PDA

View Full Version : Did Dish network drop your OLN?

z400ACDC
11-15-2005, 11:40 AM
:mad: I'm pissed! I can't watch the ATV racing and they say I signed a 2 year deal. But, I think they broke the deal when they dropped OLN. I signed with OLN. :mad:

450robot
11-15-2005, 11:42 AM
yup, mine is gone too,

300exOH
11-15-2005, 12:06 PM
I lost OLN too. Apparently the $60+ I pay a month isn't enough for them to keep it.:grr: I upgraded my channels just so I could get some of the channels like OLN and now they get rid of it. Of course my bill is still the same. :ermm: I'm looking forward to moving to a place where I can get cable again at half the cost of dish.

11-15-2005, 12:14 PM
comcast cable owns oln network...comcast is in high competition with the satellite systems(dish and direct tv)...they are trying to pander their digtal cable as better, but the people i know that have digi cable only have about 30 or so digital channels, the rest are the old analog, subject to weather and such...and they pay as much or more than i do for the dish...anyway...comcast wanted dish to apy a lot more for oln, which was gonna mean an increase in your monthly bill by a lot...they also did this to direct tv at the same time...i think that the other option was for it to be a pay channel like hbo, and at a similar price as the hbo package...comcast is hioing to bring dish and direct tv customers to the cable system for oln...i don't think it is gonna work...i liked oln, but not as much as i like having satellite tv...

this happened about a month ago(3 weeks anyway)

11-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
I lost OLN too. Apparently the $60+ I pay a month isn't enough for them to keep it.:grr: I upgraded my channels just so I could get some of the channels like OLN and now they get rid of it. Of course my bill is still the same. :ermm: I'm looking forward to moving to a place where I can get cable again at half the cost of dish.

is your cable really half the cost of dish...my parent have the minimum package they can get on cable...it cost them $5 dollars less a month than i pay for dish and the only have 40 channels to my 180...plus everytime it rains or snow melts, they look at a snowy screen, if they even get anything at all...and of those 40 channel that they get, at least 10 of them are always snowy and usually can't be heard...the cable company says it is that way because they recieve a week signal from the broadcaster...i'll stick with dish...i like having the info on what i am watching and the ability to see what is on next with info about it...

300exOH
11-15-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
is your cable really half the cost of dish...my parent have the minimum package they can get on cable...it cost them $5 dollars less a month than i pay for dish and the only have 40 channels to my 180...plus everytime it rains or snow melts, they look at a snowy screen, if they even get anything at all...and of those 40 channel that they get, at least 10 of them are always snowy and usually can't be heard...the cable company says it is that way because they recieve a week signal from the broadcaster...i'll stick with dish...i like having the info on what i am watching and the ability to see what is on next with info about it...

In the area I'm looking to move the cable costs around $30-$35/month for the same channels I have now verses $60+. Also my dish freaks out every time we have heavy winds or rain and when it snows it builds up on the dish and it goes out. It isn't easy to get the snow off either since my dish is on the roof. I also prefer the cable because I don't have to have a receiver for every tv in the house. I will miss the guide though.

Honda
11-15-2005, 12:47 PM
I have Comcast, still have OLN! Thank Gowd!

It's not enough that they charge you for the service ($60-$100+), then they have to throw in the commercials as well!

What a Rip!

My XM Radio doesn't have any commercials, if it did, I would'nt pay the subscription fees to have it.

:rolleyes:

11-15-2005, 01:00 PM
i agree, xm is sooo much better since they got rid of the commercials on the music channels...i just can't get over how much cable costs and is affected by the weather so much...my dish had a few feet of snow on it last year and i never lost signal...i have it nice and tight and the wind don't affect it at all...the only time i lose signal is when there is a really really bad storm coming through, where as my parent lose it in a slight rain...keep the cable...i can deal without oln..i will miss my oln, but not that much

dopeyferree
11-15-2005, 01:17 PM
The day the Dish network dropped OLN , I got on the phone with Direct Tv and ordered it before I missed another episode of the GNCC Racing.

11-15-2005, 01:54 PM
from what i hear, direct tv will be losing oln also as soon as their contract runs out...i may be wrong though

z400ACDC
11-15-2005, 02:17 PM
I moved about 9 months ago to a area that does not have cable(but does have plenty of privacy, deer, turkey and riding). I thought about going to direct tv but, It sounds like they will drop oln also:mad:

z400ACDC
11-16-2005, 06:59 AM
Who has direct? Are they going to drop OLN?

Woodsrider
11-16-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
In the area I'm looking to move the cable costs around $30-$35/month for the same channels I have now verses $60+. Also my dish freaks out every time we have heavy winds or rain and when it snows it builds up on the dish and it goes out. It isn't easy to get the snow off either since my dish is on the roof. I also prefer the cable because I don't have to have a receiver for every tv in the house. I will miss the guide though.

I have DishNetwork, with the "Top 120" plus the 13 channel HBO package and satilite radio. on four tv's with two recievers for $65 a month. For a comparable package form the Comcast my qoute was $79.95 and I would need four boxes not two.
I live in a High wind zone at the base of the Cascade mountains, and even in the worst of weather my signal is crystal clear. The snow slides off the dish, so it dont pile up. and even the 74 mph gust we had last winter didnt effect my signal. When Comcast calls, I tell them "It will be a cold day in hell before I go back to cable!"

300exOH
11-16-2005, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Woodsrider
I have DishNetwork, with the "Top 120" plus the 13 channel HBO package and satilite radio. on four tv's with two recievers for $65 a month. For a comparable package form the Comcast my qoute was $79.95 and I would need four boxes not two.
I live in a High wind zone at the base of the Cascade mountains, and even in the worst of weather my signal is crystal clear. The snow slides off the dish, so it dont pile up. and even the 74 mph gust we had last winter didnt effect my signal. When Comcast calls, I tell them "It will be a cold day in hell before I go back to cable!"

Where we are planning to move the cable is much cheaper. For some reason I pay almost the same as you without the HBO.:ermm: Also with the cable I won't need the boxes unless I get premium channels like HBO. We get quite a bit of really wet snow here and it always seems to stick to the dish. I also live in a very windy area. It seems like it's always windy here plus there are very few trees since we're in farm country. The flat feilds across from my house don't help either. In fact we had near 80mph gusts yesterday and today they have been around 40mph+.

popo
11-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by z400ACDC
Who has direct? Are they going to drop OLN?

I have Direct Tv with HD watching OLN right now in dig broadcast.

11-16-2005, 11:23 AM
what i have heard is that direct tv will be in the same situation as dish network when it's contract with comcast is up...comcast will have an outrageous increase becasue they are in a war for viewers with the satellite systems... and they are losing...of course,this won't be known until the contract is up...but i bet it is true

RaptorRacer45
11-16-2005, 12:00 PM
I best not loose OLN, unless they decide 2 give me the Outdoor channel in a trade......but I better get 2 keep OLN:huh

11-16-2005, 12:07 PM
We have Comcast Digital cable. We have like 700 channels though. We still have OLN.

Atkins
11-16-2005, 01:08 PM
I have an insane amount of channels with Comcast, at a price much cheaper than satallite in southeastern massachusetts...and i still get OLN.:cool: Plus, you cant beat OnDemand.

11-16-2005, 01:29 PM
how many channels do you get, and what is your monthly cost...mine is $66 for 180+ channels..i can get an on screen guide for up to 36 or 48 hours ahead...i never loose reception...all of my channels are digital and are always perfect...i lease 2 receivers from them and that adds $10 a month to my bill, but since i do that...if anything goes wrong, they fix it for free...in the 5 years i have had it, i have had 2 remotes replaced for free..and these are a more expensive uhf remote that will function through walls...i can get movies off of dish also, just not on demand...i have gotten maybe 4 movies from it in 5 yrs...i haven't gotten one since 2001 either...o sense in it...if iwant to see a movie, i rent it on the way home from work or just go get one...then if i like it, i have other options that i wouldn't have if i got it on demand...

Woodsrider
11-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Yah I dont use the pay per veiw either. I can rent movies here at work for a $1 a day and $2.50 for the weekend. I pic them up on my lunch and return them the next day. LOL chit, they'll even send out your dry cleaning for ya.