PDA

View Full Version : Rattle from engine

Rdhanded2
11-11-2005, 01:29 PM
My buddy posted this on Z400 central, but no one can seem to help. Any ideas?

When I get my rpms up to a certain level...about 1/3 throttle no matter if I am in neutral or in gear I hear a grinding sound. It sounds like it is coming from the left side of the engine where all the electrical components are held. The bike seemed unaffected by this but I know there is a problem.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be wrong?

Everyone on there seems to think it is the flywheel bolts coming off. I guess that is a usual problem. That however is not the problem here. The flywheel bolts are all in there and tight. The Stator is fine, and no shaving on it or anything. He and I don't know where to check next, and the people on Z400 are stumped. Any ideas?

huffdaddy_400EX
11-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Rdhanded2

When I get my rpms up to a certain level...about 1/3 throttle no matter if I am in neutral or in gear I hear a grinding sound. It sounds like it is coming from the left side of the engine where all the electrical components are held. The bike seemed unaffected by this but I know there is a problem.

Everyone on there seems to think it is the flywheel bolts coming off. I guess that is a usual problem. That however is not the problem here. The flywheel bolts are all in there and tight. The Stator is fine, and no shaving on it or anything. He and I don't know where to check next, and the people on Z400 are stumped. Any ideas?

You said that it starts at about 1/3 throttle...does it get louder the more throttle you give it?

Rdhanded2
11-12-2005, 02:46 PM
The more throttle, it goes away. Only at low throttle, and happens in any gear or neutral

Rdhanded2
11-14-2005, 06:51 PM
???

AceLtz
11-14-2005, 11:26 PM
im just guessing but have you checked the cam chain? maybe its stretched or isnt tight enough

Rdhanded2
11-15-2005, 07:21 PM
That is something I had not thought about. What is the easiest way to check it?

Titanium
11-15-2005, 08:53 PM
My KFX does the same thing too. but i'm note that worried about it.

crazyz11
11-15-2005, 08:59 PM
you need to check to see how many clicks you have left on the cam chain tensor. all you do is take the bolt off the back of the tensor and pull out the spring. then un bolt the tensor off the jug. if it is all the way out it is time for a D.I.D heavy duty chain. even if you only have a couple of clicks left it is probably still time for a new chain.

Sandgod4
11-25-2005, 07:42 PM
If it's none of the above take your valve cover off. Look for plastic in the valve train.. If you see plastic it's your oil pump gears. They are shot and the ticking is because there isn't enough oil getting to the valve train..

Taz14racer
11-29-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Rdhanded2

Is it a click noise? Cuz my 03 Z400 was making a click noise and it was the cam chain. It had a kink in it. Or it could be a Fly wheel.

03 Z400
Alba Action
WB exhaust
Maxxis Razzars (R)
ITP Holeshot (F)
Douglass Rims
Oneal Pro-Lock
AC Proteced