PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about building an a R

Mxjunkie
11-10-2005, 10:49 PM
I found a 89 frame at my dads friends shop I was just wondering how hard is it to build a R from the frame up? I dont like used parts so that might bite me in the behind..

Motor I dont know what I want to do with it yet, maybe a mild 250 or a 265..

It's going to be a xc bike.

Are parts hard to find?

I make maybe 180 a week so it will take me awhile but! I wanna do it :D

250R-Dee
11-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Josh.. if I can build one from the frame up while living in Japan, I am pretty sure you will have very little problems building one in the US. I got a quite a few parts off of here but most of my parts came from Ebay.

You might want to look into 450R brakes because a lot of the people selling used used 250R are diehard crackheads!!

I am not fond of used parts either but I have gotten some excellent deals.

slamdak8782
11-11-2005, 01:09 AM
dont try this project. Trust me you will waste your money. I tried it is just a major pain in the *** If you do want to build one find a used complete bike for less than 2000 and do it that way it will be a lot cheaper trust me on this please. You will be happier and be putting in seat time a lot faster.:D

Tom TRX250R
11-11-2005, 02:28 AM
It's really not hard to build one, but the little parts like grommets and mounts start adding up. Honestly, it is worth it in the end just to buy a cheap R and build it up from there. A lot easier on the wallet:D

bananas
11-11-2005, 05:38 AM
I love My R, but you will send alot of money!!!! Go get a TRX450r 2006... And pay a 100.00 a month.... Honda Credit....

Coyoteman
11-11-2005, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by bananas
I love My R, but you will send alot of money!!!! Go get a TRX450r 2006... And pay a 100.00 a month.... Honda Credit....

I agree. Unless you are dead set on a 250R, follow this advice.

zedicus00
11-11-2005, 06:49 AM
build a 250R, its a good experience. heck theres even complete bolt kits on ebay, dont be afraid of used parts iether. just watch out for deals that seem to good to be tru.

bananas
11-11-2005, 07:41 AM
Yes there is alot of stuff on ebay, but watch out alot of S___ too.
Bolt kits,,, Make sure they are a hard steel.. Many of the cheap kits don't have everything and they are cheap metal...

Try to buy new if you can, because what you buy might not have the right bolts or nuts or washers...etc.....

You will find out just about everything on this site if you do it...

Good luck....

PS
Get a good metric tool set...

theTman
11-11-2005, 07:48 AM
i say if you really wanna do it...go for it...

motors are 450+...all the way up to the 1000s...so good luck on that

250Renvy
11-11-2005, 08:16 AM
How much money do you have right now cause I have an Pretty nice 88 that has been sitting for the last month with a big hole in the case. Since you'll probably want to rebuild any motor you get anyway this would be a good project. Since you don't need a frame. I could take it all apart and send it in one big box.

It's a good shape complete bike right now, I'm just deciding what to do with it. Trying to find used CHEAP parts has been hard. If I had a but load of cash I would have sent the motor out to a professional and get new cases etc, plus I don't want mixed parts ie 86 or 87 on my 88 even though I know they fit.

PM Me your email and I'll send pics if interested. We'll discuss a price depending on what you want.

Mxjunkie
11-11-2005, 12:21 PM
so from what it sounds, it would be better to find a junker like my banshee was and fix it?

Cr85rRida
11-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
so from what it sounds, it would be better to find a junker like my banshee was and fix it?

in a nut shell yes. I got a preety nice R off this site and so far i put on an ESR TRX6 pipe and silencer. Air box ( they had the eliminator kit on her) New bumper and all new tires and plastics (full bore). Its coming out great. Make sure you get a good running one to and take it from there. Sell all the stock parts you replaced with after market to so you have money for the next peice lol:D

Jake250ex
11-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by bananas

And pay a 100.00 a month....

until your 25 :eek:

wilkin250r
11-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69

In reality, the BEST bet would be to buy a complete, modded 250r.

Scenario #1 - $5000 would get you something rather nice, complete with full aftermarket suspension, and a great motor kit to match. The good stuff, Burgard, Elka, Lonestar, and a motor kit from a recognized racing company.

Scenario #2 - $3000 would get you a decent 250r, but not a whole lot of mods, may no-name A-arms and Works shocks. It would run good, but it needs $1000 in a-arms and such, $2000 in shocks, and another $1000 in motor mods to turn it into Scenario #1

Tom is right. All them little grommets, brackets, cables, levers, and such all add up. And you may HAVE to buy them new, not too many people selling used brake line brackets, or brake levers, or clutch perches, or little things like that.

But if you want to do it slowly, a couple hundred bucks at a time, then a clunker is probably the way to go, and certainly preferable to trying to start with a bare frame and build from the ground up. You would be nickel and dimed to death.

punker69q
11-11-2005, 03:46 PM
It's better to buy a fully tricked out 250r. I got my trc - pep - elka - duncan racing 100% aftermarket 250r for a ridiculous price.

JTRtrx250r
11-11-2005, 04:22 PM
I say go for it, find a junker or full-on roller, look at what you did w/ the Shee;) I'd go that route man

It is an experiance to build an R. The guys saying it'll be $pendy are somewhat right... all depending on how YOU go about it, if you want brand new trickery... YES it will get $pendy... just like anything else. If you take your time and settle for used parts for now.. you can swap them out at a later time. I had a Shee b4 my R... now I got 2 R's;)

You can do eit!:D

TheFontMaster
11-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Like everyone else has said, for the money that it would cost to build an R from the ground up, you could have bought one thats a bit nicer, or bought a junker and have one nicer than what you would end up with from a frame up build. Bu on the other hand if you are planning on going new for everything, you will know exactly what you have into your 250r, and it's just more fun building it from the frame up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/fonty/Picture290.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/fonty/Picture291.jpg

slamdak8782
11-11-2005, 06:06 PM
wow fontmaster that is sexy

Rich250RRacer
11-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Alot of people are saying buy one with all the mods, and there's nothing wrong with that, especially motor mods if they're all documented. But when it comes to suspension, take into consideration the cost of setting up the suspension to suit your riding ability and style. Just because it may have PEP, Axis, Elka or whatever on it doesn't mean it's gonna work for you. Getting the shocks revalved and resprung isn't cheap and paying extra for a bike with these may cost you even more in the long run. I prefer the idea of finding a decent stock or close to stock bike and building it the way YOU want it.

beobe99
11-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Right now im about 80% done my R project and im glad I did it form the ground up.. Started with a bare frame.. had it powder coated, and just started ebay'ing, this site, and **********.com.. I LOVE projects.. Love the fact that I am the one who decides on every single bolt on this machine..

YES it can be a huge pain in the arse with little gommets, washers, special nut, etc etc at times I said out loud "man i should of just bought a whole R and stripped it down" but for the most part I think starting from scratch has bin great (Just dont think youll be done in no time at all) do NOT give yourself a dead line if you have a budget although i did (before the first snow flake hits! hehe)

If you do this project do it right... DO NOT rush it threw cause it will turn out like crap... Also remmeber everything you do (if done right) will be worth something to someone if you were to sell it off..

I say go for it!!!

beerock
11-13-2005, 11:27 PM
I personally feel a ground up is the best way to go. if you buy a used R theres no telling whats gonna break or be worn until you finally have it and find out. if you build it form the ground up the bike will be NEW and will not need replacement parts for 6 to 12 months of constant riding.

wilkin250r
11-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
Getting the shocks revalved and resprung isn't cheap and paying extra for a bike with these may cost you even more in the long run. I prefer the idea of finding a decent stock or close to stock bike

No way, unless you start getting really fancy, like converting a no-link setup back to a linkage, or something along those lines.

But if you're dealing with a standard setup, stock-length swinger, +2 a-arms, stock linkage ect. It will cost $800 to re-valve a set of Elkas to your weight and riding style, and you're done.

Converting from stock, it will cost you $500 in A-arms, $400 in axle, and $1600 in front and rear shocks.

Revising an already top-notch setup for yourself is almost ALWAYS cheaper than upgrading from stock. It's a whole lot cheaper to revalve a set of Axis than it is to buy brand new.

Now, if you've got an absurd setup that needs to change completely, then yes, it can be costly. But you got to be an idiot to take that route anyways. If the quad isn't already close to your desired setup, why would you buy it? If you want an MX bike, why the heck would you start with a sand-dragger?