PDA

View Full Version : Truck tire wear problems.

MOFO
11-13-2005, 09:27 AM
I just put new tires on my truck. Its a 1999 Chevy Silverado Z71 (new body style). The tires I put on it are Bridgestone Dueler A/T revo's.

My old tires were cupping very bad...outside edge was wearing strange. Front part of tread was wearing more than the rear section of the same tread - only on the outer edge. The tire shop said it was cupping and I had them do an alignment. They said it was way out of wack.... it was my first alignment in 5 years/35,000 miles.

I have around 2,000 miles on my new tires and I'm starting to notice more cupping on them - not as bad as my old ones, but its still there.

Other than an alignment, what else could cause this??? Could my shock absorbers be causing this, they are the original shocks. I would assume if I had front end issues they would have found it during the alignment.

My truck has around 59,000 miles on it.

BTW, I do drive it hard and at high speeds on the highway.

Guy400
11-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Almost sounds like too much toe-in and too much positive camber.

MOFO
11-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
Almost sounds like too much toe-in and too much positive camber.

I'm half tempted to take it to another shop for a 2nd alignment. I'm not sure if I like the guys I took it to the first time. Seemed like a bunch of idiots, but they gave me a damn good deal on the tires.

Quad18star
11-13-2005, 09:39 AM
Are the tires rated for the speeds you're driving at on the highways ??

I've seen a couple tires that have been used for conditions and speeds other than what they were rated for , and they got pretty weird wearing done to them .

Guy400
11-13-2005, 09:39 AM
I'm still trying to figure out the unusual wear pattern. If you push down on the bumper of the truck real hard several times and then let it go how many times does the truck continue to bounce until it stabilizes? Should only do it twice at the most on good shocks. Bad shocks will show up as cupping on the tires. The part that has me confused is how the front edge of the individual tread is wearing more than the back side.

MOFO
11-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
I'm still trying to figure out the unusual wear pattern. If you push down on the bumper of the truck real hard several times and then let it go how many times does the truck continue to bounce until it stabilizes? Should only do it twice at the most on good shocks. Bad shocks will show up as cupping on the tires. The part that has me confused is how the front edge of the individual tread is wearing more than the back side.

Its hard to describe the wear, but after searching the internet for pictures, its cupping. I did that last night and my truck bounces a couple/few times...nothing horrible IMO.

How long are these shocks good for? The little bit of off-roading I've done it it, its wide open usually, so I suppose they could be bad.

EDIT: Now that I've seen other sites, it might not be cupping, more of "feathering" on the outer edge - caused by bad alignment.

I guess I'll just find another alignment shop and have them look at it.

MOFO
11-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Are the tires rated for the speeds you're driving at on the highways ??

I've seen a couple tires that have been used for conditions and speeds other than what they were rated for , and they got pretty weird wearing done to them .

Tires are rated for the top speed of my truck (electronic speed limiter). I usually drive around 80 and rarely see 85+.

Woodsrider
11-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Replace the front and rear shocks and then re-align it. It is also worth noting that on a 4WD truck, you should rotate the tires twice as frequently as on a 2WD, especialy if you have heavy duty springs in the rear.
If the tires are siped, you will also notice more feathering on the leading edge of the tread on the rear tires. Rotating the tires front to rear every 7500 to 10,000 miles will keep them wearing evenly and minimze cupping.

MOFO
11-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Woodsrider
Replace the front and rear shocks and then re-align it. It is also worth noting that on a 4WD truck, you should rotate the tires twice as frequently as on a 2WD, especialy if you have heavy duty springs in the rear.
If the tires are siped, you will also notice more feathering on the leading edge of the tread on the rear tires. Rotating the tires front to rear every 7500 to 10,000 miles will keep them wearing evenly and minimze cupping.

Thanks! Thats probably what I'll do. I'm sure its due for shocks...

Your right, my tread has alot of "siping" - I'll make sure I rotate them better than my last tires. :cool:

Woodsrider
11-13-2005, 01:46 PM
One more thing, be carefull choosing the shocks. Dont do what I did and buy too stiff of shocks for your everyday use. As this will have a negative effect on the problem you're trying to correct, by causing the rear axle to hop, rather than absorb the rough surface with out the tire leaving the road surface. Know what I mean?

MOFO
11-13-2005, 02:01 PM
One more thing, be carefull choosing the shocks. Dont do what I did and buy too stiff of shocks for your everyday use. As this will have a negative effect on the problem you're trying to correct, by causing the rear axle to hop, rather than absorb the rough surface with out the tire leaving the road surface. Know what I mean?

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. I'm looking at a set of Bilstein shocks (non HD).

Warrioreater400ex
11-13-2005, 02:10 PM
High tread voids will cause one edge of the lug to wear quicker than the other... i would just ge ta good alignment and rotate your tires regularly. as far as shocks go you dont have to drop big bucks on bilsteins or something, a mid grade schock will do you fine for driving on the road, and unless you get some sort of high pressure shock it really should have too much of an affect on you ride softness, because the spring rate is what mainly determines that (torsion bars in front, leafs in rear).

Woodsrider
11-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Warrioreater400ex
High tread voids will cause one edge of the lug to wear quicker than the other... i would just ge ta good alignment and rotate your tires regularly. as far as shocks go you dont have to drop big bucks on bilsteins or something, a mid grade schock will do you fine for driving on the road, and unless you get some sort of high pressure shock it really should have too much of an affect on you ride softness, because the spring rate is what mainly determines that (torsion bars in front, leafs in rear).

These are all good points. But if you have heavy duty springs in the rear(like I do), then add a stiff shock it will just compound the problem.
Do the bridgstones have that big of tread voids(agressive tread pattern)? Im not familiar with that tire.

Here is a picture of the tires I have on my truck

Woodsrider
11-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Here is the tire MOFO is running, it doesnt look like there are that big of voids in the tread. If its cupping all the way across the tire, and not just on the outter(or inner) edges id say its the shocks not alignment or aggresive lug pattern.

MOFO
11-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Here is the tire MOFO is running, it doesnt look like there are that big of voids in the tread. If its cupping all the way across the tire, and not just on the outter(or inner) edges id say its the shocks not alignment or aggresive lug pattern.

Yep, those are it...and its not across the entire tread/tire - just the outter edge on the first row of tread.

clutt225
11-13-2005, 05:02 PM
I reacently had the same type of wear on a set of durango m/t, like bf goodrich m/t only cheaper. I had the front checked twice and they said it was not the allignment but would not replace the tires. They said it must be the struts. So I replace the struts with fabtech coil overs in the front and fabtech gas shocks in the rear and replaced the mud tires with bf goodrich a/t tires. The problem seems to be fixed.

Just my experience. good luck hope you don't have to spend as much as I did to fix the problem.

1998 toyota tacoma

MOFO
11-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by clutt225
I reacently had the same type of wear on a set of durango m/t, like bf goodrich m/t only cheaper. I had the front checked twice and they said it was not the allignment but would not replace the tires. They said it must be the struts. So I replace the struts with fabtech coil overs in the front and fabtech gas shocks in the rear and replaced the mud tires with bf goodrich a/t tires. The problem seems to be fixed.

Just my experience. good luck hope you don't have to spend as much as I did to fix the problem.

1998 toyota tacoma

Thanks... thats why I'm asking first. I already dumped a good bit of change on these tires... and I'd hate to do it again. :cool:

sam the brave
11-13-2005, 06:01 PM
this might help
its for big trucks but might help you out a bit
http://www.kaltire.com/commercial/medium_truck_tires/cupping.php