PDA

View Full Version : Will It be Louder?!

Killa250ex
11-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Hey Guys, As most of you know, I have strait pipes on my F250 and I want it do be LOUDER! I was wondering if it would be louder if I just dumped the pipes after my Y pipe. Help me out guys!

I heard dumped pipes are louder b/c it echo's off the ground :confused:

Quad18star
11-14-2005, 05:09 PM
The less pipe you got , the louder she'll be !!!

400exrules
11-14-2005, 05:09 PM
do your headers come back as a single and split after the cat? my friends ram has straights, that come back in a single pipe to a single cat and then split out the back, but another guy i know had a z71 with straights, that came back as two pipes, to two cats, then straight out, and it was SOOOO much louder, im talking...you could hear him cruisin atleast a mile away

ZSK
11-14-2005, 06:10 PM
After your Cat, Y it into dual 2" pipes all the way back. That is the best way to get loud.

TheFontMaster
11-14-2005, 06:14 PM
Just run straight headers.:devil: My friends funning just headers on his 78 f-100 with a slightly worked 390, and let me tell you that thing has a really distinct sound, and the flames shooting 2 feet out of the pipes when he first started it is a nice touch:eek2:

Killa250ex
11-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by ZSK
After your Cat, Y it into dual 2" pipes all the way back. That is the best way to get loud.

Like this??? :p

ZSK
11-14-2005, 07:28 PM
Just like that bub.

TCracin440ex
11-14-2005, 09:00 PM
dude are you a complete dumb @ss or something. having loud straight pipes aint doing nothing for your motor or hp. It sounds like pure hell too esp when you let off the gas and get that popping sound from no back pressure....u want a nice sound...throw a set of flowmasters on it with a set of off-road x-pipes it will give you a nice raspy sound without the shytt sound of no backpressure

TCracin440ex
11-14-2005, 09:02 PM
im not trying to be rude or anything in any way what so ever...

but if you want a nice sound...save money run TRUE dual lines, get off-road x-pipes, flow master exhaust, and get a set of free flow headers

bbk, hooker, gibson headers are all good brands of headers

Quad18star
11-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
dude are you a complete dumb @ss or something. having loud straight pipes aint doing nothing for your motor or hp. It sounds like pure hell too esp when you let off the gas and get that popping sound from no back pressure....u want a nice sound...throw a set of flowmasters on it with a set of off-road x-pipes it will give you a nice raspy sound without the shytt sound of no backpressure

I'll agree with you on it sounding like crap when you let off and it's popping ... BUT I'll disagree with you on the fact that it doesn't do anything for horsepower . There will be an increase in HP if running straight headers . Will it be very noticeable in the type of truck ?? Probably not a lot . But in other vehicles it will be noticeable because the exhaust gases are being expelled quicker and letting the engine breath better .

honduh440
11-14-2005, 09:19 PM
We ran dyno on an 84 camaro with a 383 with fullexhaust and with open headers and it lost HP like crazy with the open headers

TCracin440ex
11-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I'll agree with you on it sounding like crap when you let off and it's popping ... BUT I'll disagree with you on the fact that it doesn't do anything for horsepower . There will be an increase in HP if running straight headers . Will it be very noticeable in the type of truck ?? Probably not a lot . But in other vehicles it will be noticeable because the exhaust gases are being expelled quicker and letting the engine breath better .

yea but your tripping all sorts of o2 sensors and everything. I bet his SES light stays on 24/7. I know on my z if i even take my air box lid off my truck for a split and crank it up the SES is going crazy

and yes you are gaining hp off the straight pipes, but your loosing torque.

to be honest with you the truck would sound alot better with a true dual line, xpipes, headers, and flowmasters

when i get arround to exhausts for my Z i think im going to take out the 2 cats and put off road xpipes in, and flow masters and call it a day...give it a nice sound. Add a decent amount of hp without pissing off everybody in the world.

Quad18star
11-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
yea but your tripping all sorts of o2 sensors and everything. I bet his SES light stays on 24/7. I know on my z if i even take my air box lid off my truck for a split and crank it up the SES is going crazy

and yes you are gaining hp off the straight pipes, but your loosing torque.

to be honest with you the truck would sound alot better with a true dual line, xpipes, headers, and flowmasters

when i get arround to exhausts for my Z i think im going to take out the 2 cats and put off road xpipes in, and flow masters and call it a day...give it a nice sound. Add a decent amount of hp without pissing off everybody in the world.

Ya you're right ... with all the sensors and crap the new cars and trucks have , your instrument pannel would be more lit up than a christmas tree . What I meant with my comment was that in most cases , with all the computer crap and sensors put aside , the engine would make more HP with straight headers than with an exhaust system ... in most vehicles .

Speaking of o2 sensors ... you know how much they want for one ofr a 99 Sunfire GT ?? Way to god damn much . It was something like $180CND for 1 sensor . I almost flipped out when they told me that . My "check engine" light has been on for a year and a half now and my gas mileage is nothing to write home about .

TCracin440ex
11-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Ya you're right ... with all the sensors and crap the new cars and trucks have , your instrument pannel would be more lit up than a christmas tree . What I meant with my comment was that in most cases , with all the computer crap and sensors put aside , the engine would make more HP with straight headers than with an exhaust system ... in most vehicles .

Speaking of o2 sensors ... you know how much they want for one ofr a 99 Sunfire GT ?? Way to god damn much . It was something like $180CND for 1 sensor . I almost flipped out when they told me that . My "check engine" light has been on for a year and a half now and my gas mileage is nothing to write home about .

yea even with all the sensors hes tripping. Look at all the torque hes throwing out the window with the straights. You need backpressure to make torque.

Its the same concept with a quad too. You get a free flow exhaust. Your loosing torque, but gaining hp. Compared to a stock exhaust, vs aftermarket. The stock with the proper jetting will in most cases give more torque/bottomend because of the back pressure

F- that O2 sensor on your car greg. My SES light on my Z has been on for years now because of sensor somewhere on 1 of the cats.

You can also reset your computer too so the light will go off...just disconnect your ground wire on your bat. for a few mins then put it back on all computer codes will be erased

Warrioreater400ex
11-14-2005, 10:52 PM
IMHO, it depends on the vehicle/engine... my friend has a 327 Z71 and he has true duals to flowmaster 40s and reverse cone tips... it sounds GREAT.... however my friend had a bronco with a 351C bored over to a 400 with headers dual glass packs and it sounded INCREDIBLE i loved it, it was kinda snappy and poppy, but not obnoxiously or anything .... but so many v8s sound like crap if they are cheaply thrown together...

my favorite of all time are mustang engines... idk what gives them the hollow throaty sound... but i love it!

TCracin440ex
11-14-2005, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Warrioreater400ex
IMHO, it depends on the vehicle/engine... my friend has a 327 Z71 and he has true duals to flowmaster 40s and reverse cone tips... it sounds GREAT.... however my friend had a bronco with a 351C bored over to a 400 with headers dual glass packs and it sounded INCREDIBLE i loved it, it was kinda snappy and poppy, but not obnoxiously or anything .... but so many v8s sound like crap if they are cheaply thrown together...

my favorite of all time are mustang engines... idk what gives them the hollow throaty sound... but i love it!

what gives them that the hollow throaty sound is xpipes and the fact it comes with true duals from the factory.

Warrioreater400ex
11-15-2005, 12:06 AM
really? hmm i always thought it was something to do with the valves. because ive never heard any other vehicle sound like that?? so if you put that exhaust on another engine it would sound like that?

man when they get on the throttle hard and then let off... it almost gives me chills haha i love it... almost as much as hearing an f-350 with an upgraded turbo whistle down the road like a jet engine speeding up.... :devil:

man id be in heavin if a mustang with a twin turbo drove by with exhaust:eek2: :D

Killa250ex
11-15-2005, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by ZSK
Just like that bub.

Thats my truck :D

Killa250ex
11-15-2005, 10:15 AM
and for all you guys that say it sounds like chit, It doesnt, its sounds excellent. Yeah, when the truck is cold it back fires, but when it warms up, it screams and it sounds awesome

bluelakebiker
11-15-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by ZSK

we have done this to a couple of my buddies trucks fords and dodges and they sound good... but my buddies ford f150 just wasn't loud enough for him like that so we ran true duals on it and it sounds sooo much better... on his 02 f150 it was easy because where the two pipes come back off the motor and tie in to each other we cut it there and ran the duals from there... sounds good. Now on dodges just cut out the muffler and run a straight piece of pipe, had a flowmaster in a buddies truck and it was great sounding but we cut it out and ran a straight pipe and it sounds alot meaner and is about the perfect db level... now we did true duals on a 318 with glasspacks and 2" pipe and it was ungodly loud... I mean you could hear him easily over a mile away. Just experiment everyone likes a little different sound. Good luck!

bluelakebiker
11-15-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by ZSK

we have done this to a couple of my buddies trucks fords and dodges and they sound good... but my buddies ford f150 just wasn't loud enough for him like that so we ran true duals on it and it sounds sooo much better... on his 02 f150 it was easy because where the two pipes come back off the motor and tie in to each other we cut it there and ran the duals from there... sounds good. Now on dodges just cut out the muffler and run a straight piece of pipe, had a flowmaster in a buddies truck and it was great sounding but we cut it out and ran a straight pipe and it sounds alot meaner and is about the perfect db level... now we did true duals on a 318 with glasspacks and 2" pipe and it was ungodly loud... I mean you could hear him easily over a mile away. Just experiment everyone likes a little different sound. Good luck!

red2004 TRX450R
11-15-2005, 02:28 PM
get a cam with over .600 lift and 300 dur and then it would sound good! :D

o ya and all the stuff to make it work!! est 10G's done right!!

red2004 TRX450R
11-15-2005, 02:34 PM
or you could just play this real loud!

http://www.very.de/