PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting The Rear Shock

JabberJaw
07-28-2001, 04:45 PM
Does anyone know how to set the 'Rebound & Compression Dampening' properly? I read what the cheap little owners manual said, but did not know how to figure rider weight, rough road, and all into the picture.

4punksdad
07-28-2001, 06:53 PM
if we are talking about a 400EX rear shock then the owners manual fully describes the procedure.
there is an adjustment screw on the top & the bottom of the rear shock, one for each function.

JabberJaw
07-28-2001, 07:02 PM
Yeah, the book explains how to turn the small dial, which way to turn it for what... I was kinda thinkin more in terms of an easy way to dial it in. I can turn it easy enough, but not sure if it changes alot.

4punksdad
07-29-2001, 07:00 AM
well............I can assure you that changing the preload & rebound settings does make a difference. Try this.......ride it directly before & after making an adjustment over the SAME terrain. Woops are the best place to test it. Everyones ride style & comfort level are different. Adjust it to the best setting for YOU. There is no right or wrong answer to your question.

Leo
07-29-2001, 07:06 AM
Experiment.. really the only way to get it down.

I played around with mine, wound up just about where it was stock (maybe 1 click more compression)..

Leo

Stevo
07-29-2001, 05:08 PM
I don't weigh much so I put mine on almost the softest setting and I barely ever bottom out the rear.