PDA

View Full Version : Lonestar's Outlaw Review

Pappy
11-17-2005, 02:44 PM
When the 450R hit the market, many atv aftermarket companies scrambled to make it handle better. The rear shock and linkage were one of the first area's addressed.

Lonestar's approach was to build a swing arm and linkage that worked and they have succeeded. Combine the excellent service Lonestar is famous for with a product that works at a reasonable price and you hit yourself a grand slam!

When I first recieved the unit, I must admit it appeared like a complicated deal. Swing arm, linkages, skid plates, nuts and bolts were all there for the buyer to assemble. Thankfully, the installation was completely straight forward and it was as simple as could be.

Pappy
11-17-2005, 02:47 PM
Every component went together like an aftermarket part should. There were no surprises what so ever. The kit came with every single part needed with one exception, a chain roller which is easily obtainable.

The new billet linkage is protected by an included gaurd, and a stainless skidplate is also included to protect the rear of the swingarm.

Pappy
11-17-2005, 02:50 PM
A longer chain was required as the unit I ordered was +1 1/4 . I wish I could say more about any issues encountered, but other then a stuck hub nut, installation was a snap.

Pappy
11-17-2005, 02:56 PM
After a good warm up, I grabbed a handfull of throttle and was off. After a decent ride, I thought to myself what I might say about the way it felt. Smooth was the very first word that popped into my head, along with the feeling the rear end just floated across the ground. There was no harshness, just one fluid motion that sure made me smile!

With my ride out of the way, I spotted my son standing patiently with his helmet on. I handed over the quad to him and for 45 minutes he rode in freezing temps to garner his own opinion.....or maybe he just wanted to ride my R:p

Pappy
11-17-2005, 03:01 PM
Watching the suspension work was enlightening. I was prepared to see the quad act as it did before the installation on kicker bumps or any obstacle that may make the rear end kick. I was very satisfied in seeing that it did not exhibit any of that now.

Riding over the lip usually would make the rear end kick up, but it tracked predictably when I rode and watching Cody proved it wasnt just me or in my head.

Pappy
11-17-2005, 03:03 PM
All terrain we hit in our ride was smooth. I can attribute alot of that feeling to the shocks, but the rear end in my opinion was a great improvement over the stock set up even with an aftermarket shock and linkage.

Pappy
11-17-2005, 03:06 PM
Under acceleration, the rear end would squat and staying on the gas was easier. The longer swingarm helped plant the rear tires and keep the front end down.

Pappy
11-17-2005, 03:09 PM
While I myself do not profess to be a jumper, Cody was feeling pretty comfortable on the quad and wasted no time in hitting his big tabletop. I cringed the first few times as he worked out the needed speed and timing for a full size quad, but in no time he was clearing it. He repeatedly commented on how smooth it all felt. I geuss coming off a TRX90 to this 450R is a little difference:D

Pappy
11-17-2005, 03:13 PM
If you would like technical information on this unit, you can view it along with pricing on Lone Star Racing's (http://www.lsracing.com) website.

After finally having my rear end matched with Lonestar's XC LT arms, I can't wait to get back on the trail or the track for some much needed seat time.

All in all, I am very happy with the final results and will keep everyone posted on how well she holds up!

Mxjunkie
11-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Dang Cody, you should trade your dad your 90 for that, he never rides anyways.. :devil:

Pappy
11-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
Dang Cody, you should trade your dad your 90 for that, he never rides anyways.. :devil:

I wouldnt say that too loud, he was quite taken with the way the quad feels now and asked if he could ride it more often. Before, he would ride it, but flat out said he did not like the way it felt.

11-17-2005, 03:31 PM
id like to see movies

Pappy
11-17-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
id like to see movies

the video recorder i want is $4800, the computer needed to handle the software is $1600. let me know when you are sending them and ill get you a movie:p

11-17-2005, 05:32 PM
Dana Creech watch out!

When i was his age the only thing i touched was a suzuki 160.. n i sucked on it

Great post!

cletusEX
11-17-2005, 06:22 PM
Let us know how that plastic link guard holds up. Actually you should let me take it for a spin around Tomahawks woods loop and give it a good test.:D

Pappy
11-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by cletusEX
Let us know how that plastic link guard holds up. Actually you should let me take it for a spin around Tomahawks woods loop and give it a good test.:D

if my shoulder felt better id be racing it with you on sunday:p

Dave400ex
11-17-2005, 08:00 PM
Very impressive looking setup. I do like how they made it possible to run skidplates. Better yet, it's all one kit...

11-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Very impressive looking setup. I do like how they made it possible to run skidplates. Better yet, it's all one kit...

ya no joke, 2 bad the price tag is so high...i wish i could get that on a sponsorship deal :macho

ThumPIN_450R
11-18-2005, 12:50 AM
my shock was shipped monday for mine now I guess all I need to do is order the rear end.

QuadRacer041
11-18-2005, 04:14 AM
looks awsome pappy,
the skid plate that protects the linkage, is it plastic?how do you think it will hold up for xc?

Pappy
11-18-2005, 04:23 AM
it seems to be pretty dang tuff. im not sure what type of plastic it is, but it should do ok. im sure that it will be the component replaced during the season, but its fairly inexpensive.

duncan440ex
11-18-2005, 04:38 AM
can't wait to get mine, they were all out and had to make me one. mine will be red and the linkage black. hope i get it before the ground freezes

Jersey450R
11-18-2005, 04:49 AM
As Paris Hilton would say, "Thats hot"! Haha, looks great Pappy and I'll bet it performs even better. That linkage cover is KEY! I'm lovin the chrome too. Its awesome to see that quad being built and go through many stages. Gonna try a EDT set up any time soon?! :D

Pappy
11-18-2005, 10:32 AM
EDT? im outta of the loop :p

im pretty excited with the final results of the Lonestar combo. I can honestly say this is worth the money spent. id like to keep going, im going to look into a LSR frame shortly:D

Jersey450R
11-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Pappy

Extreme Dirt Track, TT, lol. :p

Pappy
11-18-2005, 11:44 AM
lol..i was thinking it meant extremely dirty trails:D

i honestly dont know if i will ever race again. id like to think i will, but my health is not the greatest these days but im getting better so we will see.

11-18-2005, 11:59 AM
the video recorder i want is $4800, the computer needed to handle the software is $1600. let me know when you are sending them and ill get you a movie:p the video recorder I have is $500. it works on a normal computer.

OKTRX450R
11-18-2005, 12:36 PM
I too have the same setup as Pappy...I was concerned with putting it together too because it comes with so many parts...I PMed Pap and to his credit he gave me his number and said to call anytime and he would help out.

After digging into the pieces it is pretty simple to put it together. The instructions are definitely lacking and I commented to LSR regarding that and to their credit received an immediate reply stating the instructions would be fixed and more of the unit will be assembled by them in the future too...

I was just like Pap, will this really fix the Rs rear end??? First ride LS, OK and wow. I also installed the DC4 +2+1 Aarms and man it is the best handling quad I have ever ridden. It is so predictable now and smooth...

Second trip...Glamis...after the short 23 hour drive!!!

I was so impressed, as a matter of fact my wife now wants my R and wants me to get an 06! Finally after I have it the way I want it I can not get her off of it! Our kids are not old enough to ride anything this powerful yet so no worries there...Pappy has his son taking his ride and now I have my wife taking mine...BTW, she really did not like riding it much before all the suspension work.

Pappy
11-18-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
the video recorder I have is $500. it works on a normal computer.

then you should come here an make a movie:confused: ill be waiting for the gear I want;)

OKTRX450R

dead on with your post. i rode the quad again tonight and very very happy here. i have a bad chain:mad: but everything else is golden. i can deffinatley go faster then i need to now:D

Scro
11-18-2005, 04:49 PM

im pretty excited with the final results of the Lonestar combo. I can honestly say this is worth the money spent. id like to keep going, im going to look into a LSR frame shortly:D

Is the LSR frame supposed to be lighter than stock, or just stronger?

Pappy
11-18-2005, 05:23 PM
i dont know the weight, but anything has to be stronger then the stock frames:p

Dave400ex
11-18-2005, 09:36 PM
You haven't had any problems with your fully gussetted stock frame have you?

Pappy
11-19-2005, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
You haven't had any problems with your fully gussetted stock frame have you?

the way i ride:p no...lol

but there are times when i would like to throw a Pro or A rider on the quad to run a race and ive seen so many frames busted it has me on pins and needles. and i had also thought about using the stock frame for codys new quad and it allowed me the perfect excuse to get one from LSR:D

duncan440ex
12-03-2005, 02:54 PM
got my quad back today and the lsr outlaw is great like riding on a pillow of air can't wait to get it on a track.

LoneRacer
04-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Every component went together like an aftermarket part should. There were no surprises what so ever. The kit came with every single part needed with one exception, a chain roller which is easily obtainable.

The new billet linkage is protected by an included gaurd, and a stainless skidplate is also included to protect the rear of the swingarm.

I would like to inform all XC riders DO NOT buy this set up. I waited 3 months for the Outlaw link set up. Only to find out that the DO NOT Offer any protection to the Link. This link guard is discontinued.

But for all you MX racers it's a work of art! I have two for sale!

cb450r
04-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Thanks for bringing this back from the dead to inform us of that:rolleyes:

QuadRacer041
04-11-2006, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by cb450r
Thanks for bringing this back from the dead to inform us of that:rolleyes:

what the heck is that supposed to mean? you dont think that is information people want to know......:rolleyes:

Pappy
04-11-2006, 05:06 AM
I spoke to Dan a few weeks back at LSR and he stated they had a new link design . This could be the reason they do not worry with the "cover" for the linkage anymore.

I will call again today and see if I can get the scoop, but I am pretty sure this is thier reasoning.

bigz-71
04-11-2006, 07:50 AM
so does that swingarm/link work better than a elka shock with the new double link?

would yoiu perfer just getting the new swingarm and just keeping my elka shock i got now?

QuadRacer041
04-11-2006, 12:09 PM
I spoke to Dan a few weeks back at LSR and he stated they had a new link design . This could be the reason they do not worry with the "cover" for the linkage anymore.

I will call again today and see if I can get the scoop, but I am pretty sure this is thier reasoning.

pappy dont you agree that the link will get wrecked with no skid if your using it for xc?

duncan440ex
04-11-2006, 01:59 PM
i wrecked my guard in one trail ride

250RXCrider
04-11-2006, 03:56 PM
Don't most of the long travel links not get protected by the swingarm skid plate? I have an Elka link that I had to cut out the center of a PRM skid plate. I have buddies who run the GT Thunder and they had to cut it out as well. Just curious?

Pappy
04-11-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by QuadRacer041
pappy dont you agree that the link will get wrecked with no skid if your using it for xc?

no more so then any other link combo....and LSR has redesigned it for more clearance but I have not seen that one yet, I know its on the market tho. Lou, you want to buy my rear end set up, I'd be happy for you to give it a run.

bigz-71.....

I will say it works better then my stock swing arm, elka link and elka shock, but I havent run the Pro Link so I cant give you an honest opinion.

250RXCrider...yep....with all the aftermarket links you have to cut the skid to allow it to have full motion. this exposes the link to potential damage but its a risk all of us are taking for the added benefits offered by the links.

jb500ex
04-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by QuadRacer041
my houser link is still in really good shape, im using it on my06 also. they hold up pretty good and would not be concerned

bigz-71
04-11-2006, 04:38 PM
thanks pappy!

QuadRacer041
04-12-2006, 04:46 AM
no more so then any other link combo....and LSR has redesigned it for more clearance but I have not seen that one yet, I know its on the market tho. Lou, you want to buy my rear end set up, I'd be happy for you to give it a run.

bigz-71.....

I will say it works better then my stock swing arm, elka link and elka shock, but I havent run the Pro Link so I cant give you an honest opinion.

250RXCrider...yep....with all the aftermarket links you have to cut the skid to allow it to have full motion. this exposes the link to potential damage but its a risk all of us are taking for the added benefits offered by the links.

there just seems to be more parts to the lsr link, it kinda reminds me of a cr500 link. i have a gt thunder link for my 06. the gt thunder and elka links are more of just a differnt dog bone set up. which in my opinion is less likely to get damaged, the dog bone will get scraped and gouged of course but will slide up over rocks and such because of its shape. the lsr looks like it will get hung up on opsticales and not ride up over them.
not knockin the setup but to me its more of a MX set up....but thats just my opinion.