PDA

View Full Version : how will the crf 450 quads hang against this yamaha power plant?

worm
06-21-2002, 10:52 PM
i dont know any details except it only has 4 gears for weight reduction..........its a yzf 450

kc 300EX
06-21-2002, 11:19 PM
4 gears thats weird.....

Just ask Tim Farr.......

Z400central
06-21-2002, 11:21 PM
450! WHOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) the 426 had more power than the crf 450 and now the 426 is bumped to 450....c ya later honda!!!

Nausty
06-21-2002, 11:43 PM
i want that motor in my quad.

Smoker
06-22-2002, 12:08 AM
The WR 450 has electric start. That will make it real popular, or convert a YZF450 motor to electric.

Guy400
06-22-2002, 05:49 AM
oooof, that's nice. The only thing I can say about only running 4 gears is you've got to remember that dirtbikes come from the factory more "purpose built" than our quads. These bikes are made for MX racing and as such use 5th gear very little. I don't know about you but I don't know if I've ever been on a track where I can pin 5th gear.

Zquad
06-22-2002, 06:04 AM
I agree. I can see only 4 gears for racing, but for the riding most of us do, I don't think 4 gears is such a great idea. Although, the old powerglide transmissions for cars never got any complaints.:)

Tommy 17
06-22-2002, 10:37 AM
i would still take the honda cr450f... i think its a better machine but what the :devil do i know haha...

i don't like the 4th gear idea bc its just like a cr and yz 125 compared to a kx or rm... the cr and yz have 5 gears and the rm and kx have 6 gear... its much easier and more forgiving if u ride the 6 gears bc it will rev faster... its much easier to bog the 5 speed if u mess up... u also have to fan the clutch more on the 5 speed then the 6...

i think a ktm 520 is 3 or 4 gears i can't remember anymore... one of them is 3 gears i dunno what model though... it mayb the sx?

i know u all are goin to call me crazy but i am in 5th gear alot! most tracks here have long straights and when i am trail riding i am always in 5th gear tryin to grab another... mayb it just the type of riding here though...

Nausty
06-22-2002, 12:55 PM
yah but its a 4 stroke so it makes power all over so they don't need tighter gears so that they can constantly be in the 'meat' of the power band. Compare a blasters transmission to a 400ex transmission each gear is like how fast you wanna go and when you nail the gas you only go a little bit faster because the motor is wrapping out. I bet the thing still tops out close to or faster than 70mph.

mrusk
06-22-2002, 12:56 PM
I wouldnt worry about the 4th gear thing guys. Remember Yamaha is making this bike. They dont have there heads up there asses. Yamaha knows what there doing when its comes to 2 wheel machines. This machine will send honda back to the drawning boards!

The bike even has a autodecompression. That will make the thing start as easy as your old ladys vacum.

I want this engine in a quad.

matt

Nausty
06-22-2002, 01:05 PM
ever sence the new 450f and yz450f I think four strokes are definitely here to stay the yz250f blows away the compition in the 125 class and these new 4 strokes tear 250's apart on the mx tracks.

mrusk
06-22-2002, 01:08 PM
I wantta 4 stroke. If yammy or honda dont built a 440 racer soon in a year or too i am going to build a walsh yzf. Without a doubt. My dad is already talking about it.

matt

06-22-2002, 01:09 PM
come on honda or yami throw those engines in a fo wheeler frame and you got yourself a racer!

Z400central
06-23-2002, 12:57 AM
y arnt they in quads? that 450, a 426 produces way more power than a raptor 660:huh

Nausty
06-23-2002, 01:19 AM
yah but most people only see the 660:echo::echo: and its the biggest so most people thing its the best and more people buy it which is all they would care about.

EricB
06-23-2002, 02:22 PM
but think about it this way, the 660 is tuned for a quad...thus de-tuned quite a bit. if they had the 660 tuned for one of their big 4 stroke bikes it would be INSANE...but all i know is i'm going to have a quad with a yz450f or a cr450f engine in it one of these days. so much power!

gotta love how everyone is always worried about 2smokes going away, they wont have a light fast dirt bike. but this thing only weighs 221lbs and produces as much or more power as a stock 250 2smoke, i'd bet 100 dollars on that.

Edit: i was just curious on the weight issue, but the YZ450F is only 7 lbs heavyer than a yz250.

Pro400EXC
06-24-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by hpicrv00
450! WHOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) the 426 had more power than the crf 450 and now the 426 is bumped to 450....c ya later honda!!!

Hey Bro,sry to break it to yah,but the 426F makes 49HP,and the CRF450 makes 51hp,sooo the 450F now makes probably about 45hp.

Alos,the 426F has a harder 2stroke like hitt than the CRF450,the CRF has a smooth 4stroke like power.

Also the 426F has less bottom end than the CRF,but it makes a lil more Mid Range.

Keep in mind now also,the 426F is a DOHC with 5valves and the CRF is SOHC with 4vavles,so that makes a lil differance.

One more thing, the KTM 520 SX is a 4speed and it has no problem,the only thing is in Drags the CRF450 smokes it,cause it don't have that 5th gear.

Also,give honda a couple yrs,then there CRF will be a even more rip snortin monster,like the CRF was when it raised the bar in the Light Weight 4stroke MX bikes.

Thks,Pro

06-24-2002, 09:21 PM
how would a 330 or 310R with powervalve hold up with the new yz426 and the crf450 on the track (if the motor was in a quad frame) ?

bansheeguy77
06-24-2002, 09:31 PM
a few pro's i talked 2 said that 330r's keep up with 426's but their not faster....and yea the 4 speed will not be a problem....tim ferry runs i belive a 3 speed it might be a 4 but im pretty sure its 3 on his yz426 bike and he does great. those things are gonna be so sweet....honda will come out with something in about 4-5 years then yamaha will have them beat the next year and send honda back to drawing again for 5 years....it takes honda 10 years to draw a quad....and the 426 makes 51 and the crf only makes 49 i have my new dirt bike mag laying right here if u want evidence.

Castor-426ex
06-24-2002, 10:33 PM
I just dont get it?
All these high tech thumpers for Dirtbikes....dont they get it?
All the atv manufacturers who make a sport or high performance four stroke atv use an older engine previously used on something else... Besides Cannondale...all they do is mess with it in the way of de-tuning it or adding reverse...to make it more quad friendly...
But they pop out the awesome, jerk your arms out of socket-motors for the dirtbikes....It sucks...Just think if Yamaha put that 450 engine in a quad frame and marketed it....You think it would hurt the Raptor and Banshee sales???
Just think if Honda put the Crf 450 motor in a quad frame....do you think it would hurt the 400ex sales???

Me too....Lets take Honda over..theres enough of us here..wherever the nearest headquarters is we should go there...ALL of us...lol and take that place hostage till they build us a new quad...

Im just blowin off steam...my wife bought a POlariS that has major problems....its manufacturer

Nausty
06-24-2002, 11:10 PM
well we should make our selves known as the exriders mulisha and now we need to station some troops in japan to take over honda and hold them hostage until they produce the race read cr450f/400ex hybrid and rerelease a updated version of the 250r with the 02 250cr motor.

oh yeah yamaha's are the 4 stroke KING plain and simple i mean these are the guys who came out with the yz400f and was winning pro mx races with handlebars, exhaust and graphics. I can't remember the guy but he was a yamaha guy who was injured and doesn't race any more. They came out with the 250f which tears apart 125's and now they got have bumped the yz426 which basically equels a 450f now to a 450 and done probably WAY more stuff to it and by the time honda comes out with a 250f yamaha will have a 4 stroke 150f for the 80cc class and they are are starting the make the rule about having to have 2 times as many cc's to make the same amount of hp untrue and has enough bottem to mid to rip your arms off and the 426 and cr450 even put out more top end hp.

Nausty
06-24-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Castor-400ex
I just dont get it?
All these high tech thumpers for Dirtbikes....dont they get it?
All the atv manufacturers who make a sport or high performance four stroke atv use an older engine previously used on something else... Besides Cannondale...all they do is mess with it in the way of de-tuning it or adding reverse...to make it more quad friendly...
But they pop out the awesome, jerk your arms out of socket-motors for the dirtbikes....It sucks...Just think if Yamaha put that 450 engine in a quad frame and marketed it....You think it would hurt the Raptor and Banshee sales???
Just think if Honda put the Crf 450 motor in a quad frame....do you think it would hurt the 400ex sales???

Me too....Lets take Honda over..theres enough of us here..wherever the nearest headquarters is we should go there...ALL of us...lol and take that place hostage till they build us a new quad...

Im just blowin off steam...my wife bought a POlariS that has major problems....its manufacturer

the reason I think they detune them is for reliability and because 4 wheelers are put through many times more stress and plus a high cc dirt bike a young kid can't even put his leg over one but yet my uncle lets her 7 year old daughter drive his 400 praire and has rolled it over twice. And they probably don't wanna be sued like with the 250r days which is dumb I think it has to be that way. If yamaha or honda came out with a great chasis and put there 450f motors in there and just put on decent a-arms and stuff most people can upgrade later so that its cheaper i'm sure they would sell them by the masses. They also don't upgrade them because dirt bikes they get new ones every few years and quads if they modded them they still wouldn't sell them to get the new models because the differances wouldn't be that great with out being able to exchange old parts onto the new and I know if honda updated a few things I wouldn't sell my 400ex for 4500 to buy a new one again and have to start modding it again and have to buy new parts because the old won't fit.

Pro400EXC
06-26-2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by bansheeguy
runs i belive a 3 speed it might be a 4 but im pretty sure its 3 on his yz426 bike and he does great. those things are gonna be so sweet....honda will come out with something in about 4-5 years then yamaha will have them beat the next year and send honda back to drawing again for 5 years....it takes honda 10 years to draw a quad....and the 426 makes 51 and the crf only makes 49 i have my new dirt bike mag laying right here if u want evidence.

OK,now thet must be a m iss print,because I know for a fact the CRF makes 51HP and the 426f MAKES 49hp,and a yz250 makes 46hp.

I know thats true,i sware on my FoHundred.

Also Ferry only runs the 3speed in SX,but in MX he needs that extra gearing beccause a MX track is wider spread.

Also,just wait til 2006-2007,then we will see the ulitmate light weight thumpers. Because the factories won't be able to produce 2smoke,Honda and everyone will have to put all there R&D in Thumpers.

And alos in a Drag,the CRF is king,I know this doesn't matter,but if you and in a long straight againts a 426F and 520SX you'll out pull them.

The CRF is still a great bike in my opinion,i mean look at it,it brought down the weight in 250 class thumper and has awsome technology,like the F1 type piston.

Thks,
Pro

Redwing
11-11-2002, 11:36 PM
Honda is the best. If your not a honda fan why bother coming here . I have a 88 fourtrax that still runs perfect. A friend of mine beat the piss out of a blaster in 5 months. And another friend of mine made a raptor fall apart. Your Yamaha's is GA'BAGE!

:devil

Castor-426ex
11-11-2002, 11:51 PM
wow this thread was old

beerock
11-11-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Redwing
Honda is the best. If your not a honda fan why bother coming here . I have a 88 fourtrax that still runs perfect. A friend of mine beat the piss out of a blaster in 5 months. And another friend of mine made a raptor fall apart. Your Yamaha's is GA'BAGE!

:devil

ahahahahahahaha