PDA

View Full Version : buying a 400EX

foxr
11-14-2005, 12:03 PM
Im intrested in buying a 400ex for trail riding and i just went and checked out a 01 400ex at a dealer today. its got a big bore kit on it that the guy said its more like a 460, rethanal handle bars with a little bend in them, newer rear tires, and i think it had a white brothers pipe if i remeber right. the quad looked well used with chips in the frame paint all over and dull plastic.

They want $4,000 CAD(brand new one is $8,500 CAD here) for it wich is probaly around like $3,000USD.

The dealer has a monthly payments so thats a turn on.

Does this sound like a quad half decent for age and price or should i just save up and look for a private sale one?

What things should i check out on it before deciding on buying?

underpowered
11-14-2005, 12:31 PM
if it looks beat i would not buy it. plus if it is a 460, something with that much motor work would be a turn off unless you know everything about the motor. you dont know who built it, how it was broke in, what gas teh prvious owner ran, how it was ridden. i would stay away from it if it was me, look for something with less motor work done to it and looks good.

jlstang351
11-14-2005, 02:31 PM
Seems weird how he can sink all that money into the bike and then loose his @ss by trading it in. I would steer away from that. Im always nervous about buying used. You just have no idea what your getting into. See if the dealership will offer a warranty.

Unverfehrt400ex
11-14-2005, 04:51 PM
if your buying one thats used id try to find one with an almost stock engine. 460 is pretty big and i wouldnt trust buyin one unless you know exacally everything that is done inside the engine

foxr
11-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the replys

should i stay away from somthing with a 440 big bore kit too?

also if its a brand new rebuild with very few hours, maybe none is it normal for the bike to blow some smoke out the exhaust?

underpowered
11-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by foxr
Thanks for the replys

should i stay away from somthing with a 440 big bore kit too?

also if its a brand new rebuild with very few hours, maybe none is it normal for the bike to blow some smoke out the exhaust?

i would try to buy as stock of bike as possible. some small stuff like a pipe, tires, wheels, nerfs are good, but dont get anything with major motor work like a 440 kit. A bike will blow some smoke for a few hours after a rebuild letting the rings seat and valves set, as well as burning some oil out of the exhaust, but only for the first couple hours.