PDA

View Full Version : Oil Question

EPDP99
11-13-2005, 03:24 PM
I did the search but need a more specific answer. Heres the questions.
I used to run mobile 1 red cap but since they changed i havent ran it. I just got more head work, bigger cam and new rocker arms and bigger valves. Cam and rockers are hardened this time. What oil should i use since i was running synthetic before and need to break in the cam? What to use for after the cam break in? Are you guys using the new mobile 1 red cap with the modifiers? I know some have been running it but hows it doing in your bikes now after some time has gone by?

EPDP99
11-14-2005, 02:44 PM
bump, need answers soon. getting head back in 2 days.

tater_kamik
11-14-2005, 04:57 PM
you shouldnt use the oil with friction modifiers, unless your tranny fluid is seperate from your engine oil. i would just run a regular oil (i use yamalube, but it doesnt really matter) without the friction modifiers for break in, then thoroughy drain your oil out, replace with the synthetic of your choice, then do your oil changes as usual afterwards!

Rip_Tear
11-14-2005, 06:01 PM
Umm, you should not switch between synthetic and regular oil. Once you've used synthetic it leave a "film" on your parts that doesn't allow regular oil to work as well. (I may not be correct but thats what I last remember).

I use Amsoil 5w50 or 10w50 synthetic, I've had no problems.

NacsMXer
11-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Umm, you should not switch between synthetic and regular oil. Once you've used synthetic it leave a "film" on your parts that doesn't allow regular oil to work as well. (I may not be correct but thats what I last remember).

I use Amsoil 5w50 or 10w50 synthetic, I've had no problems.

You're partially true on that one. It's not good to switch back and forth from regular petroleum oil to synthetic on a regular basis as the chemical compositions of each type of oil will hinder the performance of each other respectively. Switching rarely in a pinch, or during break-in are absolutely fine for the motor.

Just use a good quality Full Synthetic. I too, used to run the Mobil 1 15w50 red cap but now I run Shell Rotella T Full Synthetic 5w40 (comparable to Mobil 1 in quality in virgin oil analysis). You can buy it at Walmart for 12 bucks a gallon......not too shabby if you ask me :o

400exrider707
11-14-2005, 07:49 PM
I run klotz mx4 full synthetic. Best oil I've ever used, and it damn well better be for $10.50 a quart:eek2: . Seriously after switching to the kloz from running GN4, the engine noise reduced substantially and my shifting, clutch action became much smoother.

redlineranger
11-14-2005, 08:36 PM
since were talking bout oil... im runnin gn4 10w40 in my 300ex now and im bout to change it... im switchin to castrol green cap.(anything bad about switchin?) everyone who's sayin they use synthetic oils i have a question. isnt synthetic oil bad for the clutch or something like that?(thats what ive always heard)

400exrider707
11-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by redlineranger
since were talking bout oil... im runnin gn4 10w40 in my 300ex now and im bout to change it... im switchin to castrol green cap.(anything bad about switchin?) everyone who's sayin they use synthetic oils i have a question. isnt synthetic oil bad for the clutch or something like that?(thats what ive always heard)

Car synthetics are, cause they contain molybdenum which is a friction modifier. You can use a synthetic designed for wet clucth systems, such as the klotz I use. Search for this topic there is already a wealth of info on this topic right on this site.

redlineranger
11-15-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Car synthetics are, cause they contain molybdenum which is a friction modifier. You can use a synthetic designed for wet clucth systems, such as the klotz I use. Search for this topic there is already a wealth of info on this topic right on this site.

yea i thought i seen where synthetic is bad though..... im switchin to castrol non synthetic 10w40..... exboy use's it in his 400 and it works fine. and i dont have the time to travel 50 miles everytime i need more GN4..... so it shouldnt hurt it