PDA

View Full Version : TRX450R Kickstart vs. electric

11-11-2005, 11:41 AM
I'm looking to get a 06' 450r I'm debating between the kickstart and electric, what is everyones opinion between the two. I'm running a CDale now and am leaning toward someting that does not rely on a battery to start...how diifficult is it to kick over with a higher compression piston as well. Any input would be appreciated. Tks

khen
11-11-2005, 11:56 AM
I don't have an '06.. But on my '04 it is easy to kick with the 13:1 compression piston. Once you learn the quad you can almost always start it first or second kick.

From what I've read, the '06's(electric not sure on kick) are a little bit more onry to start in stock form. But once you open it up and jet it, the starting issues go away.

If it were me I would go with kickstart again for the simplicity and weight advantage.

Cdaleracer
11-11-2005, 12:01 PM
I have an 05 TRX and I like my kickstart. I went from a Cdale to the Honda also. Glad I did:D

2MuchChi450R
11-11-2005, 12:25 PM
I think if you go with a Cannondale, you'll have more problems than you'll think of. There was one local woods racer that was racing at an event and his bike caught fire and burnt to the ground :eek2: Let alone the cost of parts to replace :rolleyes:

I have a new higher comp piston in my '04, 13:1, and haven't noticed a difference in the feel when I kick it. I think it's due to the auto-decompression release on the cam itself.

11-11-2005, 12:58 PM
I think if you go with a Cannondale, you'll have more problems than you'll think of. There was one local woods racer that was racing at an event and his bike caught fire and burnt to the ground Let alone the cost of parts to replace

I have a Dale now..parts are actually pretty cheap...and yes I've have been through all the probs and worked through it and those bikes are bad when u get them running right.... tyler lening is who you are referring too who's dale caught on fire.

Anyway....I'm looking to get an 06' 450r and wasnt sure if i wanted kick or electric and trying to find out riders preference of those who had the choice of the 06 model and what they chose and why.

thrasher_ex
11-11-2005, 01:26 PM
yeah, im in the same boat as you. not sure which to get. but i think im gonna get electric start because i mainly do woods riding and kicking a quad while stalled on a hill doesnt seem that easy when i need to hold on all the brakes. weight doesnt matter much either to me. and i dont want to wait. those are some of the reasons.....whatever suits your riding style i guess

11-11-2005, 02:47 PM
yeah, im in the same boat as you. not sure which to get. but i think im gonna get electric start because i mainly do woods riding and kicking a quad while stalled on a hill doesnt seem that easy when i need to hold on all the brakes. weight doesnt matter much either to me. and i dont want to wait. those are some of the reasons.....whatever suits your riding style i guess

I ride XC as well my concern was kicking it over while hot and me being tired...I heard sometimes kicking it over while hot was a chore...as far as hills anything I go up that i cant make and happen to stall my bike.... I turn my machine around anyway and take another shot at it...electric start may start it up but not sure you'd get the traction to make it the rest of the way up the climb from a dead stop.

I read somewhere some cases were cracking or have been cracked from being kickstarted hot? Any input on that?

khen
11-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Mine starts easier when it's hot, I start it sitting down and it starts with little more than the weight of my leg(using the hot start). As far as cases cracking, it's usually caused by giving it throttle when you try to start it.. THAT'S A BIG NO-NO!

11-11-2005, 09:02 PM
i love the kickstart, i would never switch to the ER after riding a kicker, i like it much better

supradean
11-12-2005, 11:21 AM
i have electric on mine but my buddies have kick.
The kick isnt hard at all, its actually pretty easy. I could kick it bare foot if i had to.
The electric is nice if you are a woods rider/hill climbs...i wouldnt have it any other way personally.

2MuchChi450R
11-12-2005, 11:45 AM
It all boils down to what you want in the quad. If you're looking to just ride it or race in the woods/gncc-type racing, go with the electric start. If you're in MX where it doesn't require a dead motor start and a little less weight, go with the kicker. It's really personal preference.

Didn't Dinli buy the Dale plans last or this year?

11-12-2005, 05:35 PM
I think if you go with a Cannondale, you'll have more problems than you'll think of. There was one local woods racer that was racing at an event and his bike caught fire and burnt to the ground

I saw that happen to someone on the site

Antny100
11-13-2005, 09:52 AM
I'm going with an electric start 450R for convience. I think the problem with your c'dale is it has an electric fuel pump therefore, the battery has to be charged to start the darn thing. I've had a 400EX with hi compression piston and mild cam(electric of course) and have never had any problems starting. Electric starting is a blessing for XC riders, but not so desired for MXers