PDA

View Full Version : carb or electrical problem, not sure which

rdr55
11-13-2005, 02:58 PM
just bought this quad recently and it hasn't ran right. i've searched the forums and found a few ideas but havnt had any luck yet.

1.the battery goes dead so i think im gonna try running the lights on and see if it solves that problem.

2. the quad bogs from idle to 1/2 throttle when you punch it, but the problem doesn't exsist if i have full choke on, it seems to run fine then. air screw is 3 turns out, pilot=42 main=158
the quad is totally stock

Airbox lid is on, but i want to take it off, baffle is in too
3. also im not sure if its a 04 or 05, anyway to tell??

Thanks everyone

Mobile Dyno
11-13-2005, 03:26 PM
I Think they make a resistor(sp) kit for the 04-05, the ones that had an electrical problem. I would find that kit. I would say most likley that is your problem. Find out where your needle is set and move the clip down a notch to richen it up(that will bring the needle up). Trust me, the needle plays a part in the low section of the carb. is the Airbox lid ON or OFF? There should be a sticker on the front of the frame saying the year?

jshtex
11-13-2005, 07:16 PM
If your electrical problems go away when you run with the lights on THEN you should get the resistor kit, and only then if you don't want to run with the lights on... Lots of folks just run with the lights on. Then again there are lots of people, like me, who have never ran the lights and have never had battery problems. Usually people run the lights to correct an intermitant missfire situation. The bike will actually run ruff with them off and clear up with them on. But turning them on will also cause it to charge the battery at a higher voltage. If you battery is bad though it might not take a charge no matter what else you do.

As for an easy way to tell an 05 vs an 04. If it has alloy shifter and brake pedals its probably an 05 the 04 had steel. There is also a difference in the levers on the handlebars i think but I don't know what it is.

rdr55
11-13-2005, 10:25 PM
yeah its an 05 le black n yellow. i thought the charging problem was only on the 04's??

anyways tomorrow im gonna get a 162, 165, main jets and a 45 pilot, and a yz450f needle and mess with those and see what happens.

any other ideas? Thanks for the help too everyone

pigeon-13
11-14-2005, 12:37 AM
your on the right track with the jetting then set the clip on the needle according to what sea level you live at. The bigger pilot is good for idle to midrange and the main is good for mid range. But put your fuel screw at 2 to 2 1/2 turn out and that will do it for you. The resistor kit is what you need for your battery.

jshtex
11-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Since there is absolutly no difference in running with the lights on and with the resistor kit, why not at least try running with the lights on for a while to see if that fixes the problem before investing the $45 in a kit?

Especially if you want to keep your lights anyway....

rdr55
11-27-2005, 07:03 PM
well, i put in a 45 pilot and a 165 main. its doing the same thing.

if ihave the choke on full or half it runs fine, but with the choke off, as soon i puch it it boggs bad

any other ideas???

ACEwrench
11-29-2005, 10:26 AM
the 05's have the same probs as the 04. the resistor kit is a option but only if you do multi hour hard rides... if you just trail ride turn on you lights, prob solved. another option is ricky stator, who make a stator that solves the problem completely....the prob being the stator overchargin the battery which in turn fails..blah blah blah..if you race the resistor kit works or you may try the stator fix

daddio
11-29-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by rdr55
well, i put in a 45 pilot and a 165 main. its doing the same thing.

if ihave the choke on full or half it runs fine, but with the choke off, as soon i puch it it boggs bad

any other ideas???

try turning the fuel screw out 1/2 to 1 turns.