PDA

View Full Version : Gains with carb?

250xridamatt
11-13-2005, 05:00 PM
I am looking for a good christmas present, and was thinking about getting a carb. I have a 400ex with a baldwin 426 motor, and a wb e-series pipe. I have heard great things about the fcr 39mm, and have been looking for a used one. As to make it more affordable as a christmas present. I hope to start racing next year, when I turn 16. What kind of gains would you guess I would get from this carb? And why is this carb better than the others? Thanks, Matt

RiderTRX400ex
11-13-2005, 06:04 PM
yes youll get good gains.

partyboy300ex
11-13-2005, 07:33 PM
i would go with the 41mm Edelbrok (sp?) the Doug Eincher seris ive heard really good stuff about that

250xridamatt
11-13-2005, 07:49 PM
Ive read about problems with the edlebrock, and I have heard that the fcr is better quality. Does anyone know what kind of gain I can expect?

2muchquad
11-13-2005, 10:20 PM
the fcr will give you better throttle response but its not gonna get you 3 extra hp.i have heard riders talk of increased topend pull with these carbs but im sure setup jetting etc will depend on how it performs on certain applications.

11-14-2005, 08:02 AM
I got one on my 416. all I have to say is you better be good a jetting if you get a used one. I bought mine used, I shiped it out later to c&d to get it tuned in because I was so sick of it. now I have it back and it has way more power than my stock carb that had the coke removed and was ported. so ya, a fcr carb is fast, but they have a bog when you romp on it. so like when you go to pull a wheelie or somthing it bogs for me.

nakomis0
11-14-2005, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't recommend the Edlebrock either. Stick with the FCR. On built motors you notice a huge difference. Its going to be a little less noticable on less built motors.

SHADETREE101
11-14-2005, 06:42 PM
the reason you have teh bog is because the accelerator pump is out of tune. you need to time the pump. read on sparksracing.com they will explain it. i have had the sparks fcr 41mm on mine and it ran great big gain over stock. i have since moved to alcohol and changed to the 44mm lectron. even bigger gains than the fcr. the fcr was also set up for alcohol. i would not waste my time on the 39mm go for the 41mm especially if you have some port work done. you will gain more top end with the 41mm , and that is what the 426 needs.