PDA

View Full Version : thinking of taking on a LT250R project

Jake250ex
11-12-2005, 01:36 PM
seeing all of the project bikes on here gives me 2 feeling - excitedness and jealousy :blah:

they usually look beat and are picked up for next to nothing and with some $ and TLC they are made into customized bikes just like the owners wanted.

so the story goes, my cousin bring over this ragged 1985 LT250R and wants me to rebuild the motor so he can have something to ride. I tell him the bottom end is bad too and he lost interest. And being family, he was in no hurry to come back and get his peice-o-junk that we were storing. It lays around forever and I'm convinced he'll give it to me if I ask him. I have been thinking about it for a while now and the more I think about it the more excited I am to get a start on it.

however there are some definite drawbacks. the frame is broken and has been bubble gum welded back together in quite a few places. Also, my everyday quads are needing some work too. I just blew up my shee and my 300ex needs maiteneced bad.

and the big one -- I'm flat broke right now. If I had some money, I wouldnt be on here telling you about it I'd be out working on it :( This project all depends on if I get a job here soon that I just applied for.

I am worried I will start getting into it and realize its gonna take more money and time than I have. However, if I do get it finished I'm pretty sure it'll be my own personal dream quad. I know a LT250R isn't the most desirable bike to start with but they do have some potential.

I have a rough mods list propsed so far. I am wanting CT to do my motor (porting, rebuilding) Burgard susp parts (a arms, wheels, swingarm) and works shocks. I am thinking of a MX scheme with silver plastics, a blue frame and black wheels. I have everything envisioned of just how I want it to be, now if I could just get some luck on my side...

LTandRaptorider
11-12-2005, 02:21 PM
I found the LT to be a very desirable quad to build up. All in what you want I guess. I have a 1992 LT that was mostly stock when I purchased it. Since then I completely worked it, only thing stock is the frame... And that will change over the winter! It has...
LRD worked cylinder and adjustable pipe.
Pro Design CoolHead.
Wiseco crank and rod.
Hinson clutch basket.
Keihin 38mm Airstryker PWK carb.
Boyesen Rad valve.
Burgard plus 2 a-arms.
Works Pro-Series triple rate front shocks.
Works rear shock.
Lonestar swingarm and carrier.
RPM plus 2-plus 4 axle.
Stainless braided brake lines front and rear.
Lonestar steering stem.
Renthal handle bars. Maier plastics.

Good luck on your project, have fun! Don't forget to post pics of it! Here's mine..

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid127/p00461100c5b83f1bf7632e08e8e65f3a/f7e803ba.jpg

Jake250ex
11-12-2005, 03:15 PM
that things a bueaty!

I used to have a 92 but like most other LT's it was rough around the edges and unreliable. But, it was wicked fast :eek2: . Faster that my banshee! My line of thinking is that if I build it to all my own specs and everything is new and fresh it should be as reliable as any new quad. However, I really wish it didn't have that "full floater" rear end... :rolleyes: what a joke! It'll be hard to be taken seriously with that.

how do you like your works - burgard set up? I wish I could afford Elkas but I'll honestly be doing good to get works.

LTandRaptorider
11-12-2005, 04:14 PM

The Works shocks front and rear cost about $1700. I have been quite happy with them. Only problem with the Burgard a-arms was the threads for the tie rods on one side were messed up. I went with ASR heim joint tie rods, so I didn't worry about it.

Yeah, the full-floater swingarm... :rolleyes: I do have a brand-new Lonestar swingarm and carrier I plan on selling, but it is for years 87-90. About the only thing I found to be unreliable on my LT was the water pump seals... And had many probs with the frame, of course. Hitting trees doesn't help, though! :p

Yep, the LT is fast! Especially after having the work done on it that I had. Faster than a Banshee... Last year I got to drag a 450R with a pipe, beat him twice by one quad length. I like it, but it is much more tiring to ride than a 4-stroke.

ThumPIN_450R
11-12-2005, 05:02 PM
I used to have an LT and the only thing on it that was any good was the motor. The front end geometery handled terrible and that was with my lonestar arms and works pro series shocks. Personnaly I would say save the money and buy a used 400EX 450R or kawi/zuk 400

Jake250ex
11-12-2005, 05:30 PM
I dont have the money to buy a new quad. Sure, I could do cheap monthly payments, end up paying alot more and paying on it until I'm 30! I'll be doing well to get this one going. Honestly, I would rather have a built LT than a 400 anyway. Much quicker, cheaper and lighter. The looks, sounds and the adrenaline rush of the powerband is also an amazing experience.

Anyway, I cant wait to see the looks on people's faces when I pass then on a 20 year old quad :blah:

Either way, if I do end up doing this that means I will have 3 quads to myself. I wont be missing out! my 300ex has turned into my everyday playbike, the shee is set up for xc and my mx toy can be the LT. They all have decent set ups, nothing fullblown but I think I'm doing quite well :cool:

LTandRaptorider
11-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by ThumPIN_450R
I used to have an LT and the only thing on it that was any good was the motor. The front end geometery handled terrible and that was with my lonestar arms and works pro series shocks. Personnaly I would say save the money and buy a used 400EX 450R or kawi/zuk 400

Just curious... I've had my LT for about 7 years now. How does the front-end geometry handle terribly? Admittedly without the rake on the front chassis, it may not handle as well on jumps... although I still have no probs. But for flat track or woods riding, I think it handles terrific. 400EX or Kawi/Zuki over an LT? Nope... jmo of course... ;)

ThumPIN_450R
11-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Just curious... I've had my LT for about 7 years now. How does the front-end geometry handle terribly? Admittedly without the rake on the front chassis, it may not handle as well on jumps... although I still have no probs. But for flat track or woods riding, I think it handles terrific. 400EX or Kawi/Zuki over an LT? Nope... jmo of course... ;)

Mine pushed like a dump truck and it's because of how far apart the lower a-arm mounts are if you look at the LT and compare it too something a 250R, 450R or YFZ you will notice that the a-arms are much closer together making it handle much more aggressivly. Then compare those to something like a Laeger after market frame and they are even that much closer. Like I said I had a LT fully modded with a LRD 265 and the motor did run great but if you go up against even a decent rider on a stock kawi/zuk you will get beaten (in MX that is a drag race or FT may be closer). The 2 stroke normally "feels" faster becuase of the hit and the sudden rush of power but in most cases it's not. This is just my opinion but if you want to build the LT project go ahead and do it but when I looked back on mine I would have been money ahead and riding a faster better handling machine if I would have gotten a LTZ/KFX 400 or even a 400EX at the time.

RIDER11X
12-04-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider

Oh I see the results of that opinion alright................

On my mantle, you know the trophy from Yukon that my 400ex stole away from your LT250r. :devil: Had to mess with ya a bit buddy!;)