PDA

View Full Version : General Question (Frame strength, body etc..) ????

tahoe97
09-25-2001, 01:38 AM
I know this sounds like an odd post but you guys are very experienced...

I am about a 215 pound guy.. I have a 2001 400ex... I have both of the settings on the back shock all the way in for heavy load.. I have my front shock on the 4th of 5 settings..

Me and my friends jump this hill that is about 5 or so feet tall.. We jump distance wise about 15 feet or maybe more.. but at highest we get about 6 feet sometimes.. Its just a hill out by the river..

When i jump it really high and i land HARD.. it seems like the thing is going to break and throw me off....

My question is what kind of stress does that kind of jumping do on a bike.. and is that about what the bike is capable of or do i need to upgrade things?? IF so what upgradesa...
In order to keep things working the way they should..

Thanks in advance

MOFO
09-25-2001, 05:50 AM
A few things I would keep my eyes on. The shock mounts and the swing arm. I would imagine that these would go first....

Eric

09-25-2001, 09:09 AM
i am a 250 pound guy and i jump flat landing jumps alot and a bottom out alot and nothing ever breaks...the back shock on the 400 is very good and shouldn't have any troubles..the front shocks are plush so theres where most of the bottom feeling come from my veiw...i jump like 30 feet distance like 7-8 feet off the ground and nothings broke yet

09-25-2001, 09:56 AM
Having your shocks preload set on the stiffest setting will not prevent you from bottoming out anymore than having them on the softest. IF it takes 200 pounds of pressure to push them to there limit,,then it doesn't matter if you apply the pressure fast or slow. THe internal valving is what is allowing this to happen,,stiff shocks mean bronco busting on jumps,,,I'm 210 and know what you guys are talking about,,,get new front shocks,,that's your only fix. the rear shock should be set about middle or even soft for a smoother ride. go out to shocconnection.com and read their frequently asked shock questions. later