PDA

View Full Version : gas octane limits!!!!!

eldoexrider01
06-23-2002, 02:28 PM
i have a 01 400ex with wb e series slip on ground our welds in header a wb all around cam and titanium valve springs. k&n power kit with stage 2 jets and no air lid. how high of a octane gas can i go b4 it stops making performance increases??????
i dont know if this ? has been beat to death but id like to know because i had an offer to buy some high octane gas for a good price. any replys are greatly appreciated!!!!!

crashinmatt
06-23-2002, 02:40 PM
ok, im not sure on this, but i dont believe the higher octane will produce more power. its just that higher compression motors need higher octane so that they dont detonate. but the higher octane fuels usually contain lead and they burn a little cooler. thats the only real way that u may make a little bit more power. in my personal opinion i would possibly mix it 50/50 with like 92 octane pump gas. if ur runnin less than 11:1 compression then u shouldnt need any more than that. i believe im close on this but im not totally sure either. just a start maybe someone else could say if im right or not.

honda250xrider
06-23-2002, 02:44 PM
i would say 93 for you would be fine

Leo
06-23-2002, 04:27 PM
if your still running the stock compression ratio, you should be fine on super unleaded.. you won't really see any gains from going to race gas (but is sure does smell good!)..

my cr is floating right around 10.5:1 or so, I have heard it ping a few times under certain conditions, but I think that was a jetting issue (which I've since corrected)... It runs fine on 94 now, in the heat of summer I may consider running a 50/50 mix w/ race gas if it starts to ping..

Leo

rdmex
06-23-2002, 05:19 PM
i am runnin 93 octane with a cup of 103 octane nitro methane added to it.

06-23-2002, 06:17 PM
i run 93 octane with a couple drops of +104 octane booster

rdmex
06-23-2002, 08:37 PM
since when???? exracer???

Jimmy Lee
06-23-2002, 11:24 PM
Pump gas should be fine maybe a cap or 2 of straight alcohol every tank but its not that higher octane fuel gives you more power Higher octane ignites at a lower temp. causing your engine to burn cleaner and cooler. The cooler your engine runs the more power you can release and i dont know if you paid attention in Science class or not but hot air expands..If the air inside the cylinder is cooler that leaves more room for fuel and leads to better air/fuel ratio. also helping free Horses!!
Hope this helps
JJ

airheadedduner
06-23-2002, 11:52 PM
WTF are you putting alcohol in your fuel system for???? Alcohol not only draws water it messes up jetting. Gasahol should be avodid not made, it messes up atv motors bad.