PDA

View Full Version : NEED Help with 1987 Honda 250x

andyman
11-13-2005, 01:49 PM
All, I am new here...

I took my 1987 Honda 250x out for a ride on Friday and had some problems;

She was fine after a fill-up and oil check, and started in 1 kick.

After about a 10 minute ride or so, it stalled out and literally would not start up for 10 minutes of pure kicking....not even a grunt.

Once I got it started, It had alot of trouble with acceleration, jumpy and not full power and 'belchy', up and down with no constant flow...no the choke was not on either....

Anyway, LOTS of smoke too and extremely loud...not nearly like normal.

ANy thoughts? I hope maybe the carb is just blocked up or the air filter is bad...not a new head is needed....that would suck.

Thanks
's

ZeroLogic
11-13-2005, 02:59 PM
it sounds like a carb problem and/or a spark plug problem try putting a new spark plug in and cleaning out your carb what color was the smoke? did it seem to run hotter then it usally dose?

andyman
11-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Ok,

1) The smoke was Santa's Beard White, thick and trailing.

2) I couldnt tell if it ran hotter than normal, but all I can say is It was bad on acceleration, loud, and just 'off'.

I pray it's a carb problem....

What can I use to clean it out?

THanks

2muchquad
11-13-2005, 10:14 PM
tyour timing could be off,when was your timing chain replaced last?also i have seen burnt valves act this way as well.

bwamos
11-14-2005, 08:39 AM
1st thing.. check the easy stuff.
1 thing that will cause a lot of theose symptoms, is you're main jet could have fallen out into the carbs bowl.

Other than that, my second guess would be a loose timing chain that jumped a few teeth.

Also the white smoke is usually water. Since the 250x is air cooled.. did you go through any deep water crossings? Possibly gotten water in your crank case or even fuel?

andyman
11-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Nope, it was a dry dirt road save for a few loose puddles here and there...

I will check the carb tonite,

I have a buddy who can take alook at the drive chain,

I hope its' simple not crazy ****.....

DAN@RAYWILT
11-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Sounds like it jumped time. mine did the excact same thing. i replace my timing chain and cam sprocket and it fixed the problem.

Dan