PDA

View Full Version : bad knocking... what now?

Xrider06
11-14-2005, 02:03 PM
I had a post on here a little while ago about my engine knocking and said that i took off the top end and couldn't see anything wrong with it but then i took the jug to get it honed and gave them the piston to clean up and they found that theres a crack in the piston skirt. Do you think this could have been making the knocking sound? There was also some metal shavings in the side cover when i took it off but i'm not sure if they all could have came from the crack. Do you think that :confused: :eek: is my only problem or do you think the knocking is still from the bottom end or something? any info is greatly appreciated.

XCredrider
11-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Im not sure if that would have caused thte knocking sound but it might have. What you want to find out is why the piston is cracked. That will most likely tell you your problem and noise. Did you check the rod for play? It is supposed to wiggle but not slide or move up and down. Also... what side are you talking about when you say there were shavings? Clutch side is normal but i figure you are talking about the stator side. If it is the stator side and there is a knocking like you say, the first thing that comes to mind is main bearings. Check those by trying to wiggle the entire crank assembly. Chech some of those things and we'll go from there. Hope this helps :D

Xrider06
11-14-2005, 02:58 PM
It is the clutch side that the shavings are in. How is that normal to have shavings there?

beerock
11-14-2005, 11:57 PM
if you have shavings something is goin on. my hunch would be check out the counter balancer bearing on both sides. if you find your problem there then there ya go, if not, make sure eevrything spins well and does not wiggle.

unless the metal shavings are almost sparkle size?

the piston slap is normal to a degree could be counter balancer related to why theres a crack in the piston.

XCredrider
11-19-2005, 06:21 PM
i figured you were just talking about small pieces such as clutch shavings. If they are larger than specs it is most likely a bearing coming apart. Beerock made a good point with the counter balancer bearing being bad.