PDA

View Full Version : Tips On Removing Surgical Staples ???

Quad18star
11-17-2005, 01:16 PM
Anyone got any tips on removing surgical staples?? I have 3 on the side of my leg ( right below my knee) , that are bugging the hell out of me . It seems all infected and they are ripping the skin . If they were just normal "U" shaped staples , I'd just yank them out , but these suckers bend underneath ( looks like an opened rectangle) . I'd get my doctor to pull them out , but I can't get in to see him until Wednesday of next week , and frankly I can't wait that long .

Right now I've got an ice cube on it to numb the area so that I can yank them out , but I'm thinking I'm gunna have some difficulty .

Any suggestions??? :ermm:

11-17-2005, 01:17 PM
have someone else do it that doesnt like you so you can blame it on them :eek2: maybe some vicodin....your in canada so you have all kinds of drugs open to you :blah:

m_townsgreatest
11-17-2005, 01:23 PM
Maybe instead of pulling them straight out try to like slide part of it out from underneath your skin then just slide the other side out easily. Do you understand?

Quad18star
11-17-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
have someone else do it that doesnt like you so you can blame it on them :eek2: maybe some vicodin....your in canada so you have all kinds of drugs open to you :blah:

LOL .... trust me , if i had access to some good stuff , i'd have no problems pulling these suckers out . ;)

Theres no one around to do it for me either , and i gotta pull them out before my gf gets home , or else she'll give me chit for not getting a doctor to do it . :cool:

Quad18star
11-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by m_townsgreatest
Maybe instead of pulling them straight out try to like slide part of it out from underneath your skin then just slide the other side out easily. Do you understand?

Ya i'm gunna try that method .... hopefully that works or else theres gunna be a lot of cursing and yelling going on !!!!

EvilJester400EX
11-17-2005, 01:30 PM
Post pics before and after. :cool:

Quad18star
11-17-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by EvilJester400EX
Post pics before and after. :cool:

2 down ... 1 to go . Next time I'm telling them to use stitches .... way easier to pull out !!!!

Quad18star
11-17-2005, 01:49 PM
Here ya go EvilJester400ex

Kind of hard to see , but there's only 1 left

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/Quad18star/IMG_0376.jpg

Here's the staples ... these f'king hurt to remove when you don't know what you're doing !!!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/Quad18star/IMG_0375.jpg

My half shaved hairy leg ... all swollen and bruised ... a few days after the surgery . 8 staples across the knee ... 3 on the side .

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/Quad18star/IMG_0366.jpg

Mxjunkie
11-17-2005, 01:51 PM
lol greg your the man what the hell are you pulling them out with?

Quad18star
11-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
lol greg your the man what the hell are you pulling them out with?

First I iced it up ... since our ice pack was left sitting out on the table over night , I had to resort to an ice cube wrapped in Seran Wrap ( ran out of zip-lock baggies)... I then grabbed a pair of my girlfriend's tweezers to yank on them ( we won't tell her I did that OK ?? ) ... then used peroxide to take out some of the infection . :devil:

I know my doctor is gunna give me chit for doing this , but whatever ... I couldn't stand going another 6 days with these things bugging the hell out of me . :grr:

rneal
11-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Next time try cutting the staples in half, they pull out much easier. Dike pliers cut them pretty easily.

Quad18star
11-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by rneal
Next time try cutting the staples in half, they pull out much easier. Dike pliers cut them pretty easily.

That was the plan , but i got none here at my appartment ... the ones i do have at the house are full of grease too . :ermm:

11-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
That was the plan , but i got none here at my appartment ... the ones i do have at the house are full of grease too . :ermm: grease=numbing lubrication ky jelly would work, we know you have that greg :blah:

Quad18star
11-17-2005, 02:17 PM
grease=numbing lubrication ky jelly would work, we know you have that greg :blah:

My question to you is .... How the heck do you know KY Jelly is a numbing lubrication ??? On second thought please don't explain !!! :huh ;)

11-17-2005, 02:21 PM
My question to you is .... How the heck do you know KY Jelly is a numbing lubrication ??? On second thought please don't explain !!! :huh ;) i get lonely sometimes

bulkdriverlp
11-17-2005, 02:32 PM
well not to be smart or anything, use a stapler remover tool. they are made for the surgical staples. ive had over 300 in me at one time, i should know

Quad18star
11-17-2005, 02:35 PM
i get lonely sometimes

Ahhh ... don't we all?? ;)

PM me and I'll give you a great website that can help you in your times of lonelyness .... it was very similar to the "Girlfriends Picture" thread we had ... except a lot more revealing . :devil:

Only a select few know about it on here ... since you seem like an alright guy , I'll let you in on it . :cool:

Now as far as the staples removed ... I only pulled out 2 of the 3 on the side .... and God it feels so much better now !!!!:D

Quad18star
11-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
well not to be smart or anything, use a stapler remover tool. they are made for the surgical staples. ive had over 300 in me at one time, i should know

It would work even with them being almost a closed loop?? :confused:

11-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Greg....uh please PM me the link to the site you were talking about. That would be great:blah:

11-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Oh, and I would try to take the tweezers and pull out one side at a time, and soak the tweezers in icewater to make them really cold before you use them. And keep ice on the staple area too.

wilkin250r
11-17-2005, 04:58 PM
You're pulling out your own surgical staples.

I think this officially removes you from the list of "mentally stable". :blah:

AtvMxRider
11-17-2005, 05:02 PM
My question to you is .... How the heck do you know KY Jelly is a numbing lubrication ??? On second thought please don't explain !!! :huh ;)

Holy chit how in the hell do you get Dr. Pepper out of a keyboard. :D

AtvMxRider
11-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

Hey he's Canadian what do you expect:ermm:

11-17-2005, 05:06 PM
Hey i had staples in the exact same places u do.. i also remember in a thread awhile ago u broke ur leg similar to me.. u got run over by a dirtbike right?

N ur supposed to wait till u go to see the doctor again they have a special tool for it n im sure it hurts a lot less

When they yanked mine black blood came out then they put tape over it so it owuldnt get infected.. so i would recommend it

But when they ripped the tape off my knee some skin came with it.. kinda hurt lol

Im guessing u have a rod n screws in ur leg?

ballisticpb
11-17-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Honda MaNiAc 01
Hey i had staples in the exact same places u do.. i also remember in a thread awhile ago u broke ur leg similar to me.. u got run over by a dirtbike right?

N ur supposed to wait till u go to see the doctor again they have a special tool for it n im sure it hurts a lot less

When they yanked mine black blood came out then they put tape over it so it owuldnt get infected.. so i would recommend it

But when they ripped the tape off my knee some skin came with it.. kinda hurt lol

Im guessing u have a rod n screws in ur leg?

most of us have been following greg thru all his surgerys and staples
here is the thread
warning graphic images!!! (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122775)

whiteflash
11-17-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp

i have one of those tools. when i had surgery on my head i went to the doctor to get them taken out, but when we got home i found a few more laying around still dug into my head. but luckily, my mom kept the staple remover......shes weird like that.

bulkdriverlp
11-17-2005, 06:05 PM
yes, the pliers im talking about are designed to remove surgical staples. you can get them at any outpatient type office. they have a jaw in the middle in which you put it under the middle of the staple, when you squeeze the trigger the two outside jaws move up to pluck it out. its hard to describe, just go to clinic and ask for some.

weekendracer91
11-17-2005, 06:06 PM
grit your teeth and grab the pliers!

im just joking

yamablaster24
11-17-2005, 06:11 PM
I had 20 some in my right leg when i broke it on my 400ex. Have Titanium rod and screws holding my leg together. Mine were on my knee and my god they hurt like a *****. I just waited and they took them out with pliers that bend the staple out and they fall right out. Then they put butterfly strips and my skin was so watery it pulled off with the tape.

Rip_Tear
11-17-2005, 06:13 PM
( ran out of zip-lock baggies)... :

And you said you had no drugs, well I guess if you're out of baggies... lol

You are one crazy mofo, you can go to a walk in clinic, they have them every weekday, pretty much you just go and they'll help you out without an appointment, or even go to E-merge and they'd have taken the staples out for you np...

Quad18star
11-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

Having them suckers in there hurt more than when I broke my leg . LOL . I need to keep a tensor bandage wrapped around my leg to keep the swelling down and everytime I'd walk the bandage would rub up again the dressing I had covering the staples . It irritated the hell out of the skin and actually ripped the skin ( it was pulling) .

I've removed my own stitches before ... those were easy . Staples on the other hand were something completly new to me ... I got them figured out now . :devil:

I never said I was mentally stable either . :cool: :p

Quad18star
11-17-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
And you said you had no drugs, well I guess if you're out of baggies... lol

You are one crazy mofo, you can go to a walk in clinic, they have them every weekday, pretty much you just go and they'll help you out without an appointment, or even go to E-merge and they'd have taken the staples out for you np...

Ya I could have went to the walk-in clinic but I'd have waited there for too long .... and well emerge I'd still be there . :ermm:

Maybe tomorrow I'll get brave and remove the last one ... the skin is kind of starting to grow over the one side of the staple so it hurt a little too much this afternoon . I'll ice it up tomorrow and yank her out .

Pain is just weakness leaving the body !!!! :cool:

Quad18star
11-17-2005, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by MXFourTwoEight
Oh, and I would try to take the tweezers and pull out one side at a time, and soak the tweezers in icewater to make them really cold before you use them. And keep ice on the staple area too.

Well I soaked the area with peroxide first ... and dipped the tweezers in peroxide to semi-steralize them . Then I put an ice cube on the staples/area for a few minutes to kind of numb the region .... then I twisted one side and then the other like you said . It bled a little bit , but nothing a bandage couldn't fix .

11-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Well I soaked the area with peroxide first ... and dipped the tweezers in peroxide to semi-steralize them . Then I put an ice cube on the staples/area for a few minutes to kind of numb the region .... then I twisted one side and then the other like you said . It bled a little bit , but nothing a bandage couldn't fix . Cool, now PM me a link to that site:p

Quad18star
11-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by MXFourTwoEight
Cool, now PM me a link to that site:p

www.hardcoresledder.com ... in the general forum . You might have to look through the first few pages of topics , but you'll come across one that has 700something pages worth of replies . It says somehting about " Not work Safe" . Start from the last page and work your way backwards . Enjoy !!!!:p

hondarider2006
11-17-2005, 11:54 PM
Greg I know where you are coming from....I had staples in my head and they DROVE ME NUTS!!! I was sooo close to pulling them out, and when the doc. did I was kicking my own *** for not doing it...what a waste of money for letting him do it!!

TCracin440ex
11-18-2005, 03:33 AM
i happen to have a staple remover tool. the hospital gave my mother one when she was pregnant with one of my brothers and had to have a c section. Using the staple remover tool works so much better then yanking them out with pliers