PDA

View Full Version : how do u put in a cam chain?

h400exrydr
11-15-2005, 02:11 PM
alright i need some help putting in my camchain. i got the 2002 crf 450 chain. when i am taking the stock one out do i have to take the clutch and all of that off? is there anything special to doin this?Also wat happened was the chain slipped off of the sprockets and that messed up my timing and bent my valves. so now i am putting in new kibblewhite valves, the thing i am worrieed about is the electrical timing. will i have to worry about the electrical timing, like when it sparks? i was told that if the little thing on the left side said that it was on top dead center it would b fine. my dad thinks that this is wrong tho. he thinks that a 4 stroke fires every other time it hits top dead center. any help is appreciated!!

h400exrydr
11-15-2005, 04:25 PM
any body?

JOEX
11-15-2005, 07:07 PM
You will need to remove the clutch assembly, there are special tools for holding it but I was able to remove it with a pneumatic impact wrench and holding onto the basket with a rag. Make sure you have a real good grip on it ;)

Before you take the nut off you'll see that part of it is pushed down into the key slot. Be sure to pry that up before trying to remove the nut and it's preferred to replace the nut with a new one of the same type.

The 400 does fire on every up stroke.

A repair manual does a good job of explaining how to do this;)

UglyMotha™
11-16-2005, 05:47 AM
open one of the valve adjustment caps an drop her in:o