PDA

View Full Version : crank freezing

tman
11-19-2005, 03:36 PM
to start off I don't have the honda tools or a press to get the left side crank in the side case. I do have new crank & bearings. Hope to try freezing the crank & heating the bearing. How long to freeze the crank? How long and what temp to warm the bearing? Also how long to warm side case so I can put the left side crank & bearing in ? thanks all

Rich250RRacer
11-19-2005, 05:55 PM
The crank bearing should be pressed in the case, it you can't find someone to do that, then heat the case in the oven to about 250-350 degrees, this should let the bearing drop in, especially if you freeze the bearing. As far as getting the crank set in the case after the bearing is installed, freezing just the crank might do it, but if it doesn't, use a heat sink on the bearing. This means using a piece of steel stock heated up with a torch or in the oven and placing it on the inner race. This will expand just the inner race enough to drop the crank in. If you apply heat with a torch directly to the bearing you stand more of a chance heating the entire bearing and the bearing bore in the case which can cause distortion, since you are only heating one small portion of the case. I have all the tools for 250R and CR applications, but use this method when working on other models or brands, and it works very well. I use a piece of round steel stock about 1 1/2" in diameter and about 2 inches long. If you use an oven, heat it to about 500-600 degrees, or if you use a torch, until it glows faintly red. Usually the hotter the better. After you have it heated, quickly get it to the case and set it on the inner race. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and the crank should fall right in. Make sure you have everything close by and most importantly, when you slide the crank in make sure it's straight, the cold crank will tighten the bearing up almost immediately, and it could bind if not straight.

tman
11-19-2005, 07:49 PM
thanks Rich. Lots of great info. I called servicehonda to get the righ tools. They told me Honda only likes to send the tools to dealers. They said, We can order the tools but can't say when you will receive them maybe months. May go to local Dealer tosee if they'll order them for me. By the way, I'm from the great state of Ohio also.

Rich250RRacer
11-20-2005, 09:42 PM
If you have a OEM Honda service manual, you can get the part numbers for the tools from it. It only took about a week to get mine.