PDA

View Full Version : Ryan bags his 1st buck!

Pappy
11-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Youth day was today, and i almost plum forgot it. Cody and I were gearing up last night when Ryan (my youngest son) said he was now 7 years old and it was time for him to start hunting!

So, we geared him up and off we went this morning.

Cody was in his stand, and Ryan and I sat in a blowdown (same place cody got his first buck) and at 8 am this broken rack 3 point came in! Ryan nailed him!

Killa250ex
11-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Give Him a Pat on the back for me :macho

What kind of gun did he use?

jwick07
11-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Did he gut him too?? But congrats to you both I still remember how excited my dad was when I got my first deer too, how ever its rack was much smaller just two LONG LONG spikes when I saw it through the scoope I just thought it was a huge doe. Cracked it with the 243. What did ryan use.

Pappy
11-12-2005, 10:30 AM
I thought I was going to have to tie him to a tree he was so excited after the shot.

His .243 did a clean job, and shot placement was perfect. Not bad for a 7 year old and his first time ever deer hunting!

Pappy
11-12-2005, 10:34 AM
haha, no, i did the chore of cleaning him. ryan did help hold a leg:p

Cody is still on stand and should be back at dark if he doesnt get one before then.

MOFO
11-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Congrats Ryan!

Nice choice on the .243. Thats my deer rifle as well. :cool:

Pappy
11-12-2005, 10:51 AM
I couldnt have planned it any better. At daylight, we slipped into an area where I have killed some serious bucks in the past. I saw 2 feeding on oaks but getting a shot in the dim light would be very hard so we slipped over the lip of a ridge so we did not spook the deer. Once we were at the spot, I slowly cleared the leaves away so we wouldnt make noise when getting ready fr a shot. (lessons learned from teaching cody to hunt)

We had no sooner sat down when two squirells decided to chase each other around so that kept ryan's attention focused. After about 30 minutes, I looked to my right and spotted a deer feeding towards us. Before I told Ryan, I put down the bipod and rested his gun on the fallen tree we were using as a blind. (another lesson learned from cody's hunts:p )

After getting the gun in position, Ryan kind of figured something was up and spotted the deer before I could tell him. the buck turned broadside and started feeding in front of us. the buck stopped and I whispered that when he thought he had a shot to take it.

The rifle cracked and my heart sunk:( The buck snapped its head up by remained perfectly still. Ryan slowly chambered another round as I told him he had missed. I just knew the buck would bolt but he didn't! He took 5 or 6 steps and stopped behind some brush. Ryan cocked his head and told me that when he stepped out he was going to dump him:eek:

Well, thats what happened:cool: The second shot was picture perfect and the buck kicked and ran to the edge of a pine thicket and then disappeared. He did not go 60 yards and we found him.

Was a great morning, now I have my fingers crossed Cody can pull out one of the big one's on the farm today!

jwick07
11-12-2005, 11:04 AM
gotta love the confidence in his did he say "dump him" thats great.

I hope to get the chance to make him to hunt with my old man this year but with the new job and such doesn't look to hopeful:ermm:

TheFontMaster
11-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Thats great that he got a deer on his first hunt.

Ryan cocked his head and told me that when he stepped out he was going to dump him

Haha thats just too funny. Your kids seem to have quite the personalitys.

cletusEX
11-12-2005, 12:10 PM
That's awesome! Give hime a big congratulations from me.

Pappy
11-12-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster

Your kids seem to have quite the personalitys.

lol...once i got the deer out of the pine thicket, his grandfather asked him..."So ryan, what do you think?"

Ryan replied without missing a beat...."I think i'm ready to kill another one" LMAO!

400exrules
11-12-2005, 12:47 PM
pretty cool!
let us know if Cody gets anything

is this on your land/farm or what?

i wish i had a place around here to deer hunt

Hondadudeehhhh
11-12-2005, 02:37 PM
im 16 and i still havent gotten a deer! Got a shot at one last year but i suppose i go ttoo excited and missed

Your kids are lucky they are aloud to start gun hunting at 7. In michigan you cant gun hunt until you are 14 :scary:

watts16
11-12-2005, 02:48 PM
good job

i saw a big 8 or 10pt on the trail today

Pappy
11-12-2005, 03:43 PM
no word from cody yet, it just got dark

cody was the youngest person to pass the hunter safety course, and they required he recieve no help during the written or practical tests. age 6:D

this is a farm that ive hunted for years, the farmer absolutley loves my boys and they have free run of a few hundred acres with some fine deer on it:cool:

SGA
11-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Look at that smile!
Good job Ryan!

He did you proud Kenny:)

Pappy
11-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by SGA

He did you proud Kenny:)

i think i was most proud last night, and then when we arrived home.

when i was teaching cody to hunt, i used a method my dad used on me to teach shot placement. a deer hunting magazine and a magic marker, as you flip thru the magazine, the soon to be hunter markers with a single dot where he would place his shot. well, last night cody taught ryan this by the same method. :p it was a "dad" moment.

then, after we returned home, and the deer was skun out and pictures taken, ryan asked if he could wipe down his gun. "proud dad moment #2":D

Titanium
11-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Congrats Ryan. Looks like a good first buck:D

Mxjunkie
11-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Heck yeah lilman! lol tell him I want some of the jerkey :devil:

wvspeedfreak
11-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Holy heck,I completely forgot about the youth hunt day.Congratulations Ryan!

exboy
11-12-2005, 08:34 PM
im glad somebody saw somethin on today. i sat for 4 hours and saw absolutely nothin.:mad: nice buck though i got my first last year its really exiting.

QuadJunkies
11-12-2005, 08:44 PM
GOOD JOB!!!

Kilabanshee
11-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Little man is a cold blooded killer!! I think you should have put a cigg in the deers mouth. Would have made for a better picture.:p

JOEX
11-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
i think i was most proud last night, and then when we arrived home.

when i was teaching cody to hunt, i used a method my dad used on me to teach shot placement. a deer hunting magazine and a magic marker, as you flip thru the magazine, the soon to be hunter markers with a single dot where he would place his shot. well, last night cody taught ryan this by the same method. :p it was a "dad" moment.

then, after we returned home, and the deer was skun out and pictures taken, ryan asked if he could wipe down his gun. "proud dad moment #2":D
You've got one heck of a family Kenny:)

Congrats to Ryan on the kill:)

Pappy
11-13-2005, 03:38 PM
yummmmm...deer chili tonight:devil:

Pappy
11-13-2005, 03:49 PM
kind of hard to believe it was 5 years ago to the day that cody killed his first deer:)

Pappy
11-13-2005, 03:51 PM
and a year later cody finally had a run in with a buck!

Punk'd
11-13-2005, 07:34 PM
Congrats on the buck, but this year I didnt see ANY bucks at all. We have a rule (cant shoot unless 4 points on 1 side.)

11-13-2005, 08:02 PM
nice...he is hooked forever now....i didn't get my 1st buk until i was 12...it was a little spike...it was my first deer on the last day of buck season, of course PA doesn't allow anyone younger than 12 to hunt, and the have to have a hunter's safety course before a license can be bought for them

Rico
11-14-2005, 07:09 AM
Good job dude.

baja_racer
11-14-2005, 11:11 AM
What state allows a kid that young to shoot a deer?? Don't misunderstand the question.....I am just curious.

Pappy
11-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by baja_racer
What state allows a kid that young to shot a deer?? Don't misunderstand the question.....I am just curious.

alot of states allow children to hunt with and in some cases without a liscence. maryland is one of those states.

Pappy
11-15-2005, 05:57 PM
anyone up for some smoked deer jerky:D

Admin
11-15-2005, 06:01 PM
First Dibs!!! :)

Mxjunkie
11-15-2005, 06:01 PM
Your evil, I want jerkey :(

QuadJunkies
11-15-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Admin
First Dibs!!! :) me too!!!!!!! Its been YEEEAARS since I had GOOD Jerkey!

TDM713
11-17-2005, 05:31 PM
just got my first ever Buck with a bow, was in full rut, shot it was a Mathews switchback, couldnt be happier!