PDA

View Full Version : Your second amendment

fasterz
11-14-2005, 02:51 PM
This is for a college essay and i need opinions of others for my paper. What is your interpretation of the 2nd amendment (the right to bear arms)? and if you wanted to how would you modify it?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."
Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Pappy
11-14-2005, 02:53 PM
i wouldnt change it:)

i would infact encourage more use of it.

11-14-2005, 02:56 PM
touchy subject

wilkin250r
11-14-2005, 03:38 PM
I have contradictory views.

Me, personally, I love my guns. I think people should have the right to own them, even automatics. I fully subscribe to the "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" philosophy. Don't take away MY guns, just because some 13yr-old kid in some stupid town 1500 miles away brought a gun to school. We don't need gun control, what we need is people control. More/better law enforcement.

However, I honestly believe the second amendment is outdated, sort of. The original intent (as written) is to allow states to assemble thier own military presense from the general population.

Honestly, how likely is it that we will need our general population, with shotguns and hunting rifles, to accomplish something our Armed Forces cannot?

Atreyu
11-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Just out of curiosity..what could you possibly need an automatic weapon for?

TRX_450
11-14-2005, 03:49 PM
wouldnt change it at all im actually doin a persuasive speech for speech class over that subject....

NRA for life!!!!!!!

Guy400
11-14-2005, 03:56 PM
If it were to be changed at all I'd explicitly state that it is the right of every individual citizen to own a weapon.

Freedogg
11-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Like Ted Nugget said why do you need a corvette to drive to get milk.
This subject is a huge one with many opions good luck

wilkin250r
11-14-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Atreyu

Need? Who said anything about "need". I "want" one.

Just the same I as "want" to celebrate Christmas, and I "want" to watch football, and I "want" to have a choice between store-brand and name-brand cheddar cheese.

There are many things in life that we "want", but don't "need", and it's all those little things that make the U.S.A. the greatest country on earth.

We don't "need" to teach Shakespeare in school, do we?

You don't "need" your quad, either, but I bet you "want" to keep it, don't you?

mrusk
11-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Why the heck don't i need a automatic weapon? Hmmm i can't think of any reasons. Oh yea, if i had one i'd spend all my beer money on ammo.

wilkin250r
11-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
If it were to be changed at all I'd explicitly state that it is the right of every individual citizen to own a weapon.

Except for felons. I fully support that little stipulation we've added.

A misdemeanor is one thing, people make mistakes. A felony is something else entirely. It goes beyond "mistake" to "extremely poor judgement skills", probably not somebody that we want owning firearms.

Guy400
11-14-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Except for felons. I fully support that little stipulation we've added.

A misdemeanor is one thing, people make mistakes. A felony is something else entirely. It goes beyond "mistake" to "extremely poor judgement skills", probably not somebody that we want owning firearms. I should've been more clear. I meant rewording the "militia" portion to explicitly spell out the general citizenry being allowed to carry arms. I agree, felons should never be allowed to carry again.

Butters
11-14-2005, 05:54 PM
I have contradictory views.

Me, personally, I love my guns. I think people should have the right to own them, even automatics. I fully subscribe to the "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" philosophy. Don't take away MY guns, just because some 13yr-old kid in some stupid town 1500 miles away brought a gun to school. We don't need gun control, what we need is people control. More/better law enforcement.

However, I honestly believe the second amendment is outdated, sort of. The original intent (as written) is to allow states to assemble thier own military presense from the general population.

Honestly, how likely is it that we will need our general population, with shotguns and hunting rifles, to accomplish something our Armed Forces cannot?

i agree. i mean i feel no need for guns, but that is my personal opinion. i'm not going to take them away from people that want them. i know i would be pissed if someone took away something i like. and thats all coming from me, and i'm a democrat. :eek:

hessianmx111
11-14-2005, 06:07 PM
http://bustedtees.com/images/secondamendment.356.home_thumb.jpg

Butters
11-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by hessianmx111
http://bustedtees.com/images/secondamendment.356.home_thumb.jpg

man he has some bear arms.

m_townsgreatest
11-14-2005, 06:46 PM
i think its a great thing! I also think that there should be a concealed carry for every state! Think about it, if everyone has a gun someones not going to pull one and try to shoot the other person in fear or something that they might be a better shot or more trained with their weapon

hessianmx111
11-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by m_townsgreatest
i think its a great thing! I also think that there should be a concealed carry for every state! Think about it, if everyone has a gun someones not going to pull one and try to shoot the other person in fear or something that they might be a better shot or more trained with their weapon
Yeah that's what we need, every dumbass in the United States walking around with a gun. I'm not against responsible people having guns, but it seems that they are way too easy to get ahold of.

Atreyu
11-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Need? Who said anything about "need". I "want" one.

Just the same I as "want" to celebrate Christmas, and I "want" to watch football, and I "want" to have a choice between store-brand and name-brand cheddar cheese.

There are many things in life that we "want", but don't "need", and it's all those little things that make the U.S.A. the greatest country on earth.

We don't "need" to teach Shakespeare in school, do we?

You don't "need" your quad, either, but I bet you "want" to keep it, don't you?

I was not insulting you or those who have autos so I hope that you did not take it that way. I am honestly just curious to see what you do with an automatic weapon as a recreational gun.

And m_townsgreatest, are you kidding?

Hondadudeehhhh
11-14-2005, 08:28 PM
isnt today's militia the national guard though (for some states)? I kind of fell asleep the other day in government class.

Quad18star
11-14-2005, 08:35 PM
I am honestly just curious to see what you do with an automatic weapon as a recreational gun.

I'm curious also !!!

What exactly would you guys use a fully automatic gun for?? Surely you wouldn't use it for deer hunting or duck hunting .... unless you wanted your game full of bullet holes .

MOFO
11-14-2005, 08:47 PM

Why not? This is the USA.

Some people could say "why do you ride ATV's?" Just ride a bike... ATV's could be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Some buy them for the sport, others buy them to collect, while others like my family buy them just because we can. :devil:

If someone wants a gun, for illegal purposes, they will get it - regardless of the laws.

Gun laws only affect the people that follow the law.

Dont punish us because of the criminals.

I'll quietly step off the soap box. :D

Butters
11-14-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
Why not? This is the USA.

Some people could say "why do you ride ATV's?" Just ride a bike... ATV's could be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Some buy them for the sport, others buy them to collect, while others like my family buy them just because we can. :devil:

If someone wants a gun, for illegal purposes, they will get it - regardless of the laws.

Gun laws only affect the people that follow the law.

Dont punish us because of the criminals.

I'll quietly step off the soap box. :D

yeah i mean its cool just to say hey, i have an AK.

honda350r
11-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I'm curious also !!!

What exactly would you guys use a fully automatic gun for?? Surely you wouldn't use it for deer hunting or duck hunting .... unless you wanted your game full of bullet holes .

It is all about destruction of property! The faster the bullets come out the more shiot you can destroy :macho

I like gun because you can make a single beer can into a thousand litttle pieces of metal!! :huh

Pappy
11-15-2005, 04:39 AM
in my younger days i did infact go deer hunting once with a fully automatic weapon. while it sounded cool, it was overrrated:devil:

getting the proper licsense to legally own a fully auto weapon is very easy. sure gets expensive shooting them tho:ermm:

Guy400
11-15-2005, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
getting the proper licsense to legally own a fully auto weapon is very easy. sure gets expensive shooting them tho:ermm: Not only that but then you get the map of the ATF, IRS, etc. I'd rather them not know I exist:D

mrusk
11-15-2005, 07:27 AM
Felons should be allowed to own guns. If we can't trust them with guns i guess they are still a threat to society and still belong in prison.

m_townsgreatest
11-15-2005, 08:03 AM
i didnt mean that everyone i meant that certain people should luike you should have to take a test and what not but i think concealed carry should be legal in all states.Sorry for the confusion of everyone i meant the responsible ones

derekhonda
11-15-2005, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by mrusk
Felons should be allowed to own guns. If we can't trust them with guns i guess they are still a threat to society and still belong in prison.

Think about what you just said.

If a felon follows the law and does not manage to get a gun, sure some may still be dangerous in certain ways, but for the majority of them, what can they do? Walk up to you and beat you with a notebook?? banana peel you to death?

Sure I know they can still stab you and whatever, but if they dont have a gun I would consider them non lethal.

And besides, there are way too many felons alive and not enough jail space to throw them all in.

I might not have done the best job tearing apart your argument, but it is early and i havnt had my coffee yet.

rneal
11-15-2005, 09:26 AM
I think only Felon's whom have committed violent crimes should not be allowed to own a gun. What's wrong with someone who was incarcerated for say tax evasion owning a gun? How many people have had a job that was paid under the table at some point in their lives? If you did not pay the proper taxes on that income, you are a felon..........

The second amendment is in place as a last resort or fail safe for the citizens of this nation to take control once again when necessary. The founding fathers knew that one day the same corruption and misuse of government power that we escaped in 1776 would again gain control over this great nation.

This is why we should have easy access to automatic firearms..... Nothing at all to do with hunting....... A government without the possibility of being overthrown from within is a very scary thing.....

Remember this; we are a government of the people, by the people and for the people.....

OK, time to crawl back in my hole......

F-16Guy
11-15-2005, 11:30 AM
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

underpowered
11-15-2005, 12:23 PM
had to do a spech on this in my speech 101 class over the summer. i think that everyone has the right to own a gun if they so choose, except those who have been proven to abuse them such as felons. The class i did my speech for was anti-second. i was one of the few people in the class that likes it. A buddy has a bumper sticker, "the second amendement makes all the others possible" or something like that. I do not own a gun, yet but will have one as soon as i can. I believe gun control is using both hands

red2004 TRX450R
11-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Once a year an Army assemblies and it is the largest Army in the world! it is all ways the first monday after thankgiving! and is in the state of Pennsylvania only!!

most schools get the day off so children can take part!
Its the most taken off day in PA that dont fall 1 day off a national Holliday!

before u tell me hunters are not an Army
Army = a large organized body of armed personnel out for a cause

wilkin250r
11-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I'm curious also !!!

Well, the very same thing you would use a YFZ450 for. That YFZ can't plow your driveway, it can't haul a trailer, it can't really be used to go hunting to reach remote areas, or haul a deer back to camp.

That YFZ isn't very useful for any type of work, but dang, sure is fun to roost and jump, ain't it?

I'll admit, an automatic weapon can't be used for anything "useful", but many people do derive a great deal of pleasure by just going out and shooting. I'm one of them. Every so often, I line up bottles and cans, and see how far away I can plink them off with a .22 This is hardly "useful", but I still find it fun.

I think turning an old scrap refrigerator into swiss cheese in 3 seconds would be cool beans, the first few times at least. This isn't enough motivation for ME to bother with the expense of owning a fully automatic, but I know that some people would. And I believe they should have that right.

Quad18star
11-16-2005, 01:32 PM
Well, the very same thing you would use a YFZ450 for. That YFZ can't plow your driveway, it can't haul a trailer, it can't really be used to go hunting to reach remote areas, or haul a deer back to camp.

That YFZ isn't very useful for any type of work, but dang, sure is fun to roost and jump, ain't it?

I'll admit, an automatic weapon can't be used for anything "useful", but many people do derive a great deal of pleasure by just going out and shooting. I'm one of them. Every so often, I line up bottles and cans, and see how far away I can plink them off with a .22 This is hardly "useful", but I still find it fun.

I think turning an old scrap refrigerator into swiss cheese in 3 seconds would be cool beans, the first few times at least. This isn't enough motivation for ME to bother with the expense of owning a fully automatic, but I know that some people would. And I believe they should have that right.

Ahh gotcha !!!

Atkins
11-16-2005, 01:44 PM

Personally, I think the second ammendment was created by our founding fathers to give us the ability to defend ourselves against our own government if it gets out of hand and communist or something, so autos would be important for this.