PDA

View Full Version : Need Satisfaction

trx400ex5
11-13-2005, 01:43 PM
I just bought a 05 400ex... and yesterday I was driving around my house ,....up and down the driveway to warm it up (oil Change). And the lights for neutral and reverse stopped working. I turned off the quad and it wouldnt turn on..Now,. every time I put a new fuse in and turn the ignition the fuse pops..Im just wondering if anyone else here has the same problem..
I plan on taking it to the dealer (under warranty), if they dont fix it "F" them and "F" the extended warranty.
I'll rip it down myself and see where the short to ground is.
*note I did do minor welds to the subrame, but I disconected the battery and the quad worked fine after the welds were made.

yamablaster24
11-13-2005, 03:22 PM
It was welding to the frame. NEVER weld to the frame with any of the electronics on. ONly time is when its stripped down.

trx400ex5
11-15-2005, 01:26 AM
Im taking it into the dealer in two days. But I have a felling they will deny my claim no doubt to the fact that my quad looks like its been through hell and back...

Would anyone happen to have a pdf image or a jpg of the 05 400 ex wiring diagram (preferably)..but any will do beggars arnt choosers. I have the Clymers one but it is not detailed enough. I need the Honda Book one..

If you do please Email me at wsadelska@earthlink.net or post it up..thank you

11-15-2005, 08:56 AM
if it was the welding that did it, it depends on where you hooked your ground clamp. because if you hooked you ground to somthing where the electrical current of the welder would want to go through the electrical system then you would have troble.

when I weld on stuff I always make shure that I have the ground clamp attached so that the current doesent want to go throu any bearings also, becuase that can skerw up the bearing surfaces. but I just try to put the clamp basically as close to my working area as possible to try and eleminate the chance of the current going thou any wires or anything.

trx400ex5
11-15-2005, 01:02 PM
I was really carefull with the welding...I disconected the battery and welded the subrame.
The ground clamp was always on the subframe...There was never a path through anything electrical or any bearings.
The weird thind is that the quad rode fine for a while before the fuse poped. weird huh?

AtvMxRider
11-15-2005, 01:14 PM
You just have a wire touching somewhere. Just check over them and you will find it

11-15-2005, 03:29 PM
I also bet that it is just a wire chafeing up neer the steering area. I dont think that the welding would have harmed anything if you where careful.

AtvMxRider
11-15-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by mittimj
I also bet that it is just a wire chafeing up neer the steering area. I dont think that the welding would have harmed anything if you where careful.

The sparks from welding could have burned a wire

trx400ex5
11-15-2005, 04:19 PM
The possibilities that a spark could have burnt a wire are very high...Now that I think about it I was also using a grinding wheel on the subframe as well...
I am taking it to the dealer soon, hopefully the just wont tell me that they cant cover it..I will ask for a detailed reason why...That will save me time on diagnosis.
I will keep you guys posted on what happens. The ****ty thing is here in Chicago were getting snow tomorow..And as you all know snow on the ground makes our quads as street-legal as their going to get. :devil:

prepracing
11-15-2005, 06:15 PM
sorry to interupt....just wondering what your welding on the subframe on a new 05. a grab mar mount or something ?

trx400ex5
11-15-2005, 07:03 PM
I was building and still am building a scrape bar. I bent my stock subframe from scraping it so my buddy gave me his old one which was absolutely demolished so I rebuilt his (off a 04 400ex). I will post a pic of the subframe when this whole fiasko is done...

11-16-2005, 09:25 AM
were your head lights on when it blew a fuse cuz if it was then its the head light whires rubbing on a brake line bracke. 400ex's have that problum. 2 days ago i was driving my 400ex arund for the first time in a month and it was starting funny and after starting it like 10 times it blew a fuse so now i have to look at the whiring. i had my battery off to a while ago so i might have a mest up wire their.

trx400ex5
11-16-2005, 10:30 PM
My headlights wernt on...I droped the beast off at the dealer today..they told me it should be ready by friday....which means next tuesday..:mad:

I looked up the wiring in my buddies clymer, its not too bad. I had more intricate wiring on my last sound system.

This is gay...now that I dont have it to ride...Im feinding to ride more than ever...

trx400ex5
11-20-2005, 09:46 PM
I got my quad back today...get this bull****...

The dealer tells me it was just a glitch and that the quad runs fine now....They put a new fuse in and it ran fine....
U know what that means...a losse wire possibly.
thats bull**** I hope that wire dosent short out on a trail..

Im gonna tear down the quad and look for the short myself..

Atleast you learn something from every mistake...

Dont weld your frame while the electrical components are on it.

Thanks for your input guys...

11-21-2005, 08:55 PM
lol, snow= quads road legal. lol ha ha. careful thoes crown vic's go good in the snow.
lol