PDA

View Full Version : Need some Input

bigbenstxchevy
11-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Anyway i found a 2001 Yamaha Raptor 660 that has a new clutch, and has new valves that need to be adjusted. Also has brand new plastics. The quad started up perfect when it was 50 degrees out, and ran great, but it smokes some, like white smoke. The owner whos a friend, said its because of the valves. But i was thinking if it was the valves then it wouldn't start up that quick and it would run crappily. Anyway i think its smoking because it needs new rings. He wanted $2400 for it and i told him i'd give him $1500 cash. My atv mechanic said he'd do a complete rebuild for about $450. So i'd have it in working order for about $2000. Does this seem like a good deal? is there anything else i need to check?

Oh yeah i've always had ultility quads so and i'm wanting a sport one so thats why i'm looking at raptors, and they have reverse.

tater_kamik
11-15-2005, 12:21 PM
the 01's have tranny problems. also, the white smoke is probably just water, if its bluish in color, then its burning oil and could be the rings or valve seals. sounds like a good deal for 1500 if its in good shape and been taken care of.

TheRidinLife01
11-15-2005, 07:25 PM
make sure it has the tranny upgrade kit...or about 1week of riding hard and 2nd gear will fall out on you

250r4life
11-15-2005, 10:45 PM
not all 01s have tranny problems... i have 2 people in my group with 01s, 1 guy and 1 girl, and the guy rides the crap out of his and has never had any problems with it... the girl has never had any problems either... she needed a new clutch, but hasnt had anything wrong with 2nd gear...

preferably yes get somn after 2, but the 01s are not a guaranteed problem