View Full Version : 250R axle and bearing carrier problems???

stever250r
11-11-2005, 08:51 PM
Heres the problem. When I installed my axle in my carrier and swingarm I have side to side play. I have looked at the diagrams and the manual and I have all of the items listed.

I am using a LSR antifade nut and a magnum dual row bearing carrier. I have a Houser swingarm 88 style. The magnu bearing carrier has a sticker on it that says 250R-86.

Is there a difference between the 86-88 style carriers that would cause this problem??

There is basically a small gap between the brake stay and the retaing ring that is allowing the play. Also a gap in between the LSR locknut and the retaing ring on the axle? Im lost.

Can anyone tell me what Im doing wrong.

Les Davis
11-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Steve, this might be a long shot but I had a similar problem and found out the bearings in the carrier were the wrong size thus creating an 1/8"-1/4" gap when everything was put back together. I had a 250r/400ex style carrier with a YFZaxle. Once the bearing were changed, everything worked fine. Good Luck

Rich250RRacer
11-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by stever250r
Heres the problem. When I installed my axle in my carrier and swingarm I have side to side play. I have looked at the diagrams and the manual and I have all of the items listed.

I am using a LSR antifade nut and a magnum dual row bearing carrier. I have a Houser swingarm 88 style. The magnu bearing carrier has a sticker on it that says 250R-86.

Is there a difference between the 86-88 style carriers that would cause this problem??

There is basically a small gap between the brake stay and the retaing ring that is allowing the play. Also a gap in between the LSR locknut and the retaing ring on the axle? Im lost.

Can anyone tell me what Im doing wrong.

I had to the same problem with the gap between the snap ring and the brake stay when I used an off brand twin row carrier. Thinking it would do no harm, I made the mistake of letting it go, which actually let the caliper twist on the front slide pin and wore the caliper out. This is what led me to do my 450R rear brake conversion. It sounds like the groove for the snap ring was cut too close to the end of your carrier. That was the problem with mine.

QuadRacer041
11-12-2005, 04:43 AM
yea, sounds like the carrier is defective.
by the way all 86-89R carriers and 400ex carriers are the same.

stever250r
11-12-2005, 10:50 AM
OK just to make sure Im not missing something.

Is there anything that goes in between the brake stay and the swingarm?

Also the bushing for the brake stay...... I have the bushing but I have a retaing clip that holds it on.

My 88 style swingarm does not have a groove on the pin for the clip. The diagram for the 88 model swingarm shows a rubber boot that goes on the pin before the bushing. Could this be my problem? If so what holds the brake stay bushing on the swingarm pin on the 88 model. The diagram does not show a retaining ring??

beerock
11-12-2005, 01:11 PM
i dont understand how you have gap if you have a antifade hub? just put the clip on the axle and tighten the antifade hub so theres no play?:confused:(when you tighten a antifade hub you actually back it off until it hits the retaining clip on the axle, that is what tightens tha axle

the brake gap problem does sound like they machined the carrier to much, what kind of brake holder are you using? maybe you should call up magnum and ask them if you have to use there brake holder with it

stever250r
11-12-2005, 05:09 PM
You are correct beerock. The play I have is not actually in the axle itself. It is in the carrier. The carrier will move back and forth about 1/8 to 1/4 " inside the swingarm because there is that much of a gap between the brake stay and the retaining ring.

I never thought about having to use magnums brake stay.
COuld I jsut fabricate a shim to go behind the brake stay?

THe problem with that is ... it will not leave me enough room to secure the bushing on the swingarm pin for the brake stay.

Any more solutions??

beerock
11-12-2005, 05:33 PM
You are correct beerock. The play I have is not actually in the axle itself. It is in the carrier. The carrier will move back and forth about 1/8 to 1/4 " inside the swingarm because there is that much of a gap between the brake stay and the retaining ring.

THe problem with that is ... it will not leave me enough room to secure the bushing on the swingarm pin for the brake stay.

Any more solutions??

you know the c clip that holds the brake holder in place? ut that butt up against the swingarm and make a shim to hold it there. im sure you could cut a piece of an aluminum collar to go in between the brake holder and c clip. the brake holder has to go butt up agaiunst the swinger because thats how it is at the factory, if you shim it the other way you will have brake alignment problems

stever250r
11-13-2005, 06:55 AM
After looking at the fiche again I noticed that I do not have the o-rings that are installed between the carrier and the swingarm housing on the left side and the brake stay and the swingarm on the right side.

Would these two 0-rings take away the small gap that I have between the brake stay and the retaining ring on the carrier and eliminate the side to side movement of the carrier that I am having?

I would think this is more than likely my problem. Can anyone tell me for sure?

Meat
11-13-2005, 09:32 AM
you augtha post some pictures.... I hear your problem, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

Rich250RRacer
11-13-2005, 09:51 AM
After looking at the fiche again I noticed that I do not have the o-rings that are installed between the carrier and the swingarm housing on the left side and the brake stay and the swingarm on the right side.

Would these two 0-rings take away the small gap that I have between the brake stay and the retaining ring on the carrier and eliminate the side to side movement of the carrier that I am having?

I would think this is more than likely my problem. Can anyone tell me for sure?

There are no o-rings on the left (chain) side, the o-rings you see on the fiche go on the carrier to help hold it in place when tightened down. You should have an o-ring between the brake stay and the carrier, and one in the brake stay itself. DO NOT rely on these to space out the stay. Please read my previous post, you will prematurely wear out parts if you do this.

stever250r
11-13-2005, 09:54 AM
Its hard to get a clear picture so you can see what Im talking about.

If youi look you can see the gap between the carrier and the swingarm. It is about 1/8 ". This allows the carrier to move left and right inside the swingarm housing.

I am hoping that once I install all the necessary o=rings that this gap and the play will be eliminated.

I was just wondering if anyone knew for certain that the missing o-rings are the only problem

Rich250RRacer
11-13-2005, 09:54 AM

Any more solutions??

You need to get a bushing from a 400EX or a 450R, nothing is needed to secure it. The inner flange will hold it on just fine.

Rich250RRacer
11-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Its hard to get a clear picture so you can see what Im talking about.

If youi look you can see the gap between the carrier and the swingarm. It is about 1/8 ". This allows the carrier to move left and right inside the swingarm housing.

I am hoping that once I install all the necessary o=rings that this gap and the play will be eliminated.

I was just wondering if anyone knew for certain that the missing o-rings are the only problem

The chain side of the carrier must be all the way in, o-rings WILL NOT fix this. Please read previous posts.

beerock
11-13-2005, 02:19 PM
take a pic so everyone can see both sides , make sure its clear, its not that hard