PDA

View Full Version : A-arm removal help

Sturmgiest
11-20-2005, 05:10 PM
How do you remove the a-arm stems from the streering knuckle? I've been hitting it with a hammer for an hour and am getting nowhere. Is there a tool I should be using? What tool are you guys using, and did you have to use a torch?

450robot
11-20-2005, 09:00 PM
never use a hammer!!!! you will mushroom the stems of the balljoints! and then they will be useless

go to an auto store, and buy a balljoint seperator tool, i think the have them for airhammer tools, and just hand tool versions too

metalmellinium
11-20-2005, 11:09 PM
If you do use a hamemr put the nut back on and hit it

yfz128y
11-22-2005, 04:27 PM
If you know any one with one of those hand crank presses use that and it will slide right out. You have much better leverage with one of those and you wont damage any thing.

OKTRX450R
11-23-2005, 10:05 AM
When I did mine I found a bolt that would just barely fit between the uppers and lowers...I put a nut on the bolt and slid it in...then I unscrewed the bolt out of the nut and pushed the ball joints out.

Measure the distance between the bolts of the joints...buy a bolt that will just barely fit between them (may have to buy a longer bolt and cut a bit off with a hacksaw or whatever you have) then buy a nut to fit the bolt.

Also, I used a larger diameter bolt then the joint...

Kovatch
11-29-2005, 07:19 AM
When I am seperating them, Iloosen the nut most of the way then take the socket and a hammer and pound the crap out of the socket. After about 5 solid whacks it should drop or pop right out. The socket may show some marks on it, but I use a set thats 50 years old so I'm not worried about them

ACEwrench
11-29-2005, 10:07 AM
you can use a dead blow hammer(i turn the wheel slightly and strike the side of the spindle)....i have been putting anti-seaze on the ball joint shafts and they seem to come out alot easier....

Shocka400ex
11-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by ACEwrench
you can use a dead blow hammer(i turn the wheel slightly and strike the side of the spindle)....i have been putting anti-seaze on the ball joint shafts and they seem to come out alot easier....

Believe it or not this seems to be the best way. I know it sounds funny hitting the spindle with a hammer but if you have taken a-arms off before you will find out the hard way by hitting the balljoint. Most ball joints cost anywhere between 25-35 bucks X4.
I ask DFR how they remove them and this way seems to be the best.

Jack the quad off the ground so suspension is loose. Start with the top. Take off nuts of course. Pull up on the top a-arm and tap spindle with a good size hammer. Then do the same for the bottom.