PDA

View Full Version : why will my 400 only start in nutral?

smithmonsters
11-14-2005, 07:45 AM
Why will my 01 400 ex only start when its in nutral? What can i do to fix it. Thanks

js3350z
11-14-2005, 07:58 AM
mine starts ingear sometimes (as long as clutch is pulled in)

other times I have to get to Neutral

sorry I couldn't be of more assistance:(

Chino886
11-14-2005, 08:03 AM
There is a switch inside the stock light/kill/start switch that allows you to start in gear with the clutch pulled in. If you have it in gear, you have to pull clutch in.

I hope that helped. If you have replace the stock light/kill switch let me know.

300exOH
11-14-2005, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by smithmonsters
Why will my 01 400 ex only start when its in nutral? What can i do to fix it. Thanks

Do you still have the stock clutch lever? If so check the wires going to the switch on the perch. If the wires are okay then you could have a bad switch.

muddy400EX
11-14-2005, 03:29 PM
mine did that for awhile and it was blowing fuses. ended up the powermadd was pinching the ignition wire and every time i would go to start it it would blow fuses. so i guess im saying you could have a bad connection somewhere, hope that helped:)

Unverfehrt400ex
11-14-2005, 04:47 PM
mine would never start in gear ever since i bought it a year ago, even when i had the clutch pulled in. well a few weeks ago i bought some new clutch and brake levers and i put them on there cause my old ones got bent. after that it worked perfect and would start in gear again. i have no idea how

JDiablo
11-14-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Unverfehrt400ex
mine would never start in gear ever since i bought it a year ago, even when i had the clutch pulled in. well a few weeks ago i bought some new clutch and brake levers and i put them on there cause my old ones got bent. after that it worked perfect and would start in gear again. i have no idea how

Probably the clutch wasnt engaging the lil button that it does when it is pulled in

tprender
11-14-2005, 05:42 PM
The 2 wires on the clutch is a safety feature by Honda so that the quad can only be started with the clutch pulled in. If you have taken the stock perch off and replaced it with some type of after makert setup the 2 wires must be put together. Check to see if the 2 wires have come apart are if there is a break in the wires someplace. This is most likely your problem.

smithmonsters
11-14-2005, 09:17 PM
It wont start unless it in nutral even with the clutch pulled in. I have the stock start switch ( just bought a new start switch cus the old one had a broken wire) I replaced the lame ebrake lever assemble with a normal perch. I may need a longer or new cable. I was just wondering if hoda just wouldnt let them start if it was in gear regardless if the clutch was in or out.

300exOH
11-14-2005, 09:56 PM
It wont start unless it in nutral even with the clutch pulled in. I have the stock start switch ( just bought a new start switch cus the old one had a broken wire) I replaced the lame ebrake lever assemble with a normal perch. I may need a longer or new cable. I was just wondering if hoda just wouldnt let them start if it was in gear regardless if the clutch was in or out.

If you replaced the stock clutch perch with an aftermarket one then all you need to do is take the 2 wires that went to the switch and connect them together. You will just have to make sure you remember to pull in the clutch while in gear when you hit the e start button or the quad will try to move.

smithmonsters
11-14-2005, 10:40 PM
i just cut those fittings off. so i need to wire them together?

300exOH
11-14-2005, 10:55 PM
i just cut those fittings off. so i need to wire them together?

Yes. That's what I did with mine when I added my RTC clutch lever. I just took a butt(sp) connector and crimped the neutral safety switch wires together and taped them really well. Then I just tucked them under the front plastic.