PDA

View Full Version : engine rebuild

dirtriderex
11-15-2005, 08:20 PM
I took apart my whole engine today and am wondering if there is anything I should do to it other than check valves. I have two full seasons of XC racing on the engine so I am guessing something has to be replaced.

11-15-2005, 09:03 PM
if your taking it all apart you might as well check the crank bearings, maybe even replace the rings on your piston or get a new piston altogether

also check the valves, and the cam chain for slack

thats about it really :macho

450robot
11-15-2005, 09:06 PM
yah, 2 full xc seasons is alot of abuse...

i think it would be a good time to look into rebuilding your topend

this would include
-new piston: you could go high comp, or bigbore, or stock... i say a 12:1 cop piston is always a good choice
-replace all gaskets
- adjust valves, and clean all baked on carbon off engine parts
- replace coolant and fuilds
-new cam chain, and chain tensioner guides
-check crank bearing, and other various engine seals or bearings

just a good start, but i would say a new piston and gasket set are a must for you,

BSTURDIVANT
11-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Definately replace the crank and crank bearings- we had 2 rod bearing failures this year-2 different quads!
Friends have had 4 this year.
Replace counter balancer bearings, waterpump bearing and seals,
cam chain, clutch basket and friction discs, piston and rings, intake valves, valve seals.
This is just a minimum to be reliable for another season.

dirtriderex
11-16-2005, 05:20 AM
Ok, I got alot of bearing to replace. As for the piston what should I get, I'm guessing a 12:1 baldwin or hammer head piston. To clean the carbon off what should I use? I have access to all air tools if they will help.

dirtriderex
11-16-2005, 05:18 PM
Where can I get a top end rebuild kit or do I have to order each thing seperately

BSTURDIVANT
11-18-2005, 07:35 AM
You can get a top end gasket kit from Honda, but other parts have to be ordered individually.
XC or trail- 11 to 1 3 ring JE
MX - 14 to 1 2 ring baldwin or JE
13 and above requires race fuel!
Spray gasket remover works on carbon deposits- be careful with abraisive cleaning on gasket surfaces.
Acetone works on head and cylinder gasket left overs.
C&D ,Baldwin, or GT Thunder should have everything you need.