PDA

View Full Version : Should I worry about the stock timing chain in a Z400?

mc1984
11-11-2005, 03:32 PM
I have been considering buying a KFX 400 and would like to find a used 05. I know that th etiming chains are prone to problems. I was just wondering if this is enough reason for me to buy one or not. I do not and will not race it but my current machine does see a fair amout of hard riding. I probally average riding about once a week. For those of you that have changed it how hard is it? I am mechanically inclined so is it possible to do it myself or do I need special factory tools??

Thanks in advance!!!

Brown450R
11-13-2005, 10:14 AM
They need replaced now and then. It isn't that big of a deal. I haven't done mine yet, I'm about to this afternoon. I have been told it is a pretty easy job. Looks easy. Sounds easy. I guess I'll find out in a few hours.

four
11-13-2005, 08:20 PM
The stock tensioner has a little less travel than others that I've seen, which is the only "problem" with it. I run a 3/4 row Heavy Duty DID chain with mine (HotCams, 10k rpms). The job is fairly easy. While you're checking the valve clearance just set aside an extra 45 minutes and pull the right side cover. Pull the clutch/hub, take off one guide, swap chains and reassemble.

DID also makes a 4 inner 5 outer for the Z. I'd say it's overkill for a stock/mild engine, but for some big bore guys turning 11k it makes for nice peace of mind. The 4/5 runs on top of the guides rather than in them.

panteramatt
11-15-2005, 05:41 AM
If you have aftermarket cams and cdi and ride hard, replace or at least check the chain often.