PDA

View Full Version : Cam instalation

ocoast2005
11-17-2005, 01:21 PM
puting in a cam on my 06 tomorow any tips or suggestions on how to will be greatly appreciated.

Ralph.nl
11-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Look at www.rockinhorseweb.com for a installation guide.

ocoast2005
11-17-2005, 02:13 PM
thank you Ralph. exactley what i needed great info man

Ralph.nl
11-17-2005, 03:57 PM
I used it for my 05 too, it was very useful.

On the end of the tour you'd better not tighten the rear (short one) headcover bolt with 7 lbf-ft, I broke mine yesterday. I think its better to tighten it by hand.

Good luck :)

11-17-2005, 06:18 PM
that is sweet:D

Smoker
11-17-2005, 07:21 PM
One step your instructions lack is taking the plug off of the left side of the motor to get true TDC, it doesn't quite get it there with the arrow on the right sidecase. Sorry if I missed it in there but it will make a difference.

Here's a link for the service manual if you have any other questions

Manual (http://www.bluezone.net.au/wheatbix/05trx450rSM.zip)

iric1
11-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Whatever you do, take your time! Kinda like "measure twice, cut once".

OKTRX450R
11-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Ralph.nl
I used it for my 05 too, it was very useful.

On the end of the tour you'd better not tighten the rear (short one) headcover bolt with 7 lbf-ft, I broke mine yesterday. I think its better to tighten it by hand.

Good luck :)

I would disagree...I think you are almost always better to torque a bolt if the manufacturer states you should torque it and provides a spec.

Now, the problem with torque is you need to alternate it. There are three bolts...for example, start with bolt 1 and tighten to 2 ft lbs...then 2, and 3, next bolt 1 again at 4 lbs, then 2 then 3 and so on. This is an exaggeration but you need to alternate the torque to not put too much stress on one bolt.

Same method when removing, do not take bolt 1 completely out before loosening bolts 2 and 3...break 1 loose, then 2, then 3 then remove them...see what I mean?

OKTRX450R
11-18-2005, 12:56 PM
I had heard this before after I did the write up...I tore my R back down and checked TDC via both methods and ended up with the exact same valve clearances so I do not understand the statement...even when I did the new head I did it the way listed in the write up and in the factory manual and then rechecked the valves from the mark on the other side...same...hmm, I would be interested in others comments too. I can change the write up if you all think it needs it...let me know.

I would not want to put any information out that could lead others astray...

Which reminds me...are there any other write ups you all are looking for?

I was going to do the axle and swingarm but they were so easy following the service manual I have not done it...

Originally posted by Smoker
One step your instructions lack is taking the plug off of the left side of the motor to get true TDC, it doesn't quite get it there with the arrow on the right sidecase. Sorry if I missed it in there but it will make a difference.

Here's a link for the service manual if you have any other questions

Manual (http://www.bluezone.net.au/wheatbix/05trx450rSM.zip)

ocoast2005
11-18-2005, 01:31 PM
thank you every one for your advise very helpfull

Smoker
11-21-2005, 01:12 PM
I would be interested in others comments too. I can change the write up if you all think it needs it...let me know.

I would not want to put any information out that could lead others astray...

[/B][/QUOTE]

I printed off your directions and had a problem, that's the only reason I'm mentioning. Everything else was spot on though. When I put my cam in, I couldn't get it to run and it would backfire (scared the crap out of my g/f once, pretty funny) then I started thinking about when I rebuilt my 400, so I popped the cap off of the flywheel and there are two marks, F and T, F for fire before TDC and the T, well you understand. Once I lined up the mark next the T and checked the marks on the right side, my valve clearances were off. I reshimmed, and it fired first kick. That's the only reason I'm mentioning it, the arrow on the right side can be interpretted different ways, I would line it up and see where the piston was to make sure it was TDC, and it appeared that way, but I couldn't get it right until I used the flywheel marks.

ocoast2005
11-21-2005, 01:47 PM
i used the info and it worked good .for valve adj i didn't use the mark , just made sure intake lobe was opposit of the valves and adjusted them then same with exhauste, also had to loosen the cam flange bolts a little then set it on tdc. not enough clearance to get a tool between the frame and allen bolt.
over all very useful link helped alot thank you