PDA

View Full Version : 250r transmission any know this stuff

1shooter
11-11-2005, 09:34 PM
will a countershaft on a 86 be the same as the other years i mean to say can i use a 87 88 89 countershaft in my 86? or are they different due to one reason or another?

QuadRacer041
11-12-2005, 04:49 AM
im pretty sure they are differnt.the splines on the shaft are timed differnt.

TheFontMaster
11-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Check http://www.macdizzy.com/ They have diagrams with the parts numbers for all the parts of the motor for every year, and what parts hade different parts number.

beerock
11-12-2005, 12:58 PM
you can use any year countershaft on any year motor. I never tried using a 87-89 countershaft with a 86 main shaft. I think it will work.

best thing to do is put the tranny in, and all shifting mechanisms slip the case over the transmission and put the drum on the shifter, spin the tranny(put a sprocket on ) in the same rotation and shift through all the gears make sure the cases are mated together when you try this, you do this to make sure theres no binding when the cases are mated together and that it shifts through all the gears properly.

actually to add to this, I read lous thread again, i think he said that because him and I talked on the phone when i was tryaing to make a hybrid tranny work 88 counter and main shafts with 86 5th and 6th.

the TIMING is different on the GEARS for 5th and 6th on the main and counter shaft, so if you use a 87-89 counter shaft you will have to replace 5th and 6th with 86 counter shaft gears OR replace the main shaft with 87-89 5th and 6th. if you dont get 5th and 6th matched then the tranny will bind because the gears are timed different.