PDA

View Full Version : credit cards

Butters
11-14-2005, 06:22 PM
just curious what kind of credit cards everyone had. i know there are so many out there, i was just curious which ones had the best deals, like where you get rewards or cash back or stuff like that.

Guy400
11-14-2005, 06:28 PM
I don't use credit except for my house and my wife's car but I've got a Visa card that I haven't used in about 2 years. It doesn't have any reward program. Through my bank I have my debit card but if I use it as a credit card at stores it still functions just like a debit card but I earn Visa reward points. I've never really studied the program too closely but it seems like you have to have an *** load of points to win a damn paper weight.

Butters
11-14-2005, 06:36 PM
yeah i have a debit card now, but i was just looking at getting a credit card to make a few purchases to help build credit. like to use it only when needed, and pay it off at the end of the month.

11-14-2005, 06:38 PM
i just hav a debit card...**** a credit card

Quad18star
11-14-2005, 06:41 PM
I got a Visa card ... I don't use it , unless it's an emergency ... like having to pay $400 for a damn alternator when I'm stuck in New York which is 10 hours away from home !!! :grr:

I got a Visa when I turned of age to get one to build my credit . It helped .... I've now got perfect credit and the bank just wants to give me all their money . :blah:

Butters
11-14-2005, 06:48 PM
i was thinking of getting a capital one card, cause my parents have had one for years, and they say it is good, but i was looking at american express, and they have a card that deposits 1% of eligible purchases to a savings account which sounds somewhat interesting. i'm still debating though.

Hondadudeehhhh
11-14-2005, 06:51 PM
i got a debit card, they are gret. Just like a check but faster and easier. Ive ordered a lot of parts and stuff with it

Mxjunkie
11-14-2005, 06:55 PM
I have a platuimn (sp) citi bank and a visa plat, I use them for emergencys only, screw buying parts with it..

Cash or debit cards are the answer!

JOEX
11-14-2005, 07:56 PM
I use a Visa card mainly for online purchases, for that added layer of protection. If someone is going to get an account number i'd rather have be the credit card than the debit card.

A credit card is a great way to build credit if you use it properly.

Butters
11-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I use a Visa card mainly for online purchases, for that added layer of protection. If someone is going to get an account number i'd rather have be the credit card than the debit card.

A credit card is a great way to build credit if you use it properly.

yeah and thats basically what i want it for, to build credit.

MOFO
11-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by JOEX

Yep, thats the ONLY reason my wife and I have a credit card. The last thing I want is someone getting access to my cash. My bank offers protection against it, but I feel better knowing if someone gets it, its not coming directly from my checking account. We pay it off every month.

Whatever you do.. my advice... if you cant pay off your card within that same month...quit using it. Treat it like cash.

Butters
11-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
Yep, thats the ONLY reason my wife and I have a credit card. The last thing I want is someone getting access to my cash. My bank offers protection against it, but I feel better knowing if someone gets it, its not coming directly from my checking account. We pay it off every month.

Whatever you do.. my advice... if you cant pay off your card within that same month...quit using it. Treat it like cash.

yeah that was exactly what i was thinking. i was basically going to treat it like my debit card (since i don't carry cash), and only spend the money if i have it, then pay it off at the end of the month.

JUSTINcredible
11-14-2005, 09:20 PM
if you dont have a credit card dont get one.. i learned the hard way. its not worth it.

honda350r
11-14-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I got a Visa card ... I don't use it , unless it's an emergency ... like having to pay $400 for a damn alternator when I'm stuck in New York which is 10 hours away from home !!! :grr:

I got a Visa when I turned of age to get one to build my credit . It helped .... I've now got perfect credit and the bank just wants to give me all their money . :blah:

What kind of car do you have that takes a 400.00 alternator?

Quad18star
11-14-2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by honda350r
What kind of car do you have that takes a 400.00 alternator?

I have a 99 Pontiac Sunfire GT .

But it's not about the kind of car I have ... it's the kind of license plates I had on the car . There's a small garage in Oneida New York that made a good dollar off of me cuz I had Ontario plates on my car . It didn't help that he was the only garage open on a Friday night at 5:45pm and getting ready to close at 6pm . The alternator was a little over $200 , the rest was labour for a few hours and the tow truck .

There wasn't much I could do ... we were on our way to Utica to watch the GNC Nationals at Unadilla ... had our hotel room booked already and everything . There wasn't a place available in Oneida and I didn't want to start walking the streets at night to try and find a hotel room . So that being said .... I had a $600CND Visa bill come in at the end of the month . It kind of put a damper on my weekend in New York .... I had plans to buy some parts ... that went down the drain REAL quickly . :grr:

But if it wasn't for the Visa card , I'd have been up chit creek without a paddle . Chances are I would have just burnt the car on the side of the road and flew back home and told the insurance company that there was an electrical fire or something . :cool:

Allen
11-16-2005, 01:00 PM
if you dont have a credit card dont get one.. i learned the hard way. its not worth it.

Exactly....no credit is good credit anymore.....and you can get in a lot of trouble with one if you're not careful

Atkins
11-16-2005, 01:13 PM
I have a visa debit card, and I love it. No plan to get a credit card anytime at all.

Debit cards are the greatest thing ever for buying quad parts online, or just anything period. I hate carrying cash.

Direct depositted checks + debit card makes life so easy.

DeerNuts
11-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Allen
Exactly....no credit is good credit anymore.....and you can get in a lot of trouble with one if you're not careful

How is that true? The only way to get loans and so on is to have a credit history, of course preferably a good one (unless you have a co-signer).

I have a Citi Dividend platinum select card. 5% back on purchases made at gas stations, supermarkets, and drugstores. 1% on all other purchases.
How can you beat that? Spend 6,000 a year between gas and groceries (which is easy as hell) and get $300 back. Plus you build credit as long as you pay off the balance each month. No annual fee, and the card is available specifically for college students with no credit score.

You will get anywhere from a 500-1000 credit line typically, and then it simply becomes your responsibility to mangage your money correctly and efficiently.

IMO, a credit card is much better than a debit card (and I do have both).

tater_kamik
11-16-2005, 01:32 PM
no credit is just as bad as bad credit. i have two credit cards, a business one (military) and a personal one. i dont use the credit card almost ever, but it is good for emergencies. if you dont think you have enough self control to handle a high limit, then get your max at like 500, or even lower. that way, if you do decide to splurge, you cant go too crazy. i feel that it is important to have a credit card for emergencies, to build financial responsibility and self control, and for credit.

Quad18star
11-16-2005, 01:43 PM

The most important thing you said , is " if you're not careful" .

Those that get in trouble with credit cards , are those that don't know how to use them properly .... the people that can't control themselves with it .

If you know you won't have the money at the end of the month to pay off the card , don't use it . Sure it's free money at the time you use it , but come the end of the month it isn't free anymore .

I encourage people to get a credit card , for the simple fact that IF you are responsible , the card will benefit you and you'll have a good credit rating . I've had a card since I was of age to get one ... always paid it off on time ...and when I went into the bank to get a loan for my YFZ they appproved me within a matter of a few minutes . In fact they approved me enough to go buy a new truck , but then I'd be in debt !!!! ;)

mrusk
11-16-2005, 03:33 PM
I use my credit card for everything except coffee and lunch at the deli. I routienly have 4-7k credit card bills. The thing is, i pay it off every month. I never carry a balance. Only a moron would buy **** on a credit card they can't afford.

BTW I own my own business so thats why i have bills so high. I buy alot of supplies.

Honda#4
01-20-2006, 07:40 PM
i have a capital card it is so great having a credit card i have a checking account and a saving account too.and how long does it take to get the credit card higher.

prepracing
01-20-2006, 08:35 PM

actually your wrong about that...no credit sucks ! no loans for cars, houses, atv's will come very easily without credit. Yeah u might be able to get a co-signer for small stuff. It's good to get a credit card and just use it every so often for gas or food or whatever and then pay it off quickly. The only loan I had ever had was thru the credit union where I worked and I had never had any credit cards. Well when I went to see about a home loan...guess what credit report showed nothing 0 credit. That loan I had thru work did not even show/count for anything. So stick with the major credit cards visa,mastercard,american xpress. And just charge small stuff, just cause u have them doesn't mean they have to stay maxed out.

300exryder
01-20-2006, 08:57 PM
I use my credit card often - end of the month comes around and it gets paid in full = no problems. Many people should not have credit cards, especially if there is no one to guide them through it. Getting into financial trouble is easier than one would imagine, and it doesn't go away.

Good credit goes a long way - $5800 charged for my Raptor and I had a full year to pay it off with no interest :) I did the two year plan and transferred the balance onto another 0% interest card before the year was up and ended up having another year to pay it off with no interest and only a $50 balance transfer fee. I know a few people that have started their own landscaping companies using the balance transfer method. Easy loophole to take advantage of.