PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Harness Question

yumagirl
11-17-2005, 11:26 PM
First let me say I'm sorry for not putting this in the right forum ... but there didn't happen to be an "Electrical" forum (or anything else that I could find which could possibly envelope that category).

Here goes ... my delightful hubby decided to replace the batteries in our Polaris TrailBoss 330 (yr. 2003) tonight, in the dark, and didn't realize that he had hooked up the batteries backwards (apparently - he said that the new batteries had the same shape/configuration as the original Polaris batteries, but the polarization was reversed ... I didn't check, but he's not a complete idiot, so I believe him).

Anyway, after trying to start it a few times, he started smelling something odd and checked his hookups to notice that they were reversed. That's when I came on to the scene (upon hearing cursing coming from the garage, etc.). We hooked up the batteries with the proper polarization, then started the machine.

After about two minutes, smoke began wafting from under the plastics in front of the handlebar. We turning the machine off and saw that the connector which looks like it goes to the Electronic Control Module was fried.

Here's my questions.

1. It seems to me that the starter/solenoid should have fried - but I didn't see or smell anything from that area. So is it ok, you think (and if so, is there any kind of integrity tester for the wiring harness or starter/solenoid other than going to the dealer)?

2. Are the wiring harnesses on Polaris's straightforward to replace (if I were to order the factory OEM part, according to the schematic, it looks like a fairly straightforward plug and replace (along with unclipping/clipping and screwing/unscrewing a few mountings)?

3. Would I need to replace the Electronic Control Module, as well (it seemed like the male portion of the wiring harness connector had melted into the female portion of the Electronic Control Module - but I didn't get that far in the dark to be sure)?

4. Didn't Polaris put any kind of a fuse in the system to prevent something like this from happening (perhaps we somehow blew that, too)?

4. Am I asking the right questions?

thank you so very much for any help ... it is greatly, greatly appreciated!!

yumagirl

Colby@C&DRacing
11-18-2005, 08:11 AM
1. the starter/solenoid should be fine. As for the wiring harness it will always start to burn at connection points.

2. The wiring harness is straight forward and color coated at the controll board.

3. Sounds like you will need to replace the Electrical Control Module as it sounds like the connectors are melted together.

4. There should be a 2 fuses

Reversing the polarity will not always blow fuses.

yumagirl
11-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Ok, a couple more questions ...

1. If I were to get a new wiring harness and be able to replace it (getting it unclipped from the Electronic Control Module successfully) ... should I try that prior to purchasing a new ECM (the idea being that the ECM may not be damaged and need replacing ($200 part) ... or could there perhaps be something inside the ECM which might short out my new wiring harness??

2. Where the heck are the fuses (I've looked all over and don't see any ... are they in-line??) and what are they supposed to protect the wiring/components from?

thanks again sooooooooo very much!!!!

yg!

Colby@C&DRacing
11-18-2005, 01:45 PM
There is a starter fuse/ fusable link in a black plastic pouch back towards the battery this is the only fuse on that atv. I would try the harness first and go from there.