PDA

View Full Version : Power of a 265PV?

rebelbanshee
11-13-2005, 04:46 PM
Im looking at a PC2000 265 pv cylender. It has a Baldwin midrange MX port. Right now I have a Paul Turner National woods port, stock jug. It has unreal low end snap (friend rode it and said "those powervalves are sweet!) and is sweet in the tight stuff, but my bros Pro-X 310 blows be away in the straights and on hills.

Anyone have any experience with these jugs? I ride all woods, super tight and wide open stuff. Id like good low end and enough power to rip on top. I know 265s scream up top, but hows the low end? would they perform as good as a non-pv 310? Id like a 310pv but they seem to be pricier and rarer. This 265 seems like an alright deal for $800.

Any insight would be great!

deathman53
11-13-2005, 04:56 PM
if you want the best of both, you need a pv, my 310pv rips all around, it was better in the low end when I had a esr atc5 pipe and 38 a/s vs the paul turner hi-rev and 39 pwk.

baker250r
11-14-2005, 02:57 PM
I have a 270pv, and i gotta say, they do rip like no other i had a 265 midrange ported stock jug, and that turned on at about 1/4 throttle to 1/2. it had arm ripping power when it turned on... and i think alot of the power was lost in wheel spin... then when i switched over to my 270pv. i noticed 2 things. 1. the power was there right away, and pulled clear to the top, in a nice smooth power delivery. 2. I was puttin in faster lap times than i had been on the 265, probly because more of my power was getting to the ground, and i wasnt loosing it thru wheelspin.

rebelbanshee
11-14-2005, 04:17 PM
thanks

anyone know how a 265pv would compare to a non pv 310?

bardeenm1
11-18-2005, 05:32 AM
ttt

jas250r
11-18-2005, 02:45 PM
I'am curious about the power of a 265 or 270 pv, has anyone seen or had theirs dynoed, i thought i heard the esr 310pv was around 50hp? how much power do you lose on a smaller pv like a 265pv?

zedicus00
11-18-2005, 03:30 PM
u guys know PV's dont increase totall HP right??? and actually they will decrease topend HP just a lil....

250r4life
11-18-2005, 03:33 PM
well, that depends on what your other alternative top end set up would be... it does limit what you can do top end, but i dont know about taking it away...

addictedtomud
11-18-2005, 05:21 PM
I bought a PC2000 265 PV motor with Paul Turner Midrange port brand new. I was not impressed with the low end power. I switched back to stock cylinder and recouped most of my money about 8 months ago. Have not regretted that decision...more money to spend on other stuff.

If you want to sell your woods ported cylinder email pic and price to kyonak@earthlink.net

Kyle

Meat
11-18-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by zedicus00
u guys know PV's dont increase totall HP right??? and actually they will decrease topend HP just a lil....

Powervalved engines will produce more Hp than a non pv motor. Why\How?? The power valve is located in the exhaust port. When a cylinder get "porting work" done, the intake port, the transfer ports and the exhaust ports get reshaped. Raising the top edge of the exhaust port effectly gives you more horsepower, grind a little off the exhaust port and you get smaller, conservative hp gains, raise the exhaust port alot and you get a "drag racing port", a port that produces alot of HP !! But there's a downfall of raising the exhaust port to "drag racing" specs, you lose your bottom end power and the power delevery is more abrupt. This is how the powervalve adds HP, by running a powervalve in your exhaust port, the exhaust port can be run at or near drag race\high HP specs, but still retain all or even more low end power than a stock setup. The powervalve allows you to run a higher exhaust port. The powervalve is essentially a variable exhaust port, you start with the powervalve making the exhaust port really low, this is what adds your low end power that powervalve motors are know for, then the powervalve raises or lowers in conjuction with engine RPM, this smooths out the power curve and is the second big advantage of a powervalve motor, and the third advantage is..... when the exhaust powervalve is fully open, the exhaust port height is high enough to put out drag race spec porting HP numbers. Better low end, smoother power delivery and the ability to run an aggressive exhaust port height with none of the disadvantages found on a non pv motor with a highly ported exhaust port.

Rebel, Id say.... dont get anything smaller than a 310. The reason 265 is a popular number is because that used to be the max 2 stroke CC limit in motorcross racing. My bet is, you'll love the 265pv, but after a years time of riding it, you'll be wishing you went with 310 or 330 even.

doc-bones
11-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Have 265LRD pv and 2 CT 310 non pv. 310 stronger everywhere! No doubts! Also have Sparks 350 pv very fast and smooth!

250r4life
11-19-2005, 01:51 AM
i personally wouldnt go anything over a 310... i'm not a fan of the big bores... they dont rev near as quick/high as the smaller bores, and the smaller bores can be just as fast... i love revving my bike out... to me i prefer something 310 and under as opposed to the big bore 250rs or like a quadzilla... the motors & feel of them are pretty different, among other reasons

rebelbanshee
11-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Meat

Rebel, Id say.... dont get anything smaller than a 310. The reason 265 is a popular number is because that used to be the max 2 stroke CC limit in motorcross racing. My bet is, you'll love the 265pv, but after a years time of riding it, you'll be wishing you went with 310 or 330 even.

Thats what I was thinking, but the 265s seem to be so much cheaper. Im just going to have to save my pennies alittle more and hold out for the ultimate

TheIceMan
11-19-2005, 04:45 PM
If you can get a great deal on the 265,IMO,I'd buy it.You could always run a stroker crank with it,or re-sleeve and go big bore later.

Meat
11-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Rebel, you know from owning a banshee, you might as well do it right the first time. On the other hand, im sure the 265 is a fun motor, but even with the powervalve, how much more HP are we talking about over your woods ported 250 ?? Prolly not enough, thats how much :ermm: Another thing I thought of, when Chris Borich and Matt Smiley were racin' 250R's in the Gncc's they were running the smaller 265 powervalved motors, while Ballance ran two different motors, one smaller cc'ed PV motor and one big ol 310pv. All three guys ran LRD built motors. He'd change motors depending on the track. Just something to think about......

To add to my long drawn out powervalve explaination that one could make the claim that a powervalve doesnt give you any extra HP. They physical parts of the powervalve dont give you the HP. The Hp gains are from the higher exaust port durations that are enabled from the use of an exhaust powervalve. Tricky wording, but I just wanted to add that thought in case there was some confusion. :D

deathman53
11-19-2005, 08:59 PM
I thought chris borch used a 300pv and ballance used a relseeve 300. I'd get a 310pv fromt the start, more than enough power, its almost too much power for a trike, I can attest to that.

rebelbanshee
11-20-2005, 07:34 AM
ballance did have a 300 resleave for a while, but i think eventually he was running a 350pv..could be wrong though

TampaBoy813
11-20-2005, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by rebelbanshee
ballance did have a 300 resleave for a while, but i think eventually he was running a 350pv..could be wrong though My friend just got a 350nonPV and its way more then I was ever thinking...its a real kicker after riding 4 stokes....

Meat
11-20-2005, 08:49 AM
yep i now remember the 300 re-sleeve on the ballance-mobile, I guess I got those pro's engines all wrong. oh well, im getting old and my memory aint as sharp:ermm: :D

I can remember seeing replica engines in some older LRD magazine ads, they had a Borich replica engine and I thought it was a 265, but now im not sure:confused:

Rebelbanshee, the $800 dollar deal. Is that just for the jugg\head or is that a complete motor, top and bottom ??

rebelbanshee
11-20-2005, 10:52 AM
that was for the jug head and 2 pistons. it got sold now anyway so it doesnt matter.