PDA

View Full Version : Headlight question

Antony250R
11-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Does anyone know what the brightest bulb you could use with the stock stator?
The stock bulb is a 55/60watts.

JTRtrx250r
11-18-2005, 05:02 PM
I wouldnt go any higher than 78 watts including tail light

I can run 2 35 watters w/ an 8 watt tail light on mine, think thats pushing it tho, but its been great for a few yrs.... but I'd hate to burn out my lighting coil... so far so good, it dont have too much of a spike

I think the stock system puts out about 100 watts or so, but dont run a bulb (or lighting) past 75-78 watts or you'll be replacing stuff

Antony250R
11-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Is it possible to damage something? I thought the worst that could happen would be the new bulb would not light up to it's full capacity with the stock stator.

Tom TRX250R
11-18-2005, 08:33 PM
Yeah you can burn out your stator if run too high of wattage bulb. I am in the same boat as Jeremy, running two 35W bulbs in trail tech style lights and then the 8W taillight. I wouldn't go much over that because the stock stator puts out 100W. You can buy 200W stator from Ricky Stator for $150 or send it in somewhere to have them rewind it tighter.

lee37vernon
11-20-2005, 06:01 AM
i'm just about to rewind my own stator , the wire is like about 10$ tops . there is loads of info if you google it and when you have stator in hand you can see its not really much of a job . search xr650 stator on google or yahoo .

the only info i'm trying to categorically confirm at minute for this particular stator (as i want max 150w due to wiring in a reg/rec and battery that typically rate this max) is whether to run more coils with same weight wire or use a heavier guauge wire , i beleive whats on it is 18 but i'm visiting a motor rewind shop to collect the new stuff and get some advice . with the right info you could do it yourself for the cost of some epoxy resin and the wire .
when i've done it i'll let everyone know how it works and exactly what i did .