PDA

View Full Version : Protein drinks?

fasterblaster09
11-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Well,I started working out about a week ago,like actually at the gym and such.And was walking around GNC (store with protein crap) and was lost,and idnt know what I was looking for.I weigh about 157,about 5'8.So I have weight to build on,so I dont need additional weight.But what I was wodnering is what would be soemthing good for me to take?? Like to build faster,not looking for steroids or nothing though lol.
thanks neil

whiteflash
11-11-2005, 09:00 PM
i used GNC whey and mega whey protein for awhile, seemed to work pretty good.

Hondadudeehhhh
11-11-2005, 09:02 PM
unless you plan on working out lamost everyday dont take protein shakes. if you dont work out religously you will get b*tch tits and those are no good. You also have a better chance of kidney stones. i dont recomend protein shakes

Atreyu
11-11-2005, 09:02 PM
I would get any 100% Whey protein. If your not looking to get too much bigger I would drink two a day with two scoops in each. You could also try megawhey but it tastes like crap IMO. If your looking to get stronger and bigger, try a light creatine. When I started lifting I weighed 130 and after three months I weighed 170 from using protein alone. After I used creatine I bumped my bench from 155lbs to 275lbs. And for those who think creatine can be compared to a steriod, its not even close and is harmless.

trx400exxracer
11-11-2005, 09:04 PM
don't take creatine unless you are very serios it will hurt you if you take it and stop lifting

the best thing to take is protien

look for 100% whey protien
that is what you need

you will start seeng good results in about a month by working out about 4 days a week

take about 2 scoops of it and either put in milk or make a smoothie with it, it tatse nasty when you drink it with strait water
you should take it right after you get through working out

strawbery is the best flavor but none of them are good

Hondadudeehhhh
11-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Atreyu
And for those who think creatine can be compared to a steriod, its not even close and is harmless.

the only problem i see with creatines is we havent seen the long term effects. I know for a fact if you are an athlete and you have been taking creatine for 2+ years you will get the worst cramps of your life during excersize. Ive seen it and it doesnt look fun.

trx400exxracer
11-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Atreyu
I would get any 100% Whey protein. If your not looking to get too much bigger I would drink two a day with two scoops in each. You could also try megawhey but it tastes like crap IMO. If your looking to get stronger and bigger, try a light creatine. When I started lifting I weighed 130 and after three months I weighed 170 from using protein alone. After I used creatine I bumped my bench from 155lbs to 275lbs. And for those who think creatine can be compared to a steriod, its not even close and is harmless.

sorry me and you must have been typing at the same time didn't want you to think I was a copy cat

fasterblaster09
11-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Well I will be working out about 3 or 4 days a week.About 2 hours each of those days.

So 100% whey protein? I dotn want girl boobs,and and any "other" side effects of steroids,I want anything harmless.

Atreyu
11-11-2005, 09:10 PM
With creatine I've noticed if you dont drink around a gallon of water a day you get real bad cramps when running or lifting. I used to get it a lot when I didnt hydrate enough.

And fasterblaster, you wont get b!tch tits from protein unless your like funneling it every five minutes. Most of the protein is excess and gets flushed out anyway if your drinking enough water.

Hondadudeehhhh
11-11-2005, 09:11 PM
im assuming you are a freshman, which would make you about 14. If i were you the only thing i would go near is protein shakes if that.

My advice to you is to just work, out and take vitemens. You odnt need protein shakes yet. Wait until you get in a solid work out schedule so you are sure you will be working out at least 3 days a week every week. I've seen kids get chick tits from shakes and creatine, its pretty funny when you see a guy's whos' boobs are bigger than your girlfriends' :p

Atreyu:most people dont drikn enough water as it is. I drink at least a galloon every day. You are right about the protein, if you drink a lot of water you should be okay for the most part.

fasterblaster09
11-11-2005, 09:15 PM
yes im a freshmen,and 15.I KNOW I will workout,I just spent 200+ on a membership so I know i will workout at least 3 days a week.I dont want to notice ANY side effects at all.Is whey 100% a protein shake?

trx400exxracer
11-11-2005, 09:16 PM
It would also help if you got a trainer I didn't know what i needed to work out on my body so I got a trainer and he helped me a bunch

I started to go to the gym and got a trainer in my late 7th grade year I reached 135lbs on the bench maing out

trx400exxracer
11-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
yes im a freshmen,and 15.I KNOW I will workout,I just spent 200+ on a membership so I know i will workout at least 3 days a week.I dont want to notice ANY side effects at all.Is whey 100% a protein shake?

it is powder that you supposed to mix with water but is nasty so I mix mine with milk or a milkshake and drink water afterwards

fasterblaster09
11-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Is there any certain kind,like the exact name? Sorry for all the questions.Thanks alot

trx400exxracer
11-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
Is there any certain kind,like the exact name? Sorry for all the questions.Thanks alot

protien is what I am talking about but the brand name is 100% whey protien

fasterblaster09
11-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Ok thanks everyone..100% whey protein it is.

whiteflash
11-12-2005, 12:45 AM
to make the protein taste better add:

2 yogurts
couple yogurt cups full of juice
some frozen berries
1-3 scoops of powder (vanilla is probably best)

Not only does it taste better, but you get some more protein out of it. With the juice you will need to experiment on how much you need cause it depends on how many scoops of protein you use.

Guy400
11-12-2005, 06:10 AM
I really don't want to get on my soapbox but this thread really strikes a nerve. This kid is 14 years old and his body has only started to mature and people are advising protein shakes and/or creatine. It is a scientifically known fact that excessive protein is damaging to kidneys and no amount of water flushes it away. While it does help some it doesn't completely negate the bad effects of too much protein. Creatine is relatively new to the market and there is no long term testing results. Hell, anabolic steroids looked safe within the first 10 years of their introduction. Also, this kid just started lifting. Who knows how hard he lifts during each session and for how long he's really going to stick to it. If he starts taking protein drinks and/or creatine and his workout schedule doesn't jive he's just going to turn into some chubby kid with no definition.

Fasterblaster, you're 14 which means your body heals much quicker than say someone who is 29. All you have to do right now is eat right and exercise religiously and you will see impressive gains. If you're still at this hard when you're 17 - 18 than you may want to look at protein shakes, etc. once you've made exercise a lifestyle and not just some temporary thing you're into. There are plenty of natural foods that are high in protein but are not excessive. I eat a lot of chicken and 1% cottage cheese. I eat about 1 cup of cottage cheese a day which equates to 2g of fat and 26g of protein. In the last month my bench (workout weight, I haven't maxed yet) has gone up 30lbs.

Here's what a simple good diet and exercise did for my brother and I in high school/college. I weighed 146lbs. and was benching 235lb. My brother was 168lbs. and was benching 275lbs.

The problem with these shakes and creatine is they become a crutch for people not disciplined enought to work harder. My cousin has been on creatine for about 5 years now. Granted, he benches 365lbs. but whenver he gets into one of those ruts for a couple of weeks where it seems you aren't making any improvement he ups his creatine dose and then scales it back once he's made whatever improvement he desires.

I better step down, I could go on forever.

Atreyu
11-12-2005, 08:20 AM
If he had just started lifting, and he is training hard, this will be the biggest time of growth for him. The first stage is called hypertrophy where his muscles will heal and grow the fastest. If he eats, drinks excessive water, sleeps properly, and drinks protein he will see significant gains withing the first two months. At 15, he should not be drinking as much protein as a 18 or 19 year old.

BTW protein makes your farts smell like sulfur..:chinese:

MR.BIG
11-12-2005, 09:49 AM
If I were you I would work out for a couple months first before you take anything.
If you are in fact 14 just be careful what you take. I think nitro-tech would be a good choice for. Just take one shake a day no more. And for the people who said protein shakes give you ***** tits is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. So pick up a muscle mag and read what they say.

popo
11-12-2005, 10:10 AM
If you have any intentions ever racing XC or MX. Stay away from Creatine & or supplement protein.

Creatine will give you arm pump faster than anything.

nosliw
11-12-2005, 10:13 AM
:rolleyes:

www.bodybuilding.com

not sure why you're taking advice from these guys in the first place.

fasterblaster09
11-12-2005, 12:21 PM
I think I'll just stick to raw eggs.I've been working out for about a year,just like situps and stuff.But I just started at the gym,but I'll just eat my raw eggs like I beed doing.
Also,I workout about 2-3 hours a day,non stop.Is this to much?? I workout every other days so.Thanks neil