PDA

View Full Version : How to install a cam?

Punk13rym
06-22-2002, 06:22 PM
How would i go about installing a cam. Does it make a difference if i were to get a drop in cam. Is a drop in cam easier to install or something?

440exnacsracer
06-22-2002, 08:43 PM
the drop in cam thing is bull crap! no cam can be dropped in...i wish! to install a cam on a 400ex, you have to take the head off( the top portion off the head which is a darker color metal) and take the cam chain off, then take the stocker out then put the new one in. then you have to get your timing right. if you dont know how to put a cam in, i suggest you get a mechanic to do it for you! hope it helps

RytM1
06-22-2002, 09:18 PM
The drop in cam really isn't a big deal, its just taking all the body panels, and gas tank off to get to it thats a pain in the a**. Like 440 said, getting the timing right is the hardest part. You have to take your time. I would definitely suggest a maintenance manual. I just did my own 416 kit, and got the timing wrong the first time. It ran like garbage, even though it was only off by a tooth or two. I went back in and re-checked the timing at the advice of Terry at Marcum's, and adjusted it. Now the thing runs like a raped ape.

06-23-2002, 10:08 AM
on my 300ex when i rebuilt it i had to take the cam out and then put it back in and it wasnt very hard actually the biggest pain was the plastic [couldnt find all connectors] and if you are still confused just look at your manual and it will tell you exactly how to take the engine apart and find the cam and take it off then it will also tell you how to set the timing , actually isnt as hard as it might seem

Punk13rym
06-23-2002, 01:13 PM
its good to know that it is not that hard to do. i do have a little experience with engines. to me its really easy to take the plasics off and if thats the easy partthen i should have no problem. thanks

nakomis0
06-23-2002, 02:23 PM
The hardest part for me was the $30 bucks they charge for a head gasket.:rolleyes:

440exnacsracer
06-23-2002, 08:51 PM
nakomiso....you shouldve bought a cometic head gasket kit for like $19 with all the head gaskets. maybe thatl help next time

06-23-2002, 09:52 PM
Are we talking about the headcover gasket or the head gasket?

If your carefull you can re-use the headcover gasket. I have heard of some reusing it 4or5 times.

But dont try this with the head gasket, your only getting into more trouble.

And a drop in cam is when there is no need for other top end work. No need for hard face rockers, stiffer valve springs and guides etc. So no you dont just drop it in but you forget about a lot more headaches and $$$.