PDA

View Full Version : brakes

400EXtreme
11-18-2005, 04:51 PM
K well i just changed my back brake pads on my 2003 400ex and now there is no compression. I already tried bleeding it what else can i try or maybe im bleeding it rong.

11-18-2005, 05:04 PM
did u blead it thru the little nipple thing? and u put preasure on it and keep adding fluid till all the air buddle come out

400EXtreme
11-18-2005, 05:16 PM
u mean keep adding fluid to the resivor?

11-18-2005, 05:46 PM
yea, u atatch a hose to the little nipple thing, then open the caop were the break fluid is. then keep pressing the breaks and u will see breal fluid come out of the hose and ther will be little buddles in it, but dont let the break fluid go down to much in the resevor, just keep adding it.

400EXtreme
11-18-2005, 05:53 PM
how many times do i do it?

400EXtreme
11-18-2005, 05:55 PM
this is what i was told to do. Pump the break about 10 times hold it all the way down unloosen the bleeder then wait for all the fluid to come out then tighten it then do it all over agian ive odnt it bout 10-15 times nothing has happneed.

11-18-2005, 06:26 PM
yea thats whut you do but you have to pump the breaks until u feal pressure and ther are no more air bubbles

400EXtreme
11-18-2005, 07:04 PM
any chance that the piston inside wuold be ruined?

11-18-2005, 07:32 PM
it shouldent be, myn is a 2000 and its fine so yours should be good no dout.

also when ur pumping the breaks and dont see any more air buddles u have to titen that nipple thing while ur pumping the breaks.

JOEX
11-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Do not pump the brakes with the valve open! Just hold the lever/pedal, loosen the valve, tighten the valve, repeat. Don't worry about looking for bubbles, there could be some in the middle of the line. Just keep going till you get pressure back. Make sure the resevoir stays full during this process.

The seals for the piston could be bad, they are fairly cheap to replace if nothing else is wrong.

Is there any fluid leaking around the caliper?

400EXtreme
11-19-2005, 07:15 AM
i dnot think so let me check

trx400exxracer
11-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by 400EXtreme
this is what i was told to do. Pump the break about 10 times hold it all the way down unloosen the bleeder then wait for all the fluid to come out then tighten it then do it all over agian ive odnt it bout 10-15 times nothing has happneed.

that is the proper way to do it make sure you have a bottle or 2 of brake fluid to make sure if that fails rebuild the brake it is not that difficult

trx400exxracer
11-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
Do not pump the brakes with the valve open! Just hold the lever/pedal, loosen the valve, tighten the valve, repeat. Don't worry about looking for bubbles, there could be some in the middle of the line. Just keep going till you get pressure back. Make sure the resevoir stays full during this process.

The seals for the piston could be bad, they are fairly cheap to replace if nothing else is wrong.

Is there any fluid leaking around the caliper?

every time I change brake pads wether they are working good or not like he said there might be bubbles in the middle of the line so just do till the brakes get pressure back

400EXtreme
11-19-2005, 02:50 PM
thanks guys i fixed it. I knew it was fixed when it started shootinn out like 10 miles thanks

Abrannan19
11-23-2005, 03:55 PM
the key to bleeding theses brakes is....PATIENCE...it is a virtue in this time...also you from my on experince you have to pump slowly...thats when I got the best results and also it is a bit easier jacked up with the wheels off. oh yea one other thing no one mentioned in their threads (maybe obvious to a mechanic or someone who know what they are doing) but you do NOT have to leave the rezzie top on or the rubber piece in it or the clear plastic cap on... be sure to keep rezzie full during this procedure.

400EXtreme
11-23-2005, 04:10 PM
ya thats what i did i took the rubber thing out and stuff.

quad2xtreme
11-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Once you have built up some pressure, you can reverse bleed the brakes. You can do a search as many have known this trick long before I even owned my first dirt bike but I will recap the process:

1) Pump the pedal about 10 times to build up pressure and keep it pressed down.

2) Use a strap to keep the pedal held down as far as possible.

3) Crack the reservoir cap so air can escape but don't completely remove so dirt can fall in.

4) Let it sit for 8 hours and then repeat this process.

Can't explain why this works so well but it does.