PDA

View Full Version : 250r guesseting

kicker696
11-11-2005, 04:20 PM
well i am going to start to tear down the 250r in about a week and guesset up my frame, and i want to do it the right way. i need to know where to through all the guessets, and what kind (tube or flat stock)?

1shooter
11-11-2005, 08:26 PM
i think someone sells kits to do it check with some of these other guys they might know better

kicker696
11-12-2005, 07:49 AM
yeh, i know i can buy kits, but i work at a metal fabrication shop, so i can get all the metal free. i am trying to do it as cheap as possible

TheFontMaster
11-12-2005, 08:27 AM
This is Beerock's gusseting pictures, they are the ones I used when I gusseted my frame. I used 1/8 inch flat stock for the gussets, and the gussets that go in between the front shock mounts are hollow round tubing. Andother area that isnt shown on here is the open triange part on the lower rear of the frame by the motor mounts gets boxed in too.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=1897288

kicker696
11-12-2005, 11:22 AM
thanks thats just what i needed, i am going to use 1/4" unless that is to thick, i just think that 1/8" seems small, but what do i know. what gauge wall did you use for the tubing?

TheFontMaster
11-12-2005, 11:27 AM
I never but the tubing in on my frame, I was just going by memory when I put in my gussets, and forgot about those ones. So someone else can answer that.

beerock
11-12-2005, 12:49 PM
1/4" is to thick i beleive 1/8" is what you need. i think the tubing is about 1/2" maybe 5/8 the tubing is about the same width as the square tubing

here are the bottom gussets, if ytou run a skid plate just drill holes

kicker696
11-12-2005, 02:11 PM
i take it you used mig to weld it in, tig is a much nicer looking weld, but almost all paint needs to be removed. I will go with 1/8" then if you think 1/4" is to thick. I will be doing it when i get my new frame, so i will take before and after pics

beerock
11-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by kicker696
i take it you used mig to weld it in, tig is a much nicer looking weld, but almost all paint needs to be removed. I will go with 1/8" then if you think 1/4" is to thick. I will be doing it when i get my new frame, so i will take before and after pics

what year frame? I have a thread up for pics of all the diff year frames to make a comparison for R frames. it be great if you could take picsof before and after, if you do all those gussets, i can use your frame pics as the full gusseted frame. I never took pics of my update(2 triangles on bottom of frame). I would ike to use pictures form the same frame when doing the comparison so hopefully you can hook it up.

yes it was a mig, but the TIG welding point is higher then the mig which will make the frame metal more brittle in the gusseted areas. thats my opinion though.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1901556#post1901556

beerock
11-12-2005, 02:47 PM
heres a close up of the tubes

find the center of the middle brace and do a rough cut on the tubes for gusseting use a sharpie on the new tubes. and place them in front of where they will go. cut the tubes and then start using a grinder to get the angles to fit flush on the sides and bottom.

kicker696
11-12-2005, 02:49 PM
i c what you mean, i never thought of that.......hm.......it will make it mor brittle but it will have a deeper penetration on the metal than a mig would, i will really have to think about that i guess.

about the pics, i would be more than willing to help ya out there, i just hope i remember to take them!! but if i don't i am going to be doing another frame, actually the one that is on my bike right now, so i should be able to get ya pics off of that one, being that i forget.

both frames are 89's, one thing i didn't see on your pics is a guesset on the shock mounts, and a-arm mounts. The reason i ask is because the frame that is on my bike now is cracked by both the a-arm mounts, and the shock mounts. I don't know if this is just somthing of the 88-89 frames or what, just somthing else i noticed.

beerock
11-12-2005, 03:04 PM
where exactly on the shock mounts and a-arm mounts?

that frame could have been beaten and bottomed out alot?

you cant strengthen for bottoming out, if your bike is constantly bottoming out its gonna break. Hell any aftermarket frame will break with to much botoming out as well. good shocks help longevity of a frame to a point.

The temperature was a big thing for me so thats why i decided to use a mig. I think the temp is too high with tig like i said my opinion.

kicker696
11-12-2005, 07:14 PM
yeh, i dunno how hard it was ridden, i just picked the quad up about a month ago, i was out of quads for about a year due to financial problems. I am getting a new frame so i know that it is good, cause i have found cracks left and right on this frame, i plan to just use the one i have now as a back up.

After thinking about it, i think your right that with a tig it would just be to brittle of a weld and cause it to crack faster.

1shooter
11-12-2005, 07:42 PM
i used good old jb weld on mine works fine for those 30ft of air!

lol pulling some ones leg

beerock
11-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by kicker696
yeh, i dunno how hard it was ridden, i just picked the quad up about a month ago, i was out of quads for about a year due to financial problems. I am getting a new frame so i know that it is good, cause i have found cracks left and right on this frame, i plan to just use the one i have now as a back up.

After thinking about it, i think your right that with a tig it would just be to brittle of a weld and cause it to crack faster.

I'm glad you concur. the state of the metal molecules become excited even with the mig welder, but becuase the weld point is lower the bond becomes stronger BECAUSE of the fact that the metal isnt heated up as much and thus becomes stronger then even a tig weld. the tig weld is a stronger bond but because of the fact that the metal is heated up more and becomes more brittle it is actually WEAKER even though the welded area is stronger.

HAHA i bet thats confusing

On a side note, you can talk to different companies that will say they use tig. Theres nothing wrong with that, the fact still remains its more brittle. When you bring your bike back with a crack they will be like, well you know it is a stock frame. BAM there out of responsibility for it. haha if you even try to say it cracked because the molecular bond was tightened and caused the part to be mroe brittle theyll just laugh and give you a strange look. Some companies will just lay it out and say why they use mig over tig for STEEL frames. i dunno im blabbin now.

kicker696
11-12-2005, 08:49 PM
blabble on, i do it all day at work, so i don't mind, besides i do understand everything you were saying.

just a quick idea, what would do you think of chromoly guessets? it will bond to the normal steel just fine, but the actual metal will be stronger, just an idea.

1shooter
11-12-2005, 09:03 PM
damn glad to have read the stuff cause i dont know much about nothing

TheFontMaster
11-12-2005, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by beerock
1/4" is to thick i beleive 1/8" is what you need. i think the tubing is about 1/2" maybe 5/8 the tubing is about the same width as the square tubing

here are the bottom gussets, if ytou run a skid plate just drill holes

I put my gussets for that area on the top of the frame, instead of the bottom like you did. I wanted to run skid plates, and putting it on top just seemed more logical to me.