass jet under it, that will take a 6mm socket, unthread that. I'd say go up to the dealer now and pick up a few kehin jets from 155-165 that will be a good starting point. Do spark plug checks after rejetting to see if its running right. Black spark plug will mean its to rich, white spark plug will be to lean, grey-light brown means you have it where you want it. any other q's feel free to ask or pm me.

Jimmy

jjohnst03
11-21-2005, 08:34 PM
I didnt figure I would have a problem putting the jets in. I just wasnt sure on what sizes and stuff to go with. Thats why I was just going to get the kit so I would have it all covered for anywhere I go.

04TRX400EX
11-21-2005, 09:49 PM
Like 2004exrider said, pick up a couple of different size jets. Start small and work your way up if you need to. A lot of people seem to run 155 main jets or somewhere around there, but I only have to run a 150, when stock is 148. So it all depends on where you live and what you end up doing. A dealer should have a good idea of what you will need, and make sure to check the plug.

Wandell
11-22-2005, 08:36 PM
My 400ex had a Pro Circuit slip on installed when I purchased it. I can't give a performance comparison to the stock silencer, but it sounds awesome! :D