PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Valve with Timing Advance Key

FoxMxRiders
11-20-2005, 07:05 PM
I hear that this is more difficult to put the motor to TDC with the advance timing key.That sound right in theory but how hard it's to put the engine at TDC with the key??I don't want adjusting valves on my Ex become to be a pain.

Thanks

03pissedoff426
11-20-2005, 08:25 PM
it's relativly the same method as with the stock key. you would adjust the intake valves when the exhuast are at the bottom of the stroke " meaning all the way open " as long as your cam is installed right that will work. and then just do the same for the exhuast side. adjust at bottom of stroke for intake valves. atleats thats how i do it.

wilkin250r
11-21-2005, 12:34 PM
There are numerous methods for finding TDC. Your timing mark on your flywheel is the least accurate.

In reality, you don't need to be "exact", you just need to be pretty close. All you have to do is use some other method OTHER than the flywheel mark to find TDC.

Chino886
11-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
There are numerous methods for finding TDC. Your timing mark on your flywheel is the least accurate.

In reality, you don't need to be "exact", you just need to be pretty close. All you have to do is use some other method OTHER than the flywheel mark to find TDC.

At tdc, are the lobes facing up or down, I have always used the mark on the flywheel....

MIKE400EX
11-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Adjust the intakes when the exhausts just start to open.
Adjust the exhausts when the intakes are closing.

FoxMxRiders
11-22-2005, 03:46 PM
This will not change anything at adjusting valves.Yes when I will turn the flywheel to the "T" mark,I will be off a little but not enough to don't be able to adjust valves.

That's what I was thinking.

Thanks

FoxMxRiders

wilkin250r
11-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
At tdc, are the lobes facing up or down, I have always used the mark on the flywheel....

The lobes are facing down.

When the lobes come UP, they push the rocker arms UP. There is a pivot in the middle of the rocker, so when you push one end up, it pushes the other end down. The other end is the valves, and pushing them down opens them.

Lobes are facing down at TDC, because the valves need to be closed.

wilkin250r
11-22-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by FoxMxRiders
This will not change anything at adjusting valves.Yes when I will turn the flywheel to the "T" mark,I will be off a little but not enough to don't be able to adjust valves.

I haven't looked at it, but it's possible that it MIGHT make a difference, but you're probably right. It's unlikely. I know they don't open and close at exactly 180 degrees, but I would think the intake and exhaust should be closed for at least 90 degrees on either side of TDC. 6 degrees shouldn't make a difference.

But don't rely solely on my speculation. It's YOUR motor that blows up if I'm wrong.

FoxMxRiders
11-22-2005, 06:07 PM
Im studying in mecanic then I ask my teacher and said what I said below.That's logical.