PDA

View Full Version : best HELMET?

reichart90
11-18-2005, 06:16 PM
i have a no-name helmet that i got with my quad when i bought it used. it fits me extremely well.... but im not too sure about its quality in the event i hit my melon. what is the best quality helmet for the money. or in better words... what helmet gives me the most for my money? (i.e quality, function, looks.) also the one i have now lets in a lot of dirt. i usually have the dirtiest face at the end of the day from riding. haha and no im not afraid of gettin dirty... its just inconvenient.

reichart90
11-18-2005, 06:19 PM
haha.. found this pic on the one thread with the random pics.

i think i could pull it off. lol

11-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Shoei or Arai.

450robot
11-18-2005, 07:50 PM
m2r's have always saved my noggin from shock since the first time i ever set foot on a quad

trx400exxracer
11-18-2005, 07:52 PM
I would say ONE INDUSTRIES they make top of the line helmets you can get a real nice one from them for about $150 and HJC also make real nice helmats check both of them out but I would go with one industries if you want the helmet with the best quality.

11-18-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
I would say ONE INDUSTRIES they make top of the line helmets you can get a real nice one from them for about $150 and HJC also make real nice helmats check both of them out but I would go with one industries if you want the helmet with the best quality. One industries helmets have a terrible crash test rating. Most Korean helmets do.

With all of the recent head injuries and deaths I have done a lttle research (with the prodding of a good friend) on the different helmets. This might be a long post so bear with me but I wouldn't take the time to post it if I didn't think it was important to everyone.
I always thought that all helmets with a Snell certification sticker on them were the same. Maybe not? In order for a helmet to become Snell certified it has to pass their testing procedure. I recently talked to the head man at Snell and I will give you a mini version of how they test helmets. They put a dummy head in the helmet and then drop the helmet from a certain height onto a steel object. If the "G" forces that are transfered to the dummy head exceed 300 G's then the helmet fails. If the G force measures under 300 then it passes and receives the Snell certification sticker. Here is the catch....I have been told by a very credible source that the Korean made helmets such as Thor, HJC, Fox, 661, Troy Lee, etc. usuall all pass with a rating of 275 to 295 G force and receive the Snell approval. Good news right? Not so fast....Shoei and Arai helmets typically pass at 160 to 180 G force. Now I am not saying that these riders such as Ben Davis would be with us today if they were wearing a Shoei or an Arai but all of these riders that died were wearing a Korean made helmet. I asked Snell for a copy of the testing reports for the various helmets and was told that they can't release that information except to the helmet manufacture. I think we need to lobby for these results to be made public. If I was Shoei or Arai I would not have a problem doing this, however if I was a manufacture that is coming in at 295 G's I would. I for one have ordered a Shoei helmet for myself even though I currently receive other helmets free. Hopefully my sponsor will understand. If not, oh well....I'm not going to compromise safety to save a few thousand dollars. I know list price on a Shoei or Arai is over $400.00 and the others are half of that, but can you really put a price tag on this? Most of us have an aftermarket exhaust ....if necessary stay with stock and use the money for a better helmet.

trx400exxracer
11-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by MXFourTwoEight
One industries helmets have a terrible crash test rating. Most Korean helmets do.

With all of the recent head injuries and deaths I have done a lttle research (with the prodding of a good friend) on the different helmets. This might be a long post so bear with me but I wouldn't take the time to post it if I didn't think it was important to everyone.
I always thought that all helmets with a Snell certification sticker on them were the same. Maybe not? In order for a helmet to become Snell certified it has to pass their testing procedure. I recently talked to the head man at Snell and I will give you a mini version of how they test helmets. They put a dummy head in the helmet and then drop the helmet from a certain height onto a steel object. If the "G" forces that are transfered to the dummy head exceed 300 G's then the helmet fails. If the G force measures under 300 then it passes and receives the Snell certification sticker. Here is the catch....I have been told by a very credible source that the Korean made helmets such as Thor, HJC, Fox, 661, Troy Lee, etc. usuall all pass with a rating of 275 to 295 G force and receive the Snell approval. Good news right? Not so fast....Shoei and Arai helmets typically pass at 160 to 180 G force. Now I am not saying that these riders such as Ben Davis would be with us today if they were wearing a Shoei or an Arai but all of these riders that died were wearing a Korean made helmet. I asked Snell for a copy of the testing reports for the various helmets and was told that they can't release that information except to the helmet manufacture. I think we need to lobby for these results to be made public. If I was Shoei or Arai I would not have a problem doing this, however if I was a manufacture that is coming in at 295 G's I would. I for one have ordered a Shoei helmet for myself even though I currently receive other helmets free. Hopefully my sponsor will understand. If not, oh well....I'm not going to compromise safety to save a few thousand dollars. I know list price on a Shoei or Arai is over $400.00 and the others are half of that, but can you really put a price tag on this? Most of us have an aftermarket exhaust ....if necessary stay with stock and use the money for a better helmet.

the thing is that people don't want to spend that much money on a helmet when the company probably makes them for half that price or less one hemet I know that was really durabl was O'NEAL they have real durable helmets for a reasonable price

but rock mounntain has a closeout on helmets here is the link

www.rockymountainatv.com/closeouts.do?navTitle=Helmet+%26+Goggles&webCatId=2&webTypeId=73&navType=closeout

11-18-2005, 08:49 PM
the thing is that people don't want to spend that much money on a helmet when the company probably makes them for half that price or less one hemet I know that was really durabl was O'NEAL they have real durable helmets for a reasonable price

but rock mounntain has a closeout on helmets here is the link

www.rockymountainatv.com/closeouts.do?navTitle=Helmet+%26+Goggles&webCatId=2&webTypeId=73&navType=closeout Umm, you seem to be missing the point.

trx400exxracer
11-18-2005, 09:07 PM
Umm, you seem to be missing the point. what I am saing is $400 is too much when you can find a helmet like O'NEAL for reasonable prices or if you want a really nice painted expensive helmet go to the closeout link I posted

11-18-2005, 09:10 PM
what I am saing is $400 is too much when you can find a helmet like O'NEAL for reasonable prices or if you want a really nice painted expensive helmet go to the closeout link I posted How do you know an O'neal helmet is good?

trx400exxracer
11-18-2005, 09:27 PM
How do you know an O'neal helmet is good?

I had one and put to the test

one time I went up a hill to steep on my dirtbike couldn't make it and fell down thehill while flippin and hittin my hed on the ground

At a race one time at the start 20 riders going into the woods I was 5th place and a guy went sideways in front of me and I hit him which threw me and my quad banging against eachother and I hit the ground hard and got away with no injuries in the head area (lol)

and my helmet is as good as new but I got a HJC and my O'NEAL is way stronger but the HJC is pretty nice too

11-18-2005, 09:29 PM
You should replace your helmet after every major impact. If you can't understand what I posted, then I take it back, you can buy a $79.99 helmet. I was just trying to help people.

trx400exxracer
11-18-2005, 10:06 PM
You should replace your helmet after every major impact. If you can't understand what I posted, then I take it back, you can buy a $79.99 helmet. I was just trying to help people.

I did have impact so I checked over my helmetit was okay

I do understand what you posted Buying a better helmet is better than buying a crappy ceapo and have a chance of dying but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to buy a 400 dollar helmet to keep your head safe there are plenty of helmets out there that don't cost as much that have good protection

and I actually did buy my HJC for $80 with my gift certificate or you can buy a helmet on closeout that is why I posted my link

CannondaleRider
11-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Just because it looks fine doesn't mean it is. The inner shell is what "breaks" and no longer does its job.

Its kinda like a shock in a way, it reduces the force put onto your head, but once it takes a hard hit(actually heard that even dropping it will render it useless), the shell no longer reduces that force. Sadly, very little people can afford a helmet everytime it takes a slight hit.

trx400exxracer
11-18-2005, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
Just because it looks fine doesn't mean it is. The inner shell is what "breaks" and no longer does its job.

Its kinda like a shock in a way, it reduces the force put onto your head, but once it takes a hard hit(actually heard that even dropping it will render it useless), the shell no longer reduces that force. Sadly, very little people can afford a helmet everytime it takes a slight hit.

yeah I bought a new one not to long after that but yeah I checked it inside and out and took out the pads and checked and everything, but I use it as a back up helmet but I am probably gonna get a new one soon

Prey
11-19-2005, 08:38 AM
i agree with you 428........... spend the $$$ and get a good helmet, forget about the exhaust and protect your brain.

and helmets do need to be replaced after every severe impact (read your booklet that came with the helmet "damage from impact may not always be visible but still may impact the integrity of the helmet")

as far as reccomending brand ...... i think some maybe preference, I ride with an HJC AC-X2 and am replacing for impact reasons with a Shoei Metal Melisha.

One thing i always look for is a helmet that has been snell and dot approved (not one or the other). The 2nd is comfort.

I think Suomy helmets are among the best you can buy, not only are they snell and dot approved but they are BSI approved too, this is very expensive and the MFG has to turn over 25% of the helmets per batch for the test & approval. Thats why most helmets do not have the BSI approval.

trx400exxracer
11-19-2005, 08:51 AM
^^^^ is HJC snell approaved I know it is DOT approaved but it din't have anything about Snell approaved on it

Sjorge450R
11-19-2005, 09:34 AM
I will only buy helmets that exceed snell and DOT. It depends, some HJC helmets are snell and DOT some are only snell.

JDiablo
11-19-2005, 10:00 AM
I love my fox pilot helmet,top notch,very light snell and dot approved as well

Prey
11-19-2005, 12:05 PM
all hjc helmets are not both, but the ac-x2 is snell and dot approved

^^^^ is HJC snell approaved I know it is DOT approaved but it din't have anything about Snell approaved on it