PDA

View Full Version : 03 400ex oil change

HondaEXrider22
11-12-2005, 07:23 PM
OK I have some questions on my 03 honda 400ex for its oil change. I havent done it yet because the dealer the ones before.

1. WHere is the oil filter and what tools are need to get it out.
2. Are OEM oil filter reusable(can i clean it or somethign)
3. WHat brand do you suggest.

s.ga.rider
11-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Dont know about the first question but I would get a new filter. The only reusable filters are around $100 I believe. On my 300ex and my streetbikes I get my filters at autozone. They carry stp motorcycle filters and have cross references for atvs.

luvmyex
11-12-2005, 07:38 PM
I use valoline atv or motorcycle oil. get it at autozone. You can get your filter there too. Get a STP filter #SMO 15 You will need a 14mm a 12mm and a 8mm socket.14mm for the oil tank. (Bottom) 12mm for the engine case.Under the front sprocket And the 8mm for the oil filter which is in the brake side of the engine where the round cover is with 2 bolts in it. Be very careful with the bolts on the filter cover and oil tank. You can strip em if you not careful. You will need just over 2 quarts of oil to do this. Be sure to put the filter in the right way too. And almost 2 quarts of oil then start it fo r30 seconds or so to mover the oil into the motor. then add the rest of the 2nd qt. Check it and add more if needed.

HondaEXrider22
11-13-2005, 08:40 AM
OK Thanks for the help, its prolly getting an oil change topday.