PDA

View Full Version : How the hell do you remove a-arm bushings!

riley1374
11-17-2005, 05:55 AM
Went to take my a-arms apart last night and got the bushings and the straight sleeve out, but there are balls in there that i have no idea how to get out. Are they supposed to stay in there and just replace the bushings and sleeve or do they need to come out. I gave up after a couple of hours. Please help. Also, what is a decent aftermarket replacement that is not too much money. Thanks

Colby@C&DRacing
11-17-2005, 08:10 AM
what are the arms for? and I assume they are stock arms..

riley1374
11-17-2005, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the reply. They are stock 87 Honda 250X. I took the bushings out and the sleeve, but inside the arm there is this spherical piece in there that i am not sure if it is supposed to be removed or not. If it is supposed to be removed how do i get it out. Thanks

Colby@C&DRacing
11-17-2005, 09:15 AM
that piece is replaceable it is a sepherical heim bearing you may need a press to get it out.

riley1374
11-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the info. Should that piece be replaced or can i just replace the bushings and sleeves? Also, do you sell these for the 250x? If yes, do you stock and what is the cost? Thanks

bwamos
11-17-2005, 10:38 AM
If it's in good shape leave it.. unfortunatly they are very expensive to replace, on the 300ex anyway. Honda's price is $25 each. You need 8 to do both arms.. so that's $200 for replacement bearings. Basically if you have to replace bearings.. it's time for aftermarket a-arms.. lol. Unless C&D sells them a lot cheaper. I think $18 each is the cheapest I've found.

This is what it would cost to replace the bushings and bearings on both sides, if you used ServiceHonda.

wanta450
11-17-2005, 06:18 PM
there should be a circle clip in there that you need to pick out with piick or small flat screww driver then tap them out:devil:

prepracing
11-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by wanta450
there should be a circle clip in there that you need to pick out with piick or small flat screww driver then tap them out:devil:

yeah ...he's right. But if you can't get to it if you have a press or big enough hammer and punch you can break that clip with enough pressure. Thats how I got mine out, just be careful of flying objects and watch as to not bend a-arms. Pivot works kit is the only aftermarket bushing I have seen.

riley1374
11-18-2005, 05:31 AM
Where exactly are these clips, i dont see anything that looks like a clip. Are they behind the spherical bearing? THanks

maxamillion
11-18-2005, 05:45 AM
there is a clip on both sides of the bearing that hold it in place. tap the bearing as far as it will go one way. that will create enough space to pick out one circlip. then just repeat for the other side.

motoboy66
11-18-2005, 06:36 PM
ok here is the easiest way. First find a socket that fits in the a-arm, but with a little room around it. This is so it will fit inside the circlip and only push on the bearing. Next get a c-clamp. Put the socket in the inside of the arm. from the middle out. now with the c-clamp put pressure on the socket. It should cause the bearing to move a little. Now lossen it up and get a pick, pick the circlipout from the same side you had the socket on, once out put the socket and c-clamp on the opposite side and press the bearing twords where you took the circlip out. it should push out with a little pressure. The important thing is that the bearing can not be touching the circlip or you will never get the clip out. That is why we first push it to one side and then take the circlip out. This is the easiest way I have found, it also works well to put new bearins in.

Hope I helped.