PDA

View Full Version : work out question

450robot
11-11-2005, 08:46 PM
ussually, i work out 5 days a week, for 2 hours, 1 hour of various lifting, streches, crunches, pushups, etc. and an hour of running after

yesterday i was told by my buddy that i should take a days break in between work out nights (i work out from sun-thurs, no breaks)

i asked him why and he said that when you work out back to back, you dont give your muscles time to recover, and it takes away from your ability to gain muscle mass

he also told me i would lose some muscle tone

is this true? should i change my sun thru thurs workout to a every other day routine? (sun-tues-thurs-sat, then mon-wed-fri-sun, repeat)

any knowledge you guys have would be appreciated

fasterblaster09
11-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Yes thats true...I work out monday,wednsday,and friday.And a little on saturday.i say take a days break.

TRX_450
11-11-2005, 08:53 PM
yes its true.....all my coaches have told me that since i only play football to stay in shape i lift the rest of the season and this summer they had us lift for football and had us lift every other day

450robot
11-11-2005, 08:58 PM
thanks for the help guys,

this is kinda good to know too lol, cause i was getting sick of an everyday routine

Kyle_Racer_31
11-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Yeah....It will tear something later down the road if u kept going........i work out Mon, Weds, Fri Mornings and run on Sat.

Atreyu
11-11-2005, 09:06 PM
It wont really benefit you if you work out every day. Your muscles have no time to recover. When you are lifting your kind of ripping muscle and it grows back bigger or stronger. If you give you muscles no time to recover they will only get weaker. You also have to keep your muscles hydrated by drining a lot of water after you work out.

Hondadudeehhhh
11-11-2005, 09:07 PM
what working out does is it tears your muscles, they tear and grow back bigger, But if you over work them they wont recover right like everyone else said.

I work out 5 days a week and im fine, all you have to do is adjust your schedule. For me its upper body one day, lower body the next, then maybe auxilory lifts or speed training. You could work out 7 days a week if you wanted to, just make sure you arent of working certain muscles.

m_townsgreatest
11-11-2005, 09:13 PM
in this book i read it said that if you weight train and run u should run a day then weight train then run and then weight train and so on or vice versa

YFZracer#450
11-11-2005, 11:31 PM
I work out one day, than run the next. I just do that back and fourth. Now I have started to go to the gym and work out for an hour, then go run 1 mile afterwards. I don't go every day, but usualy once or twice a week. I work out at home too. Now, my question is. Does it hurt to work out for 1 hour, then go to the track and run 1 mile after I work out? At the track I run 1/2 a mile and walk 1/2 a mile. So walk one and run one. JW.

omaits
11-12-2005, 06:51 AM
Working out for 2 hours is probably somewhat counter productive as well. I would recommend 1 hour of intense lifting. Chances are, you might be able to get yoru 2 hour workout done in an hour if you work faster. Also, make sure you get a good 8 hour sleep at night. Much of the muscle rebuilding takes place at this time.

I usually take protien right before I go to the gym, right after, before I go to bed, when I wake up in the morning, and eat a protein bar around 10 am. (it is actually better to take it in the middle of the night, but I dotn feel like getting up to drink a shake!). Dont let your body tell you you are hungary or it is too late!

Also, protiens found in tuna, fish, steak, turkey, cottage cheese, etc... is better than any protein shake. You should incorporate these items into yoru diet whenever you can. Drinking 4 shakes a day and not getting any additional protein is not very good.

dober250R
11-12-2005, 08:11 AM
It takes a full 48 hours for a muscle to fully rebuild itself. You can workout everyday of the week if you change the lifts that you're doing. I wouldn't do the same ruitine everyday of the week. But if you change it up and do upper body one day, then legs the next, that would be fine.

MR.BIG
11-12-2005, 09:39 AM
I disagree. I work out mon thru fri. and I work out one maybe two body parts a day so I can get everything in 5 days. Legs,chest,biceps,shoulders,back,triceps. If you work out the same muscles everyday then you obviously need to take a break in between but if you do a different body part everyday you will have no problem. Cardio will make you lose some muscle mass as well.

tater_kamik
11-12-2005, 09:40 AM
i work out every day, but i do a 4 day workout schedule. triceps and chest day one, biceps and back day 2, legs and shoulders day 3, i do a lot of cardio day 4 and hit abs real hard. i run almost every day 1.5 miles, but 3+ miles on my cardio day plus 25+ minutes on an machine. my workout takes about an hour and a half. i also do not keep the same schedule for what workouts i do every week, i like to change what excersizes i do, and learn new ones, as well as do almost nothing but free weights. works pretty good for the most part, though sometimes im not exactly motivated