PDA

View Full Version : LOUD fun

One_Bad_400
06-21-2002, 10:18 PM
i was cleanin' my ride this afternoon, and felt like messin' with stuff, so i took off my stock muffler, and DANG was it loud!!!

i knew it would be and it was kinda fun, but i was wondering..........would it have more power with it off or on???

not that i was going to leave it like that(old man across the street would complain, lol)

250xman
06-21-2002, 11:09 PM
DONT EVER RUN WITHOUT A MUFFLER AGAIN!!!!! if you run with out a muffler you will drop a valve in about 10 miniutes riding time. be VERY carful about doing that or you WILL regret it. trust me i know about runnin w/o a muffler. i droped a valve about 2 yrs ago doing it.

phatswinn
06-22-2002, 08:54 AM
what do you mean bye dropping a valve? j/w

Punk13rym
06-22-2002, 09:09 AM
doesn't the valve fall into the cylander and mess everything up in there. its definitally not a very good to do.

One_Bad_400
06-22-2002, 10:32 AM
i didn't plan on riding it much like that, just wanted to see what it would sound like, but that might have had to do with something completely different, cause i used to own a 2000 TRX90 and the bolts holding the muffler on fell out, and the muffler fell off, i rode it like that for a LONG time just for fun and i never had ANY problems with that bike.(i've also done the same thing to a Yamaha PW80 dirtbike and we sold it to the kid down the street and he rides it everyday without problems)

FullBore52
06-22-2002, 10:55 AM
TRX90's and PW80's are totally different from your 400ex. The reason the valve drops is because of no back pressure. Your silencer gives it back pressure. When the valve drops, it drops as the piston goes down, lands on top of the piston, then when the piston comes up it usually all goes out the side...

the little bikes didnt do it because they have roughly 5:1 compression and about 8 horsepower...

RED121572
06-22-2002, 01:36 PM
I know its cool to have the loudest machine on the block, but please keep it quiet. Noise pollution is one of the few things that the tree hungers complain about. That leads to riding areas being shut down.

You can have a blast riding quads, but you gotta be smart about it too.:eek:

Leo
06-22-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Screamin 'Shee
TRX90's and PW80's are totally different from your 400ex. The reason the valve drops is because of no back pressure. Your silencer gives it back pressure. When the valve drops, it drops as the piston goes down, lands on top of the piston, then when the piston comes up it usually all goes out the side...

the little bikes didnt do it because they have roughly 5:1 compression and about 8 horsepower...

huh..?

the valve isn't going to fall out of the head just because there is no silencer...

lol

about the worse that might happen is right after you shut the motor off (and the exhaust valve is still nice and hot) a good rush of cold air get's to it.. perhaps warping it and giving you vavle seating troubles..

Leo

redzoomer
06-22-2002, 09:10 PM
Yeah...What Leo said!! They don't just fall out!:huh :huh

optikid123
06-22-2002, 09:26 PM
hopefully it wouldnt fall out

stocktires
06-23-2002, 12:10 AM
thanx RED121572,
Thats what I'm saying, that's the reason people dont like people who ride. Its like all my friends ride as loud as they possibly can, with the loudest muffler they can find and then they get mad cuz everyone hates, call's cops, ect when they ride their quad/bike. Then it gives me and every other good rider a bad rap.

One_Bad_400
06-23-2002, 10:20 AM
ya'll need to calm down, i only rode the thing up and down my driveway about 4 times.

R-Crazy
06-23-2002, 12:37 PM
youll be fine. as long as u had the headder on, but dont do it again. a avlve wont just "fall out".

dave

Rastus
06-23-2002, 01:42 PM
If theres no backpressure the valves will burn up, or warp.